autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New rinseless wash guy....

I want to start doing RW's this winter here in Wisconsin. First time ever and I am very skeptical with possible scratches from doing so. I would like your opinions on my method.

I have Super Wash literally 3 blocks from my house. So quick pressure wash there to get any heavy contaminants and road salt off. Bring it home. Garage is heated. Presoak with a sprayer, then 2 bucket wash with multiple MF'S. Can always finish off with D156.

I am thinking ONR wax and shine. I also see there is a red sponge available specifically for RW. Anyone have any input in that and my method?

Every fiber in my body says no to RW's. It's something definitely out of the norm for me. Being I do not have a water hookup in my garage I am limited to this option.

For me the pressure washing, pre soak, and never putting a dirty rag back into the solution is a must for me. I guess I'm just looking for you guys to make me feel warm and fuzzy about this washing method....

My cars paint is immaculate at this time. I'd like to keep it that way..

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New rinseless wash guy....

Nothing to worry about with Rinseless if done right. I'll send you a PM with some information.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought some ONR myself planning to do the same thing. I will give you my planned method which may seem more aggressive than yours lol.

Salt Soiled car
    2 buckets -
    1 clean water bucket
    1 bucket with onr. 3 microfiber wash mitts.
    1 spray bottle of onr with detail spray dilution.
    Pre-spray panel before using wash mitts.
    1 or 2 buffing drying towels.

So I split the car into 3. top middle bottom. 1 mit for top, 1 for middle and 1 for bottom. If needed I will clean these mitts out in the clean water. Basically this method is exactly same method that can be used for a regular wash. Just I am not rinsing before or after. (but you could consider my detail spray of ONR as a rinse before the wash. and a better one actually.

Here is my theory on this. You are washing your car with regular soap. I doubt very much most people here are doing a single wipe with wash mitt, and than cleaning it off in the water. No matter what using a soap 2 bucket wash you will get scratches eventually over time. So for me ONR is exactly the same. The only difference is it has no suds... So by pre-soaking the panel I am adding some lubication to the panel. Probably more lubication than I would with just regular water. Then I am using a slick formula (same as any wash soap) to glide over the surface. So for me there is an equal chance of scatching doing this method than there is doing a regular wash. Just don't apply heavy pressure, but who does that anyway?

To me the 15 towel method seems overly crazy. Maybe I am wrong, but I will find out this winter LOL. My car will be the test subject. So if my freshly polished car ends up with a lot of marring I will be sure to change my method, but my guess is it won.t

The part people can't get over is :

1) suds == no scratches which is just not true.
    2) pre-rinse == removing loose dirt to prevent scratches? Okay but isn't embeded dirt more liekly to scratch than loose dirt? I mean loose dirt will be the first to go into your wash mitt. The embeded dirt is more likely to resist being removed which is more likely to scratch. So with a pre-soak of ONR I think you actually decrease the chances of scratches, compared to using just water in a hose.

Once you can get over those two things, it's really easy to udnerstand that a rinsless wash can and will work just as well, and in some cases better than a regular 2 bucket wash.

Shawn
    PurdyDetail.com
    Shine | Reflection | Protection
    Servicing, Montreal, and North Shore.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel exactly the same...I have never done a Rinseless or Waterless Wash...I know it is all in my head, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I have a big truck though and I go down dirt roads, etc...so I am not sure how viable it would be for me to do a Rinseless or Waterless.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: New rinseless wash guy....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    I want to start doing RW's this winter here in Wisconsin. First time ever and I am very skeptical with possible scratches from doing so. I would like your opinions on my method.

I have Super Wash literally 3 blocks from my house. So quick pressure wash there to get any heavy contaminants and road salt off. Bring it home. Garage is heated. Presoak with a sprayer, then 2 bucket wash with multiple MF'S. Can always finish off with D156.

I am thinking ONR wax and shine. I also see there is a red sponge available specifically for RW. Anyone have any input in that and my method?

Every fiber in my body says no to RW's. It's something definitely out of the norm for me. Being I do not have a water hookup in my garage I am limited to this option.

For me the pressure washing, pre soak, and never putting a dirty rag back into the solution is a must for me. I guess I'm just looking for you guys to make me feel warm and fuzzy about this washing method....

My cars paint is immaculate at this time. I'd like to keep it that way..

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    I agree with your body and paint.When I lived in New York I would full service tunnel wash it.But on the other hand you have a heated garage so go for it .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by srpurdy View Post
    I just bought some ONR myself planning to do the same thing. I will give you my planned method which may seem more aggressive than yours lol.

Salt Soiled car
    2 buckets -
    1 clean water bucket
    1 bucket with onr. 3 microfiber wash mitts.
    1 spray bottle of onr with detail spray dilution.
    Pre-spray panel before using wash mitts.
    1 or 2 buffing drying towels.

So I split the car into 3. top middle bottom. 1 mit for top, 1 for middle and 1 for bottom. If needed I will clean these mitts out in the clean water. Basically this method is exactly same method that can be used for a regular wash. Just I am not rinsing before or after. (but you could consider my detail spray of ONR as a rinse before the wash. and a better one actually.

Here is my theory on this. You are washing your car with regular soap. I doubt very much most people here are doing a single wipe with wash mitt, and than cleaning it off in the water. No matter what using a soap 2 bucket wash you will get scratches eventually over time. So for me ONR is exactly the same. The only difference is it has no suds... So by pre-soaking the panel I am adding some lubication to the panel. Probably more lubication than I would with just regular water. Then I am using a slick formula (same as any wash soap) to glide over the surface. So for me there is an equal chance of scatching doing this method than there is doing a regular wash. Just don't apply heavy pressure, but who does that anyway?

To me the 15 towel method seems overly crazy. Maybe I am wrong, but I will find out this winter LOL. My car will be the test subject. So if my freshly polished car ends up with a lot of marring I will be sure to change my method, but my guess is it won.t

The part people can't get over is :

1) suds == no scratches which is just not true.
    2) pre-rinse == removing loose dirt to prevent scratches? Okay but isn't embeded dirt more liekly to scratch than loose dirt? I mean loose dirt will be the first to go into your wash mitt. The embeded dirt is more likely to resist being removed which is more likely to scratch. So with a pre-soak of ONR I think you actually decrease the chances of scratches, compared to using just water in a hose.

Once you can get over those two things, it's really easy to udnerstand that a rinsless wash can and will work just as well, and in some cases better than a regular 2 bucket wash.

Shawn

Thanks for the info! I am on the right track and taking extra precautions. I will have to get on YouTube and do some more research. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Nothing to worry about with Rinseless if done right. I'll send you a PM with some information.
    Got it and thank you! Messaged you back!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care for a mit or sponge approach myself but others report good success. I like the ocd approach using microfiber towels and once they are dirty they don't touch the paint again.

I haven't found a towel i trust enough here on ag personally but I'll keep that to myself out of respect for the vendors forum rules. I use 8-10 towles on a is250 and have no marring induced by the rinseless process.

I pre soak liberally panel by panel as I go. I got a great tip last year when it's winter use very warm water as it helps break down the funk better.

I personally do not care for the Rinsless products with wax myself but we all enjoy different things in life. I would rather apply a sealant once a month in the winter.

Hope you have great results this winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Sprayway glass cleaner is awesome for your situation.Deosnt make sense but it's so gentle and effective .Spray the foam and let it do the work for you. And believe it or not doesn't strip wax.Great on tires and rims and makes a awesome clay lube.I carry 8 to 10 cans with me all the time for certain task.Give it a try on a panel mixed with some spraywax.Drench the fender then spraywax over the foam and simply wipe.you will be blown away by the simplicity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailsbydaniel View Post
    I don't care for a mit or sponge approach myself but others report good success. I like the ocd approach using microfiber towels and once they are dirty they don't touch the paint again.

I haven't found a towel i trust enough here on ag personally but I'll keep that to myself out of respect for the vendors forum rules. I use 8-10 towles on a is250 and have no marring induced by the rinseless process.

I pre soak liberally panel by panel as I go. I got a great tip last year when it's winter use very warm water as it helps break down the funk better.

I personally do not care for the Rinsless products with wax myself but we all enjoy different things in life. I would rather apply a sealant once a month in the winter.

Hope you have great results this winter.
    Thank you. What rinseless wash do you use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast