autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting/Preventing corrosion in my spotless engine and engine bay in my New vehicle

[QUOTE=Setec Astronomy;1432350]Holy cow, are you a pessimist!

That is why I asked how long he was keeping the truck. Are they chrome plated?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting/Preventing corrosion in my spotless engine and engine bay in my New vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    . I am new to this, so any advice is appreciated just trying to learn and do my best to maintain my $40,000 investment.
    A 'regular car' is not an investment; generally do not appreciate in value.

In the engine bay I have been using the same Sonus Motor coat that others have mentioned. It works well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    A 'regular car' is not an investment; generally do not appreciate in value.
    pessimist!
    Figured I'd call you that before setec does...

I haven't used Motor Coat, but have used and use Bare Bones. Bare Bones is a bit oily and I don't know if that is something one should be spraying in the engine bay, especially on the components in question (alternator, compressor, etc..).

Most of these said components are cast die, and to be quite honest, I don't know if they need "protection". Manufacturers run these parts and engines for hunderds of thousands of miles, i.e. Lincoln TC's as livery cars, Police Crown Vics...

I live 50 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, in a snow/ice/sand/salt environment and I think regular maintenance, using the the Wolf Gang Engine Product, QD's, rinsless washes on a regular basis, keeping the engine bay clean will suffice, as I showed in a 9 year old DD with 145K miles.

For the plastics I use BLACKFIRE AIO Tire and Trim Cleaner Protectant, and for the tight areas, I spray McKee's Trim Detailer. All painted parts are treated with Pinnacle Crystal Mist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    pessimist!
    Lol..

Once I use up my Sonus I will move onto my gallon of BF AIO tire & Trim. I think it will do about as good. But I haven't used it in the engine bay yet.

Post Thanks / Like

On mine I used Sonus motor and trim Kote except the painted areas which I did with Hydro2. Seems like a good combination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    pessimist!
    Realist.... sadly ...

Post Thanks / Like

Almost 100k now in the CC... looks better than it did when I bought it. Mostly use hyper dressing because I'm lazy.

Coming up on almost 200k miles in the GTI...

I'd say the cosmoline that was on these cars did/does an excellent job of keeping the rust away. Contrary to what has been posted, it is a permanent rust prevention that is applied at the factory. They spray inside panels on the interior and many other places other than the underside of the car with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used APC or just a wipe down with trim/plastic restorer. I've been hesitant spraying water and cleaner through my engine bay, but I know people who do so. I've got a 2015 GMC Sierra that's already showing oxidation on the exhaust manifold / engine block; but it's a truck not a show car. Depends how meticulous you want to get I suppose.

I did a quick engine detail of this Mercedes C300 that's been through 5 VT winters and still looks pristine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12