autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

What type of unwanted paint will clay remove

I was recently touching up roof rack frame parts with rustoleum black matte high heat paint.
    Minor being 2 small nicks that were down to bare metal on roof rack to prevent surface rusting.

I was very careful and only lightly dipped a artist smalltip brush and dabbed a few areas.

Im confident i didnt get anything on the car.

BUT if i did ...would clay remove any accidental slight paint smudges from rustoleum?

If anything got on my car it would be a very slight smudge..nothing close to a drip...

Paranoia settling in....so if by off chance i left a faint slight smudge of the rustoleum on the car..will clay remove it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What type of unwanted paint will clay remove

Rustoleum ehh.Bought a brandnew charger in that copper color.Had it for a week,wife pulls up like 30'feet away as I was painting a piece of pvc pipe attached to a telephone pole.The whole left side of car was hammered with paint.clay did remove it,so I think you are good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Rustoleum ehh.Bought a brandnew charger in that copper color.Had it for a week,wife pulls up like 30'feet away as I was painting a piece of pvc pipe attached to a telephone pole.The whole left side of car was hammered with paint.clay did remove it,so I think you are good.
    Thanks again for easing my mind ( for the 2nd time this week) The roof rack part is a hidden mounting piece which is covered by a molding cover.

Long painful story short...dealer installed cross bars and broke the cover..noticed it after the fact.

When replacing molding cover i noticed the underlying mount had some pry bar slip marks (dealer service techs use metal pry tools...owners use nylon pry bar tools bc we care about our cars)
    So while replacing moulding cover with new oem replacement i noticed the marks so i reached for the rustoleum just to protect the bare metal.

Agreed with the " ehhhhh"...if the touch up was an exposed surface body area iwouldve bought factory touchup paint.

Thanks again for the help and i hear you about the wife...i i had to buy some white touchup paint for the girls car while at the dealer while buying the replacement molding cover....

The girls front bumper is a mess...she keeps hitting everything in front of her.

Not sure why male drivers are considered a higher insurance risk than females

Post Thanks / Like

Clay would probably do the trick, but there are other things that would as well. Clay is really good for when you had your car in the driveway and your neighbor was rattle canning his BBQ and now your car feels rough with the overspray. Isolated drips or smudges of paint are things that you could probably just pick off with your fingernail or use some paint thinner or WD40 or a little polish on a towel. Lots of ways to get isolated spots like that off. It doesn't sound like you are dealing with overspray, so I don't think clay is the tool to use if you spot a drip.