autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meg's final touch, ultimate quick detailer, Xpress spray wax

Quote Originally Posted by emmjaygti View Post
    If I may add my $0.02 even though the Last touch seems to be the product for you.

I love my D156 personally. It aids in lubrication, I never have streak issues personally that too on my dark coloured car, its Hyrdrophobic properties are great, the gloss and slickness are the cherry on top. I feel it might be little smeary if applied heavy though, and even when completely buffed off, a couple of times I have felt a oily, smeary texture on my paint, and when touched I can tell something is applied. So don't over apply and you will not face issues. You get the hang of it after the first couple times I think. You could water it down, but I am not sure of how it would work, its performance might degrade and all that. I personally use it neat.

Last touch may be great, but I am unsure about any protection or gloss levels lasting as long as D156.

D156 goes on everything for me, plastics, glass, paint you name it. I applied it during our March rains and the water just flew off my windshield while driving above 40-50kph. Amazing product IMHO. Lasts quite long too.

Last touch also sounds good if you want it as a drying aid due to lubricity but I personally am not convinced of it.

Keep in mind, you said you dont want something with protection, so LT might just be perfect for your needs.
    Yea I've started using my D156 a bit more as a drying aid recently on customers vehicles.. Usually the subjects are in direct sun + the vehicles look ok, but haven't been properly cared for meaning they haven't been clayed or "waxed" [some customers simply aren't interested in paying for the proper upgrade]

I like how D156 makes drying a bit easier on those vehicles + knocks out any potential water spots, even in direct sun.. Protection on those vehicles I really couldn't care less as they haven't been through the proper process anyways. Leaves the paint smooth, yes. No great problem with streaking but it has happened to me on black paint.

My main gripe is I don't really notice much of a visual difference from it.. Plus I'm looking forward to some potential new clients that are interested in full proper multi step details in the near future and would like the benefit of something like Last Touch. A post wash wipedown that simply adds a bit of gloss + slickness. [not a drying aid] But not its own layer of protection because I don't want my post wash wipedown interfering that way.. Not to mention D156 can sometimes be a bit of a dust magnet.

Long term effects be damned, I just want that quik moment of extra pop and wow factor when I'm done with the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    This oddity is that of blended plumber's tape... My gallons are full of 'em. Weird stuff. I've heard some experienced similar issues with the OTC version; clogged sprayers. Not sure if the issue's been dealt with, never tried the bottle.

Cruz - If this is for your own vehicles, you might want to try Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry. An impressive product & very easy to use. It yields a warmer shine rather than the plastic reflection, even though it's a synthetic product. Has a pleasant tropical scent to boot. A bit expensive, but worth the consideration. Another good OTC alternative would be Eagle1 Wax As U Dry.

If this is for customers, then yeah, you can't beat the instant shine, ease of application, and price from X-press. This and Aquawax would make customers (and your wallet) happy.
    PRIMA WAYD is one the best I have used. I am currently using MEGS OTC SHINE AS YOU DRY. I have found it quite impressive for a OTC product.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Yea I've started using my D156 a bit more as a drying aid recently on customers vehicles.. Usually the subjects are in direct sun + the vehicles look ok, but haven't been properly cared for meaning they haven't been clayed or "waxed" [some customers simply aren't interested in paying for the proper upgrade]

I like how D156 makes drying a bit easier on those vehicles + knocks out any potential water spots, even in direct sun.. Protection on those vehicles I really couldn't care less as they haven't been through the proper process anyways. Leaves the paint smooth, yes. No great problem with streaking but it has happened to me on black paint.

My main gripe is I don't really notice much of a visual difference from it.. Plus I'm looking forward to some potential new clients that are interested in full proper multi step details in the near future and would like the benefit of something like Last Touch. A post wash wipedown that simply adds a bit of gloss + slickness. [not a drying aid] But not its own layer of protection because I don't want my post wash wipedown interfering that way.. Not to mention D156 can sometimes be a bit of a dust magnet.

Long term effects be damned, I just want that quik moment of extra pop and wow factor when I'm done with the vehicle.
    Oh that definitely makes sense! That's what I personally like about Meguiars. They have a product for every mindset, D114 status not being a part of said mindset lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to hear from people who've used both Last Touch and D156 on which product leaves the paint looking better/glossier.
    So I use both. After a wash, if I'm NOT doing any other paint work, I'll use D156 as a drying aid. Works great....depending on the temperature and paint color. Darker colors, especially when warm or hot out, it will be a bit streaky and blotchy. It will buff out OK with a good toweling, or a quick hit of D155 (Last Touch). I will use D155 as just as its intended, as a finial wipe for fingerprints, the elusive streak or smudge. I'll keep a small 8oz spray bottle with me as I present the car to the customer. I've had them lean on a fender or whatnot and leave a big sweat smear then they point it out to me later on during the inspection.
    Anyhow....D156 works great as a drying aid or a quick shot of gloss after a NR wash. The D155 works great as a finial inspection spray...just as it's marketed. Great duo IMHO!!

