autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating WITHOUT Correction??

Quote Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
    Do you also explain to your customers that due to improper prep the coating may or may not last longer than a properly prepped waxed protected detail? Because if you did that, I couldn't imagine anyone who would still insist on not prepping the finish the right way. So how do you end up with satisfied customers?
    Any customer out there who is informed about how a coating is designed to hold up,more than likely won't skimp on prep work.Nobody has ever asked me to skip all the prep before coating.However did a porche gt4 needed no prep just eraser and coat 400.00 for 5 hrs work.Till this day car looks beautiful and marr free.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Any customer out there who is informed about how a coating is designed to hold up,more than likely won't skimp on prep work.Nobody has ever asked me to skip all the prep before coating.However did a porche gt4 needed no prep just eraser and coat 400.00 for 5 hrs work.Till this day car looks beautiful and marr free.
    That maybe the difference between standards. If you ever polished a car, you'd know the difference it makes. In any case, as I said in an earlier post, it is sad to see these types of posts/replies on a dedicated detailing forum. In the past we used to come here to learn how to do things the RIGHT way and what it took to get the to the highest level, no matter the price point. But here we are in late 2016, and members are going at us for suggesting to do things the right way. Great!

Post Thanks / Like

Not a pro, just a hobbyist here. But I have owned my own businesses for the last 25 years. The customer is king. You give them what they want and are willing to pay for or they will find someone who will, period. Of course, you give your professional recommendation and advice. Then you let the person writing the check decide.

Nice to see so many wealthy detailers that can tell the customer it's my way or take your business elsewhere. Wish I could blow $400 jobs because I will not deviate from a rigid philosophy.

Post Thanks / Like

That maybe the difference between standards. If you ever polished a car, you'd know the difference it makes. In any case, as I said in an earlier post, it is sad to see these types of posts/replies on a dedicated detailing forum. In the past we used to come here to learn how to do things the RIGHT way and what it took to get the to the highest level, no matter the price point. But here we are in late 2016, and members are going at us for suggesting to do things the right way. Great!
    This probably isn't the norm about coating on top of swirls and inferior prep staging.This posted by ranger is more than likely a isolated question with a customer who deosnt want to pay for polishing.I will stand my ground though if you get a car that deosnt need polishing coat it.I would rather get paid 350.00 for 4 hrs of work,then to slave over a car for 9 hrs for a extra 200.If you are fronted with a rare opportunity when you get a new car that deosnt need all that prep work why do it.95 percent of cars need something prior to coat.I know a high end detailer that charges 350.00 for hydro 2 and gets it all day long.Is he a hack absolutely not.He makes sure the customer is happy and works within there budget.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MTCarNut View Post
    Not a pro, just a hobbyist here. But I have owned my own businesses for the last 25 years. The customer is king. You give them what they want and are willing to pay for or they will find someone who will, period. Of course, you give your professional recommendation and advice. Then you let the person writing the check decide.

Nice to see so many wealthy detailers that can tell the customer it's my way or take your business elsewhere. Wish I could blow $400 jobs because I will not deviate from a rigid philosophy.
    You are not getting it. To offer a coating, you take the necessary steps to provide the result to your standards. Maybe you guys are way undercharging for your services and that is why you are skipping steps. Who are your competitions? What do they charge for a traditional polish and protection job where the "wax" is gone in a few weeks? You are offering a coating that should keep the finish in "just detailed" condition for 12/18 months. How much more $$ should your service cost? Why would there "NOT" be a polishing step? In my 15 plus years doing this, not once have I had a customer telling me that they didn't want a particular step for any reason. Again this mentality has nothing to do with rigidity or "my way or the hi way". It is about providing a better quality job than the next guy. But hey, if you are ok with skipping steps, it is not my name on the line.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    This probably isn't the norm about coating on top of swirls and inferior prep staging.This posted by ranger is more than likely a isolated question with a customer who deosnt want to pay for polishing.I will stand my ground though if you get a car that deosnt need polishing coat it.I would rather get paid 350.00 for 4 hrs of work,then to slave over a car for 9 hrs for a extra 200.If you are fronted with a rare opportunity when you get a new car that deosnt need all that prep work why do it.95 percent of cars need something prior to coat.I know a high end detailer that charges 350.00 for hydro 2 and gets it all day long.Is he a hack absolutely not.He makes sure the customer is happy and works within there budget.
    Do you know that when you polish a car the finish looks glossier? So if your answer is yes, give me an example when a new car doesn't need a quick polishing step prior to protection? Because they all benefit from it. Why would it take you an extra 5 hours to do a finishing polish step? It doesn't make any sense. 5 hours? You guys should ask Mike Phillips if he ever does what you guys are doing and not polish a car prior to protection.

Post Thanks / Like

You are not getting it. To offer a coating, you take the necessary steps to provide the result to your standards. Maybe you guys are way undercharging for your services and that is why you are skipping steps. Who are your competitions? What do they charge for a traditional polish and protection job where the "wax" is gone in a few weeks? You are offering a coating that should keep the finish in "just detailed" condition for 12/18 months. How much more $$ should your service cost? Why would there "NOT" be a polishing step? In my 15 plus years doing this, not once have I had a customer telling me that they didn't want a particular step for any reason. Again this mentality has nothing to do with rigidity or "my way or the hi way". It is about providing a better quality job than the next guy. But hey, if you are ok with skipping steps, it is not my name on the line.
    I get it, but on a brand new car off the transporter its not a given that it will need correction.

Do you think the thousands and thousands of people that pay $1K plus for "paint protection" at the dealership are getting multi-step correction? How many care or even know the difference? They're lucky if they get a single coat of wax for their $1000.

Post Thanks / Like

I get it, but on a brand new car off the transporter its not a given that it will need correction.

Do you think the thousands and thousands of people that pay $1K plus for "paint protection" at the dealership are getting multi-step correction? How many care or even know the difference? They're lucky if they get a single coat of wax for their $1000.
    So dealers are scam artists, charging coating prices and giving their customers a wax job instead?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all I wasn't talking about correction. I was suggesting a polishing step. As far as the dealership offerings, of course they are not providing the same quality or proper steps. I've seen It first hand. But why bring up the dealer? I thought this place was frequented by people who wanted to provide superior service over what the stealers provide. I guess I was wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    I don't ever try to tell people how to run their business, but instead just try to offer some balance to the conversation because as a detailer, one of their goals is to make a profit and multiple step buff jobs take more time and if your customer doesn't know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel then just make their paint clean and shiny and move forward.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-squirrel.html

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast