autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about iron x guys

Hey guys so clay bared and waxed prolly 4 diff cars and done each of thoes cars 3-6 times.So done it good amount of times I'd like to think. This time tho I had a bottle of iron x from about a year ago that I never used so I would spray a whole panel down real good let it sit for 3-4 mins and wipe off. This stuff was like sticky or tacky when wiping off. The microfiber towel would skip,jump and roll up in me. It was really a horrible experience in my opinion. It left the paint not silky like after clay baring but sticky Tacky dry feeling. I washed the car twice with a waterless car wash and its better it's like it stripped everything off the paint and now it's like when you run your fingers over paint and it makes the squeaking noise. Is this a normal result? Can I just wax now or do I need to still clay bar? This is a brand new car with 12 miles on the clock. Also my hands smell sooooooo bad I've washed then 6 times and it won't go away! Any way to get this stick off me? I'm never using this stuff again lol PLEASE HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about iron x guys

after you've sprayed the IX (use gloves) and it's run it's course, you can agitate it with a sponge and/or immediately rinse it off (i like to use a pressure washer) and then clay if needed. it's your call if you would like to go straight to your lsp, but IME after claying it will leave some (slight) marring so it's your call if you would like to lightly polish/clean the paint afterwards. no need to go full out in the correction since the colder weather/seasons are upon us, just make sure to have the paint protected. btw, you want to make sure you completely/thoroughly rinse off the IX and not let it sit/remain on any surface you sprayed it on...

i use this (below) or fast orange pumice soap after i touch any detailing chemicals...

Post Thanks / Like

Always use gloves. That stuff just lingers. I can still smell it outside in the driveway the next day sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chase361 View Post
    Hey guys so clay bared and waxed prolly 4 diff cars and done each of thoes cars 3-6 times.So done it good amount of times I'd like to think. This time tho I had a bottle of iron x from about a year ago that I never used so I would spray a whole panel down real good let it sit for 3-4 mins and wipe off. This stuff was like sticky or tacky when wiping off. The microfiber towel would skip,jump and roll up in me. It was really a horrible experience in my opinion. It left the paint not silky like after clay baring but sticky Tacky dry feeling. I washed the car twice with a waterless car wash and its better it's like it stripped everything off the paint and now it's like when you run your fingers over paint and it makes the squeaking noise. Is this a normal result? Can I just wax now or do I need to still clay bar? This is a brand new car with 12 miles on the clock. Also my hands smell sooooooo bad I've washed then 6 times and it won't go away! Any way to get this stick off me? I'm never using this stuff again lol PLEASE HELP PLEASE!!!!!
    So you didn't rinse it off? The instructions are pretty clear that you need to do so. Not sure what the results are if you leave it on but if you follow the instructions the car should be as smooth and silky as just after you clayed it.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Did you shake the bottle good? Always shake any product really good. Especially if it has been sitting for a lengthy period as you stated. Apply to a dry vehicle, let dwell and bleed but do not let the product dry on any panel. Then hose off or pressure wash off.

I always pressure wash the vehicle first, let dry, then apply and let dwell. I will then take a damp wash mitt and lightly go over the panels making sure I rinse and agitate the wash mitt really good in a rinse bucket after every panel. Then re pressure wash or hose off.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the only bad thing I run into being a rinseless mobile guy. Iron X needs to be rinsed off. I have never tried to wipe it away using a waterless wash.

And by the way, brand new cars most often still need to be clayed, trust me.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

If you didn't rinse extremely well afterwards that's your problem there. I also wash after any fallout remover treatment. I just used a fallout treatment yesterday on a 2001 Mazda B3000 and even after I rinsed twice and washed and rinsed there was still red dripping from underneath the drivers side mirror.

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same as rimccarty and do another full wash after Iron X. I foam up the entire vehicle and do another go around with my wash mitt. Not really as extensive as the initial wash but to try and use soap and very light agitation with my mitt to get any remaining Iron X off and especially out of nooks and crannies. Then a full flood to rinse, concentrating on trim, side view mirrors, door jamb, trunk lid, etc.

I'll add that i've never let Iron X dry when i use it. I do let it dwell for a bit but i don't let it fully dry on the paint. After it dwells a bit and i see my purple runs for a while i then flood rinse the heck out of the paint.