As for just using one for gloss....I'd say D156, worked in small areas. If price wasn't a factor (compared to D156 and 155 gallon size price) I'd use Gtechniq C2 Liquid Crystal. Used it a couple times, awesome ease of application and incredible gloss, slickness and hydrophobic properties!!

This truck received a basic wash with Griot's Wash & Wax, no clay, D156 and D155 to pick up anything missed or that looked a bit blotchy. The paint is in fairly bad shape, lot's of swirls and branch scrapes from hunting. I'm happy with the gloss and the customer LOVED it.

https://www.facebook.com/FirehouseMo...447717/?type=3

Post Thanks / Like

All three are great products.

M135 (bulk version of Ult Quik Detailer) is a fine option as a final wipe. It will leave hydrophobic properties but they are short lived. In the end it is a quick detailer. Works well in the sun and as a drying aid as well. It gets glossier after it cures for 12 hours. It is not recommended to be used as a clay lube as the polymers within the product are to slick and may not allow the clay to remove all contaminants.

D155 is also nice. It can be diluted to be used as clay lube so it acts as two products in one. It leaves the surface glossy and slick. It will streak in the sun. Ran out before I could use it as a drying aid. As someone pointed out it can look like a film if too much is used.

Both of these are quick detailers so it's apples to oranges compared to D156 as D156 is a spray wax. D156 is great and it has many uses. It makes a great product for a final wipe to add a little more protection. It tends to get glossier after it cures for 12 hours or so. It can attract a bit of dust but so do the two quick detailers reference in the thread title.

By the way M34 is a fine quick detailer and works well for a final wipe, clay lube and drying aid. Leaves a nice gloss. I've been using this lately over the others. Plus I can pick it up locally at Pep Boys.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone really use Last Touch as clay lube these days? Seems like such a waste of product when there's D114 on the shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

Then Last Touch shouldn't disappoint. Your customers would find the cotton candy scent pleasant as well (not overpowering, Meg's did good here).

Does anyone really use Last Touch as clay lube these days? Seems like such a waste of product when there's D114 on the shelf.
    Haven't for a long while, not since the introduction of D114. You know what? I'm really f-king bitter about it still... lol

BTW, you could also use LT as rinseless in a pinch. I've done it at 1:128 (3oz to 3gal), and it did the job well. It may not be the first choice, but it's nice to know that you could pour some from the spray bottle into the bucket and go at it should an emergency comes up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    Then Last Touch shouldn't disappoint. Your customers would find the cotton candy scent pleasant as well (not overpowering, Meg's did good here).

Haven't for a long while, not since the introduction of D114. You know what? I'm really f-king bitter about it still... lol

BTW, you could also use LT as rinseless in a pinch. I've done it at 1:128 (3oz to 3gal), and it did the job well. It may not be the first choice, but it's nice to know that you could pour some from the spray bottle into the bucket and go at it should an emergency comes up.
    I'm not bitter yet, as 95% of my D114 concentrate ends up in spray bottles. [at my current rate it should last me a lifetime. Lol]

And with your tip about being able to use Last Touch as a rinseless wash concentrate @1:128, it stretches my gallon of D114 even further along. That sure seems like a pretty economical way of using Last Touch as a rinseless. It also seems pretty light, but I trust you know what you're talking about so that's a good tip to know.

At this point a gallon of Last Touch and a gallon of Mckee's Fast Interior Detailer are on my radar.. Just waiting for the right moment to pull the trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

For me d114 is not only an economical clay lube, it;s the best. I love how it's not too slick that i have to rub longer and harder just to remove the contaminants. D155 is so slick it make wolfgang uber feel grabby. It's truly the best quick detailer for adding gloss and preventing marring by creating the slickest surface imaginable for the microfiber towel to glide across

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    For me d114 is not only an economical clay lube, it;s the best. I love how it's not too slick that i have to rub longer and harder just to remove the contaminants. D155 is so slick it make wolfgang uber feel grabby. It's truly the best quick detailer for adding gloss and preventing marring by creating the slickest surface imaginable for the microfiber towel to glide across
    Do you remember the days when all you had to work with was that 16oz. maroon bottle of Quik Detailer for an entire clay job? I do, it sucked! Lol. You're right, D114 is so economical I can be as liberal as I want to be and my refill gallon is always nearby. I can go through an entire 32oz. bottle of D114 claylube with no worries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast