autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone worked on a 2016 BMW X5? Ceramiclear or no?

Hello guys,

My dad has a 2016 X5 in Mineral White Metallic. I would like to work on the car, however, even though the car is now one year old, there are absolutely no signs of swirls. I have examined it with my pen light as well as I can but I cannot spot any spiderwebbing, even looked in the sun. And it is washed by someone else, at home, not me - so definitely not much care taken.

My question is, does BMW apply a similar Ceramiclear paint like Mercedes does? If that's the case, how can I go about to clean the paint up. Its white so I can see a lot of black spots in the paint that look like Tar or Iron. I have personally not seen any Tar or Iron removal products in Dubai, maybe Optimum Ferrex which I can ask the local OPT dealer for.

I had a similar issue with my Mom's Audi Q5(see pic below) that I detailed a couple of weeks ago. There were a ton of black spots, polishing with a compound and cutting pad got 70% off. But If I can get them off without polishing on this X5 that would be great. As there are no swirls - I can just get them off, clay and seal.

P.S. I have a Flex 3401, meguiars products and Hybrid pads - if it helps.

The Audi was really tough to work and so much crud was picked up and made my pads black too:

Any inputs or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Mukul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone worked on a 2016 BMW X5? Ceramiclear or no?

I have not worked on a 2016 X5 but have worked on 2016 3 series. There should not be any differences in clear that is used on the 3 series vs X5.

AFAIK, only Mercedes uses the Ceramiclear.

I would try to locate a chemical decontamination product to help remove the tar/iron deposits. You will be in better shape using a specific product for removing the contamination rather than trying to compound/polish them off with mechanical abrasion.

You will be well served with the 3401, Hybrid pads, and Menzerna products if you can get your hands on them.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    I have not worked on a 2016 X5 but have worked on 2016 3 series. There should not be any differences in clear that is used on the 3 series vs X5.

AFAIK, only Mercedes uses the Ceramiclear.

I would try to locate a chemical decontamination product to help remove the tar/iron deposits. You will be in better shape using a specific product for removing the contamination rather than trying to compound/polish them off with mechanical abrasion.

You will be well served with the 3401, Hybrid pads, and Menzerna products if you can get your hands on them.

Mike
    Thanks Mike!! I actually have 2 BMW's in the house. The 3 series I worked on had swirls all over the car in less than one year and is my brothers car.I polished it and in less than 6 months it was swirls all over again. This is why I have this question. Both BMW's are washed the same way, by the same person. The 3 series is covered in swirls, the X5 looks amazing without a swirl in sight.

Here is the 328i I worked on - M205 and white polishing pad is all it took...

I would like to get my hands on Menzerna but I am still unsure of this DAT technology and still a bit hesitant to use it. I have some Sonax 3-6 still new sitting in my closet for this reason.

If I do get the menz products, what would you recommend? I have loved my meguiars products due to their long working times in the hot temps of Dubai, so did not want to stray but if I must...

Cars I will work on more frequently:

My Accord 2016 in Golden brown metallic - soft paint for sure

BMW 328i M-sport 2013 - Metallic black - very easy to correct with just m205 and a white pad

Audi Q5 2013 - Glacier white metallic - HARD paint

BMW X5 - Mineral White metallic - uknown but looks hard to me

P.S. Are these iron removal products just spray on and rinse off after dwell? I am concerned because I read that it must be agitated and I really don't know how. Plus I am scared that if I agitate it, wont the iron particles scratch?

Post Thanks / Like

This is really just a stab in the dark and thinking out loud, but maybe the SUV type vehicles are painted with a harder clear based on the expectation the paint may take some more abuse being driven off road?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    This is really just a stab in the dark and thinking out loud, but maybe the SUV type vehicles are painted with a harder clear based on the expectation the paint may take some more abuse being driven off road?
    I was told by the dealer than the paint on more expensive BMW's is different....that's the only statement he made and I feel he is right.

However, I want to know before I even touch the paint.

As its getting cooler out (lol 85-90)....I might be able to work more comfortably and make the car look better than it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Clay it and hit it with a nonabrasive Polish like Blackfire gloss enhancing polish. Since there's no defects, just clean it up and seal it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmjaygti View Post
    I was told by the dealer
    I don't mean to sound blunt, but don't ever believe a word a "car salesman" tells you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    Clay it and hit it with a nonabrasive Polish like Blackfire gloss enhancing polish. Since there's no defects, just clean it up and seal it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I do plan on doing that either way, but just in case, I was only wondering that's all

Thanks though

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that BMW does NOT use ceramic filament paints. I would do exactly as you have planned with regard to a thorough wash and decon to remove as much as possible. I would then machine around with a good paint cleaner such as DG501 to remove what's left.

Personally i like seeing pads get nice and dirty like that. It confirms the paint cleaner is removing more stubborn stuff from the paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast