autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time Dilemma

Post Thanks / Like

Time Dilemma

I currently have a time dilemma when it comes to washing my F150. I feel for a wheels first and then 2 bucket wash method and with drying properly and then a final pray wax it takes almost 2 hours. I don't want to cut corners but I have been reading more and more about the foam cannons and foam guns. I do not have a pressure washer at this time but may in the future. Mostly talking about the foam guns.

I know there is a lot of different methods around the foam guns. Foam then 2 bucket method, foam then rinse bucket, foam then spray foam in mid and then 1 rinse bucket.....etc. I want to understand that if i use the foam gun on my truck and then use wash mid with just a rinse bucket if I will save time and still decrease my chance of swirls/marks/etc?

I don't mind doing the 2 bucket method but I have 2 kids now with one due pretty much any day. I want to try and keep my truck clean as much as I can without taking a half of a day to do this.

Also is there another method that I may be overlooking that can help me become more efficient in washing my large truck?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time Dilemma

I don't know that a foam gun saves any time (and I've been using one for a dozen years). What should save you time is switching to a rinseless wash method.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-detailer.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link and suggestion. I will read through that

Also you said that you have been using foam gun for some time. How are you using it and does it effectively clean as good as a dual bucket method?

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it cleans as effectively as a two-bucket method (2BM), you're still washing the car the same way.

I use one bucket (rinse bucket with grit guard). I rinse the car off with water, foam a section at a time, wash as usual. I mean maybe it's marginally faster than using two buckets.

The real draw of the foam gun is that you get the value of some sort of "pre-soak" as the foam gets to dwell on the surface for some amount of time (depends on how long you let it dwell) to start to loosen/dissolve things before you mechanically contact the paint. However, I'm not convinced there is any real tangible benefit (as there is with pressure washing).

FWIW I still use conventional methods for wheels and tires even when I do a rinseless wash, partly beacause I have tons of conventional wash, but also because it just seems easier that way. Perhaps I just haven't been forced to develop a good rinseless technique for wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

withe types of wheels I have i would continue to do the conventional way as well. To many spokes to get in between. Also want to make sure the barrels are nice and clean as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post
    I currently have a time dilemma when it comes to washing my F150. I feel for a wheels first and then 2 bucket wash method and with drying properly and then a final pray wax it takes almost 2 hours. I don't want to cut corners but I have been reading more and more about the foam cannons and foam guns. I do not have a pressure washer at this time but may in the future. Mostly talking about the foam guns.

I know there is a lot of different methods around the foam guns. Foam then 2 bucket method, foam then rinse bucket, foam then spray foam in mid and then 1 rinse bucket.....etc. I want to understand that if i use the foam gun on my truck and then use wash mid with just a rinse bucket if I will save time and still decrease my chance of swirls/marks/etc?

I don't mind doing the 2 bucket method but I have 2 kids now with one due pretty much any day. I want to try and keep my truck clean as much as I can without taking a half of a day to do this.

Also is there another method that I may be overlooking that can help me become more efficient in washing my large truck?

Thanks
    A foam gun isn't going to save you any time.. I'm not sure how many mitts you're using during your bucket wash, but if you're only using 1 try buying 5-6 more and put them all in your bucket come wash time. That way you don't have to constantly lean over and dunk your arm into the rinse bucket.. Instead you can just toss a used mitt into your second bucket and grab a fresh 1 and continue washing. You should be able to get through half the truck or more before stopping.

And if you want to make it even faster and safer, instead of dunking the mitts when it comes time... Just quikly rinse them off with your hose nozzle and toss them back into your wash bucket.

After you rinse the soap off your truck, make sure to do a final sheeting rinse if you're not already doing so.. After that the drying process should take no more than 6min. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Another tip: Get yourself an ordinary squeegee and use it immediately after you've rinsed all
    The soap off your truck. Doing this is quik and will leave your windows about 90% and greatly reduces the time you'll need to spend on them later with glass cleaner and towel...

What's your process for cleaning your wheels & tires? Products?

Post Thanks / Like

A rinseless wash should save you some time. Although it takes me about 2 hours to do my Charger (I'm slow), paint, wheels/tires and glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently i use Eagle One PVD wheel and tire cleaner as it is safe on my PVD Wheels. After spraying that on the tires and wheels and letting it dwell for about 2 minutes I use a combination of hard bristle brush for tires and wheel woolies on the barrels and wheels. These sit in a soapy bucket with 2 grit guards

I do one wheel at a time. After washing them I then move on to the rest of the truck. The wheels have a decent amount of spoke and are not the easiest to clean. hen I am done washing the car and drying I then dry the wheels with Meg's UQW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post
    Currently i use Eagle One PVD wheel and tire cleaner as it is safe on my PVD Wheels. After spraying that on the tires and wheels and letting it dwell for about 2 minutes I use a combination of hard bristle brush for tires and wheel woolies on the barrels and wheels. These sit in a soapy bucket with 2 grit guards

I do one wheel at a time. After washing them I then move on to the rest of the truck. The wheels have a decent amount of spoke and are not the easiest to clean. hen I am done washing the car and drying I then dry the wheels with Meg's UQW
    You should look into a Master Blaster Sidekick. It's great for drying wheels & tires, and all the nooks & crannies. You'd love that thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast