autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Winter Tips & Techniques

As I watched the local news at lunch today and heard the weather forecast for low twenties tomorrow night, I know snow is right around the corner.

I’ve read and appreciate all the advice related to winter paint protection (sealers/wax), but I would also be interested in advice relating to everyday maintenance. I know there’s no way I’m going to get through a winter without introducing some minor (?) swirls or scratches, but hopefully some of you have learned some tips and techniques to improve my chances.

I’m sitting here now wondering what would be the best way to handle the removal of snow from my black car when I leave work and it’s been snowing all day. Just clear the windows and, as much of the rest of the car without getting down to the paint surface? Also, I read one post that recommended wrapping a micro-fiber around the snow brush to clear snow off the car, good idea? I’m trying to picture myself doing that as the snow and wind are howling through the parking lot, but I'm willing to try anything to get through this winter with a minimal amount of damage.

When I get home and park in my detached garage, am I better off leaving whatever snow is left on the car or heating the garage with my kerosene torpedo heater to melt what’s remaining ?

As they salt the streets (%$#&^%#), should I be trying to keep up with getting any salt off every night or is just planning for a weekend clean-up safe enough? I purchased some DP 4&1 and I’m waiting on delivery of some DP Waterless. I’ll still need to figure out how I’m going to trap the water that will end up on the floor from any DP winter washing (maybe just some old towels?). Are there any specific techniques for using any of these products effectively?

I guess I’m interested in any and all tips and techniques you’ve discovered regarding winter maintenance on a daily driver.

Thanks … Tom in Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom- it's not going to be easy To get through winter that is.

On the paint with light and fluffy snow, leave about 3/4" of snow on the paint so you don't touch the paint. The remaining snow will likely blow off without any issues to your vehicle or the people behind you. However, when you get into the wet snow and ice, this is where the marring occurs. If you have sheets of ice on your paint, turn the engine and heat on to try and warm it up as much as possible. You don't want the ice to slide on the paint which could happen if you leave it on there and drive. See if you can gently break the ice and pick it up and off of the paint. I would just let the snow blow off and melt in the garage, if it is soft and not ice.

I have heard that salt doesn't cause any issues unless it goes through a cycle of warmth and damp air changes- ie warm garage and hot water. It may be better to let the salt stay on the paint until you have time / weather to clean it off ... not just the paint but underneath as well. As for the DP washes, you shouldn't have too much water on the ground, probably not enough to be conerned about.

Damage is pretty much inevitable in the winter time which sucks. But think of it this way, you'll have plenty of work in the spring . In the winter I try and not worry about the vehicles all that much. I'll wash them whenever the weather allows but if its going to be below freezing for a few weeks, I'll just hope that my LSP is strong enough to get through the winter .

Post Thanks / Like
    I read somewhere if you spray silicone in the wheel wells of your car that the snow and ice won't build up in them. Also use silicone on the rubber gaskets so they don't stick when it gets icy and the snow melts and re-freezes etc. Well not getting that cold yet in Iowa, but the day time and night time temps are getting to be almost the same.
    No it's not obsessive compulsive to have the right gear to make your car look wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be careful when using silicone because that may deteriorate trim and rubber prematurely... water based products are much safer.