autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clean Bra Removal Nightmare, need some suggestions.

I am working on this nightmare, and need some suggestions.

I removed all of the clean bra, however, even with heat gun and steam, it was still SUPER HARD to remove. Spent 2 days to removed all of the clean bra (hood, fenders, front and rear doors, front bumper and side skirts).
    As you can see the pictures, after removal, there are lot of glue residue left. And it nightmare to remove before I can do the paint correction. And I need some suggestion on how to remove it (I dont mind going aggressive as I have to correct the paint anyway).

Here are the stuffs that I tried, and none of them work effectively. I let it sit and use plastic razor, rug to remove.
    1. Stoner Tarminator
    2. Carpro Tar X
    3. 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover
    4. WD-40
    5. Brake Cleaner (I know)
    6. Thinner (Yes, I even tried thinner, it did remove some of it with plastic razor)
    7. Throttle Body Cleaner

I tried everything I have. It gets better, but very slow, spent a whole day on it, and still lot of residue left. Any suggestion?
    Also, how much do you guy usually charge for this kind of job?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clean Bra Removal Nightmare, need some suggestions.

There's a product called Rapid Remover, I always use that to remove any adhesive. Get it on Ebay, as it is overpriced on Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can try heat I think it will make it easier to remove the adhesive or go to some detail shop they already install clear bra to cars I believe they know how to remove the adhesive
    Or contact the company for the clear bra ask them what to use they should know how to fix that

May I ask from which company the clear bra you had?
    And how long it was applied

Because I just warped my car with xpel ultimate
    And I'm afraid I have same results if I want to remove it
    (after 10 years before the warranty ended up)
    But in anyway I will make the installer he removed it he will be responsible for any damages if it still under warranty

BS.

For everyone reading here's the best way to remove the clear bra I try removing the film from the chrome work like a charm without any damage
    (but in anyway the film was applied before 2 months so it's easier to remove)

From xpel website

Removing the Film
    Professional removal of the film is recommended. However, when professional removal is not possible, the film may be removed as follows:

Warm the film with a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen the adhesive. 170° is the recommended temperature for this process.

Keep the heat source moving to avoid melting the film or damaging the paint.

Peel one corner of the film up with your fingernail.

Pull the film towards you at a shallow angle less than 45 degrees (see figure 8a).

This angle is important to ensure sure that the adhesive comes off with the film rather than staying on the paint. The film should “stretch” off the car.

If any adhesive is left on the car, use a general adhesive remover to help loosen it.

http://www.xpel.com/postinstallation/care-instructions/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Sorry I didn't read your name
    I didn't know you are detailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hdez View Post
    There's a product called Rapid Remover, I always use that to remove any adhesive. Get it on Ebay, as it is overpriced on Amazon.
    Thank you! Will try it tomorrow.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaser222 View Post
    Maybe you can try heat I think it will make it easier to remove the adhesive or go to some detail shop they already install clear bra to cars I believe they know how to remove the adhesive
    Or contact the company for the clear bra ask them what to use they should know how to fix that

May I ask from which company the clear bra you had?
    And how long it was applied

Because I just warped my car with xpel ultimate
    And I'm afraid I have same results if I want to remove it
    (after 10 years before the warranty ended up)
    But in anyway I will make the installer he removed it he will be responsible for any damages if it still under warranty

BS.

For everyone reading here's the best way to remove the clear bra I try removing the film from the chrome work like a charm without any damage
    (but in anyway the film was applied before 2 months so it's easier to remove)

From xpel website

Removing the Film
    Professional removal of the film is recommended. However, when professional removal is not possible, the film may be removed as follows:

Warm the film with a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen the adhesive. 170° is the recommended temperature for this process.

Keep the heat source moving to avoid melting the film or damaging the paint.

Peel one corner of the film up with your fingernail.

Pull the film towards you at a shallow angle less than 45 degrees (see figure 8a).

This angle is important to ensure sure that the adhesive comes off with the film rather than staying on the paint. The film should “stretch” off the car.

If any adhesive is left on the car, use a general adhesive remover to help loosen it.

Care Instructions - XPEL

I have no idea what kind of clean bra he had, but when I remove it, it seems like it had three different brands clean bra on. Thats right, three different brands on same car.
    1. Most of them are very hard to remove, and left residue.
    2. Only driver side side skirt is easy to remove and left very few residue.
    3. Driver side door panel clean bra is hard to remove, and it stiffs, and it actually peel some top coat off (this door have been repainted)

I use the same technique you posted (45 degrees with heat gun and steam) to remove, and this is the result.

From what I understand, this clean bra was installed less than a year. But the clean bra is already turned super yellow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OCG Detailing View Post
    I have no idea what kind of clean bra he had, but when I remove it, it seems like it had three different brands clean bra on. Thats right, three different brands on same car.
    1. Most of them are very hard to remove, and left residue.
    2. Only driver side side skirt is easy to remove and left very few residue.
    3. Driver side door panel clean bra is hard to remove, and it stiffs, and it actually peel some top coat off (this door have been repainted)

I use the same technique you posted (45 degrees with heat gun and steam) to remove, and this is the result.

From what I understand, this clean bra was installed less than a year. But the clean bra is already turned super yellow.
    Sorry I thought it's your car Clean Bra Removal Nightmare, need some suggestions.

But Wow 3 different types of films on that car!

I'm new for the film but from my search
    I read the 3m film have strongest adhesive
    And the old product yellow fast
    I think it's 3m

And If you call 3m maybe they will recommend there remover you already tried

If I wear you I will call also xpel and suntek maybe they know one item it's good for that situation

And I'm sure someone here will help you

Keep posting please
    I think I will need this theard after 10 years Clean Bra Removal Nightmare, need some suggestions.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Mineral spirits should remove it easily. May need to soften it up a bit but then it should start to dissolve from there.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a product called Goo Gone with success but Tarminator should work also.

Post Thanks / Like

Go back to the adhesive remover,take a cloth drench it and lay it down over the glue.Give it some dwell time about 4 minutes the min.If that doesn't do it,the good ole lacquer thinner will remove that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast