autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help Me Decide On Which New Toy To Get

I have a Flex 3401 (which I like very much) but have been wanting to get my hands on a Rupes LHR21 MarkII. I've read and heard a lot of great things about that machine. I also would like to try a rotary polisher and have been looking at either the Makita 9227C or the Flex PE14. I was dead set on getting the Rupes unit, but when I think that I already have a DA polisher, I start to think it would probably make more sense to get the rotary. I know what the risks are with a rotary polisher. I have guinea pig cars I can play with to get comfortable with a machine, product or procedure before I use it on a car that matters. What would you guys recommend if you had to choose one (for now)? What are the pros and cons to each when compared to each other? Can you really compound/polish significantly faster with a rotary?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Me Decide On Which New Toy To Get

if you're looking into a long throw DA, take a look at the BOSS G21...
    Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long Throw Orbital Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
    I have a Flex 3401 (which I like very much) but have been wanting to get my hands on a Rupes LHR21 MarkII. I've read and heard a lot of great things about that machine. I also would like to try a rotary polisher and have been looking at either the Makita 9227C or the Flex PE14. I was dead set on getting the Rupes unit, but when I think that I already have a DA polisher, I start to think it would probably make more sense to get the rotary. I know what the risks are with a rotary polisher. I have guinea pig cars I can play with to get comfortable with a machine, product or procedure before I use it on a car that matters. What would you guys recommend if you had to choose one (for now)? What are the pros and cons to each when compared to each other? Can you really compound/polish significantly faster with a rotary?
    Yes if your experienced in finishing down with a rotary.But your still doing more work .cut polishing and jeweling polish.Stick with the 3401 less work no halograms.Rotary is great for dampsanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you're looking into a long throw DA, take a look at the BOSS G21...
    Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long Throw Orbital Polisher

That looks like a great machine as well. I tried looking for comparisons between that and the LHR21 MarkII but all I could find is comparisons between the G21 and the LHR21ES. They both seem more similar than different. They're even close enough in price that it makes choosing one over the other more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Yes if your experienced in finishing down with a rotary.But your still doing more work .cut polishing and jeweling polish.Stick with the 3401 less work no halograms.Rotary is great for dampsanding.
    I was thinking about using a rotary for the compounding stage (if a heavy cut compound is needed) then refining everything with the DA and a polish. I was assuming a rotary would cut the time of the compounding step in half.

Post Thanks / Like

With the 3401 and forced rotation I personally don't see any advantage of getting a rotary. But then again, I'll never buy a rotrary and I don't have or want a 3401 either.

I have Rupes Mini, Duetto, LHR15, Griot's G21, GG6 and a Flex PE-8(which I pretty much hate)

And here's my reasoning why:

I did this in one step with my G21 and HD Adapt. So why do more steps than necessary when you can finish down to near perfection in one step?

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
    They're even close enough in price that it makes choosing one over the other more difficult.

WE GUARANTEE IT
    Griot's Garage was built on high expectations, which is why everything we sell is covered by a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and Lifetime Guarantee against defect. We strive for perfection in everything we do so you always... Have fun in your garage!®

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the results of a rotary in the wrong hands. This was a brand new Lexus IS F Sport 350 I saw all hacked up in the grocery store parking lot a year or so ago and it was a lot worse in person than you can tell in these pictures.

And my GC that same day in the grocery parking lot:

2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Here's the results of a rotary in the wrong hands. This was a brand new Lexus IS F Sport 350 I saw all hacked up in the gorcery store parking lot a year or so ago and it was a lot worse in person than you can tell in these pictures.

And my GC that same day in the grocery parking lot:

Ouch, I can see the buffer trails in the pic. This happened to my mothers car when she took it to a "detailer" at a car wash years ago. You definitely have to know what you're doing with a rotary polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah and it's burnt through above the F Sport logo.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Yeah and it's burnt through above the F Sport logo.
    Wow, I thought that was a bird bomb! Holy cow that poor thing got completely butchered! What a shame

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast