Currently there's 2-2bulb 4ft. fluorescence installed above the work bench in a 24X36 garage...could be 30x36. I honestly haven't measured it. There's also 5 incandescent bulbs, soft white. Obviously, there's not enough light. I hate the yellow look of the soft whites and the look of the fluourescence too...as well as the humming noise they make. Drives me nutz!

Get this. My grandpa, at the time, was just getting sick with what would eventually kill him...leukemia. He was never one to cut corners, but looking back he wasn't feeling well and at age 80 was just trying to finish some things he'd always wanted finished, like putting up OSB board on the walls and ceilings, painting them, and putting new lights in. When he put 2 lights near the garage door he failed to compensate for the low ceiling. So now, if you try to keep lights over the doors you end up with glass all over the floor...the door cuts the bulbs off right at the metal on the bulb. If you could see the type of work Pap was once capable of, then you'd forgive him for this minor slip. Mmmm...I miss him, dearly. Those 2 lights are within 5ft. of the door when closed. I think I've got just enough room for some new low profile LED 4ft. lights...which will give off way more light than 2 screw in bulbs of any type. That said, I had another thought...a thought that would alleviate even worrying about breaking lights or having enough room light fixtures in that location...a thought that could even be done in the entire garage. Maybe. Retro-fit LED recessed can lights! 65watt warm white LED's or brighter yet, 65-100watt Daylight LED's...all burning only 10.5 watts each. No heat from these!

Here's my dilemma:

1. I like the clean look of flush fitting lights. No dust to land on these puppies...per se. Retro-fits are cheap and easy to replace. Shop Recessed Downlights at Lowes.com

2. I need to find some low profile housings so that I can insulate the ceiling and still cover the attic floor with nothing protruding, so there's nothing to work around when I go up in the attic. I will also be adding attic lights. No flashlights up there for this guy. I hate that!

3. 4ft. LED fixtures are still being considered as an option. I need to do more research on these because I'm not familiar with them. Also, retro-fit recessed lights are easily replaced should one stop working. Simple slide the light trim ring down off the ceiling, pull to disconnect the wire connection, and screw out the male light connection with the 2 wires...screws out just like a like bulb.

4. How many recessed lights to put in the entire garage, or, how many 4 ft. LED fixtures to use should I go that route.

5. Recessed retro-fit lighting, as least the ones I would use, are all dimmable. Why not have that option?

6. Retro-fit recessed lights are cheap and available, as well as on sale now, at 65 and 100 watt, warm white and dimmable. I'm using warm white 65's in the kitchen with one 65 daylight over the sink for a work light. Had to replace the 4 65watt Daylights in the main kitchen...way too bright...even though I love that color spectrum best...just not in the kitchen.

7. I can also get 4ft. T8 LED replacements (LOWES $10ea.) in the 5000k color spectrum, daylight, that will work with current ballasts without worry, but I only have two fixtures and I'm going to replace them...just because. The thing is, new LED 4ft lights...I believe are a closed unit. Meaning when it quits, replace the entire light. I lucked into finding LED replacements that plug and play with T8 fixtures. My guess is these will become more popular than closed systems.

So the big question is which type to use. Comments welcome.

EDIT:
Yes, I will be doing all sorts of things in here and detailing is a big consideration...so is growing out my tomatoes and peppers and beating my neighbors in the spring. LOL!!