autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help me choosing one dedicated coating for customers.

Hello everyone.

I am still new to coating and need to pick one brand coating for future jobs.

So far I have tried Mckee's, Gtechniq ( C4 trim coating only) and Carpro CQUK.

First my top 3 choices are
    1. polish angel cosmic
    2. Gtechniq crystal serum light
    3. Carpro CQUK

What I am looking for are, in order,
    Shine, Durability, and hardness

Polish Angel would be perfect IF durability wasnt the shortest compare to other two.
    My experience with CQUK wasnt as easy as i expected so its my last choice at the moment.
    Lastly, crystal serum light looks like great product, but I have no experience.
    But if I go with Gtechniq, I think I will like to add EXO on top of it and idk... i like to keep things simple
    and adding exo will increase the cost.....

can anyone help me make up my mind?
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me choosing one dedicated coating for customers.

I would consider adding Gloss Coat to your list.

Post Thanks / Like

Gloss Coat is very easy to apply and really is well known on the market.I called them on the phone for a application question and got Yvan on the phone with the advice I needed. He was very nice and took his time to make sure I got my question answered to my satisfaction.

Post Thanks / Like

I have nothing bad to say about Polish Angel Viking Coat. Been on the Zaino train for years made the plunge to the polish angel. Recently did my GM vehicles and my brothers black Audi. Beautiful shine. No idea how long it will last in the real world but the cleaning abilities to wash the vehicle after the coating is superb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would consider adding Gloss Coat to your list.
    I haven't tried Gloss Coat, but I have experience with Opti-Lens. I wasn't huge fan of syringe bottle also opti lens only lasted about a year and that wasn't good experience for me :/
    So it wasnt very good experience with opt coating thats why its not on my list, but I sure will try it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    I have nothing bad to say about Polish Angel Viking Coat. Been on the Zaino train for years made the plunge to the polish angel. Recently did my GM vehicles and my brothers black Audi. Beautiful shine. No idea how long it will last in the real world but the cleaning abilities to wash the vehicle after the coating is superb.
    I actually have PA viking coat coming in next monday. I really wanted to try COSMIC, but for my customer who is moving to canada for couple years for work, I thought VC would be better choice as it is made for cold weather and have more chemical resistance including road salts.

Polish Angle claims 2 years protection with regular maintance on both COSMIC and VC, but thats a whole year shorter than my 2 other choices.
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

PBL Surface coat also claims 3 years.

Mike Phillips

My choice as of today is Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating v2

1. Easy to use.
    2. Lasts as long as necessary
    3. Looks glassy.
    4. Feels slippery and slick - some coatings feel rubbery and to me that's a big negative.
    5. There's two maintenance products, the Booster and the Detailer and they both work great and can be used by your customer.

Black Label Coating Detailer & Booster - Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

Here's what I know from experience about coatings. If the coated car is a daily driver, unless it is washed OFTEN and I mean often... then just like paint gets dirty or stained, the coating becomes dirty and stained.

I explain what happens to the paint on daily drivers here,

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

And the only way to remove the dirt stain is to re-polish the paint and when you do this you have KNOW idea how much if any of any coating is left behind so the only true option to guarantee the paint is coated and protected, (that's two things), is to re-coat the car.

So in my humble opinion, any car that is coated AND is a daily driver, not a garage queen, needs to be re-polished at least on a yearly basis to maintain a perfect finish. I would define the word perfect to mean not only are all paint defects removed, things like swirls, scratches and water spots, but the dirt stain that build up as a normal part of owning and driving a car.

I explain this in an article I wrote about 20 years ago here,

The Lesson White Paint Teaches Us

So if I'm right, and I could be wrong, but if I'm right, then coatings that last longer than two years might be great on the protection side but on the pristine beauty side, one year is more than enough because the paint/coating is going to become stained with dirt or road film and the only way to 100% insure the road film is removed is to re-polish the paint and the brings us to a Catch-22 situation.

Just my humble opinion....

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your input Mike!!

Do you have experience with carpro cquarts by any chance?
    To me, CQUK feels "rubbery" like you mentioned, I think that is exactly right expression.
    I tried to move my finger crossed the coated area and it felt like surface was somewhat.... grabbing my finger from sliding.

Also I've looked at Black Label Diamond Paint Coating v2
    and after hearing your recommendation, maybe I need to reconsider.

Btw what is difference between Black Label Diamond Paint Coating v2 and Black Label Surface Coating?
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choijw2 View Post
    To me, CQUK feels "rubbery" like you mentioned, I think that is exactly right expression.
    I tried to move my finger crossed the coated area and it felt like surface was somewhat.... grabbing my finger from sliding.

Btw what is difference between Black Label Diamond Paint Coating v2 and Black Label Surface Coating?
    Interesting, I use CQ and CQUK all the time and feel nothing but smoothness.
    That said, my DD has PBL DCv1 and holds up, the main diff (as I understand it) between v1 and v2 was longevity.
    But as Mike states, if it's a DD, a yearly refresh in spring usually includes a polish, which at that point the coating will need to be reinstalled.

IMO, PBL is by far one of the easiest and nicest looking coatings. I have NEVER struggled with high-spots, and it just works fantastic. Like I said, have them on my DD's.

The Garage Queen has CQUK. The only issue with CarPro, is you're going to have to look at the temp ranges, CQ if it's hot / humid, CQUK for cooler conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choijw2 View Post

Do you have experience with carpro cquarts by any chance?

surface is for all surfaces and V2 is for paint

also, id like to know if there is something on AG that mike has NOT tried..lol

lastly @mike if there is one brand you would consider yours what would it be? we all know @nick has McKee's as his baby so which product would you consider yours or that you help them most with in R&D

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast