autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Beginner - Need some advice

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on how to keep my truck clean during washes. I live in Central California which is surrounded by agriculture and oil so there is no shortage of bugs and dust. I find myself a little frustrated after a few days when it's covered with bugs and a light layer of dust. Oh I also drive 120 miles a day......

Here is my current process:

Truck: Truck: 2015 White GMC Sierra 1500 White

Wash every two weeks
    Pressure washer w/ two bucket system
    Wolfgang tires & Trim
    Wolfgang Glass Cleaner
    McKee's wheel glaze
    Wolfgang Uber AIO (I'm using the Griots Garage 3 inch Pneumatic Orbital Polisher and Griots Orange pad because they were on sale. I'm going to purchase a new Rupes this month since I was able to convince my wife on the investment)
    McKee's High Gloss Detail Spray to car & windshields

1. What would minimize the bug splatter on the font windshield or at least make it easier to clean off?
    2. Should I be applying something else after I use the Wolfgang AIO to minimize a layer of dust.
    3. Should I be using the McKee's waterless wash between washes to keep it clean?

I ordered Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine Paperback Book so I'll be doing some research.

Oh one thing... I like both the McKee's 37 and Wolfgang line so not sure if I can accomplish what I want with their line of products.

Any help is appreciated!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginner - Need some advice

Hey man welcome to the forum. My biggest advice is to do research on any product you purchase. Look at peoples results with them and the pros and cons of what they have to say, it'll save you a lot of cash in the interim.

1. Nothing will minimize the bug splatter, if you hit the bugs you'll get a splatter. Now a lot of peoples opinions differ but a good sealant would be great at making the bug splatter easier to get off. I'd recommend Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. It's probably one of the best sealants on the market.

2. The Wolfgang Uber AIO is a great product but I'd suggest putting on Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Paint Sealant after as it seems like it's one of the slickest sealants people use.

3. McKee's waterless wash concentrate would be a great idea to keep a bottle of it in your car so you can spray your glass and get the bugs off. Spray the glass and let it dwell for a few before wiping it off, it does work quite well.

You can't go wrong with any of the McKee 37 or Wolfgang line of items. I'd suggest taking a look at Wolfgangs Rinseless wash. Again, one of the best ones on the market. Nothing will really stop dust and bugs from gathering on your car, but at the same time a good sealant will protect your paint against the damages they come with and a good Rinseless or waterless wash concentrate means you can mix together a bottle for your truck and give your car a quick spray and wipe to get stuff off.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you and looking to keep things in the McKee's line of products, I'd get some McKee's Glass Coating + McKee's Waterless Wash to keep your truck clean in between washings.

P.S. Unless you're looking to use a polisher several times a year to fully correct paint on several vehicles, a Rupes would most likely be overkill for your situation. If all you have to maintain is your own immediate vehicles just stick with something like a Griots 6" DA and get a 5" backing plate. You'll save hundreds of $ over buying a Rupes and be able to put the $ towards pads etc.

Once you account for all the stuff you need to buy to go with a new Rupes polisher you have to ask yourself if you really need it.. Pads, compounds, stuff adds up.

Post Thanks / Like

Eldorado is very right, do you want to spend the money on a Rupes just to save a bit of time on polishing when you can just buy a Griots DA and get more pads?

Post Thanks / Like

IME the Main reason I upgraded to a Boss G21 was to be able to handle any situation in front of me. Meaning I'm looking at correcting more and more vehicles on the horizon. And the last thing you need is to outgunned by some extremely hard paint or severe defects where a simple 8mm polisher simply won't cut it. But you have to think about it, will you Ever run into a situation like that? Not with the 2 cars at home, that's for sure.

If you've known how to properly wash your car for a while then you'd be lucky to have even minimal swirls once you plug in that "cannon" of a polisher... Overkill.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just the feedback I was looking for... Appreciate the help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Mike's book will really help you out. I have it in print and ebook and still look at it every week. There are many good buffers on the market. Read the various opinions in the forum, read the book and dig thru the AGO videos and articles. My first buffer was the PC7424XP and then I bought the Flex 3401 before I ever used the PC. My Flex is the go to with the PC used for scrubbing with brushes and light polishing. Next up was my GG3 for headlight sanding and then the Flex PE8 to get me in trouble. Still trying to figure out which full size rotary to purchase. What ever you purchase I sure you will do a great job on the truck.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Hey man welcome to the forum. My biggest advice is to do research on any product you purchase. Look at peoples results with them and the pros and cons of what they have to say, it'll save you a lot of cash in the interim.

1. Nothing will minimize the bug splatter, if you hit the bugs you'll get a splatter. Now a lot of peoples opinions differ but a good sealant would be great at making the bug splatter easier to get off. I'd recommend Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. It's probably one of the best sealants on the market.

2. The Wolfgang Uber AIO is a great product but I'd suggest putting on Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Paint Sealant after as it seems like it's one of the slickest sealants people use.

3. McKee's waterless wash concentrate would be a great idea to keep a bottle of it in your car so you can spray your glass and get the bugs off. Spray the glass and let it dwell for a few before wiping it off, it does work quite well.

You can't go wrong with any of the McKee 37 or Wolfgang line of items. I'd suggest taking a look at Wolfgangs Rinseless wash. Again, one of the best ones on the market. Nothing will really stop dust and bugs from gathering on your car, but at the same time a good sealant will protect your paint against the damages they come with and a good Rinseless or waterless wash concentrate means you can mix together a bottle for your truck and give your car a quick spray and wipe to get stuff off.
    This is a great reply. I was gonna add putting in a good sealant skipping the aio all together. Most sealants need a good prep first. Removing all the wax that is on the car previously. An all in one that im thinking about has waxes usually built in so that wouldn't be a good thing for the wg 3.0 sealant to seal to. A car properly prepped would include a claybar then polish(if needed) than an IPA of some sort and then the sealant. I would apply any glaze prior to the sealant. Let the sealant dry for an hour and wipe off. 12-24 hours apply another layer of either wg3.0 or a wax. Good luck

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. So you suggest just scrapping the AIO and go with sealant after some good prep. Man I have some research to do!! Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

If you going the sealant route the aio woul no longer be benefical to you. Just use a good polish or compound then follow with the sealant. The boss creams by griots are awesome and produce fantastic results. A fellow ago member has a you tube video with the finishing sealant used as a one step and the results really are impressive. Check it out I think you will be more than happy. Griots has a guarntee on all the machines and products if you don't like them you get credit back for them. If you purchase through ago I would make sure the return policy however as it might be different from ago