autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need suggestions and advice for taking care of aluminum rims

I have someone who recently purchased a 2017 F250 and is now putting a set of American Force rims on the truck. I'm looking to get some suggestions on both products to use and techniques to managing polished aluminum rims.

This will most likely all be done by hand. I know there are a few metal polishes that can be bought at just about any auto parts store, but I'm looking for dedicated products, polishes and possibly waxes.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Phillips

Re: Need suggestions and advice for taking care of aluminum rims

The key with uncoated, polished aluminum rims is to,

"Find something you like and use it often"

How often depends on the environment the wheels are exposed to and how the vehicle is stored, (inside or outside).

And also you expectations for how they look. For example if you want the polished aluminum to look like chrome you'll need to polish them more often than if you don't mind if they get a little dull from normal oxidation.

The deal with uncoated, polished aluminum is it is natural for the aluminum to oxidize. If you find an aluminum polish you love and simply hit them once in a while - while they are still in great shape then it will be quick and easy to keep them looking like chrome.

It's only when you let aluminum go for extended periods of time do they get really bad and then require a ton of work to restore back to that clear, high shine.

I've owned a lot of aluminum and that is the key, find something you like and use it once in a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need suggestions and advice for taking care of aluminum rims

Mothers Mag & Aluminium Polish is no slouch.. I just got done polishing some bare aluminum wheels on a RV and they turned out looking brilliant. [I wish I could post pics but the dang app isn't working anymore and I can't post pics now]

I used terry applicators to apply the polish and microfiber towels to buff off. I also used a drill with some attachments I bought at HF.. Towards the end I said the heck with the stupid drill and just finished them by hand. I think the stuff would work great to maintain brand new wheels. But I'm a noob at it so there may be better stuff? All I know is I was pretty impressed with the Mothers.