autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Autogard vs Opticoat vs ToughSeal vs Ceramic Pro?

Hi guys,

I've wanted to get paint protection on my car but I got quoted about $1100 for cQuartz just for the external and I'm not willing to pay that. I've since got the following quotes and just wondering what your thoughts are on the different products? I really didn't want to spend more than $500 or so if I can avoid it. I really just want something that will add a bit of extra shine to my Mercedes C200 and also make it easier to clean.

Autogard $399
    OptiCoat $745 for one layer, $945 for 4 layers (Lifetime warranty, free yearly checks)
    ToughSeal $750
    Ceramic Pro $660 for outside, $120 for interior and $40 for wheels (lifetime warranty)

Also, what is a good alternative to Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner? I've been using that with great success but the bottle hasn't lasted very long and it's expensive and not available locally.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Autogard vs Opticoat vs ToughSeal vs Ceramic Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by jmillar82 View Post
    I really didn't want to spend more than $500 or so if I can avoid it.I really just want something that will add a bit of extra shine to my Mercedes C200 and also make it easier to clean.
    If that's the case then all you need is a good Sealant like Finish Kare 1000P; or, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Only an ~$18-39 out-of-pocket expense.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmillar82 View Post
    Also, what is a good alternative to Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner? I've been using that with great success but the bottle hasn't lasted very long and it's expensive and not available locally.
    What brands of car-care products do you have available locally?Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    If that's the case then all you need is a good Sealant like Finish Kare 1000P; or, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Only an ~$18-39 out-of-pocket expense.What brands of car-care products do you have available locally?Bob
    Hi mate, I don't want to do it myself, I'd rather get a professional to do it even if it's a bit more expensive.

Thinking about it, I don't particularly need a wheel cleaner that's available locally (I bought Sonax from eBay), but would like to find a cheaper alternative if possible...

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    If that's the case then all you need is a good Sealant like Finish Kare 1000P; or, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Only an ~$18-39 out-of-pocket expense.What brands of car-care products do you have available locally?Bob
    Truer words have never been spoken, and I've seen Bob's ride so I can vouch for him. FK1000P is undoubtedly one of those way more bang for your buck type products. Bob just saved you and many others ~$480. Even a cave man can do it.

If you won't OR don't know how to maintain a coating to keep it swirl free by learning proper washing technique, then you're wasting your money unless you want to learn. IF you want to learn, OR if you want to pay someone else to apply AND maintain a coating for you...then that's all good too. Nothing wrong with paying someone to coat AND maintain it.

Autogeek or maybe one of your local auto parts stores like Advanced Auto here in the states. Look for either of these at auto parts stores...Meguiars DUB Wheel cleaner (turns purple too...don't see it on the Autogeek store...maybe I missed it) and http://www.autogeek.net/griots-heavy...l-cleaner.html .
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Well unfortunately you are going to pay for a quality coating job. A lot of the shine comes from the prep work.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, there's no Lifetime warranty on locally applied sealants. BUT..an arrangement could be made with a local detailer to keep your finish in top shape for an annual fee that would probably total less than the pro-coating treatments. Yep, paint prep is the key.

Post Thanks / Like

Opti Coat 4 layers??? 1 will suffice just fine. I see 0 difference adding additional coats and find it's a total waste of time. Cars that come back 1 year later with 1 coat of Gloss Coat acts and looks exactly the same as multiple layers.

Post Thanks / Like

With regards to the paint protection, I applied Hydro2 wrong and now have some spots on my car so I'd prefer a professional buffs and preps it first and then applies the coating properly. Appreciate the suggestions though!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Meguiars DUB Wheel cleaner (turns purple too...don't see it on the Autogeek store...maybe I missed it) and Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner, Griots wheel cleaner, hd wheel cleaner .
    I can't find Meguiars DUB Wheel Cleaner on any Aussie auto parts stores website, and not on eBay either. Also Griots seems to be about the same price on eBay as Sonax :'(

Any other alternatives?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if DUB is available over there or not. Likely not since you can't locate it. I'm out of alternatives for you without knowing what brands are available on Aussie websites. Obviously, you can always find alternatives here at Autogeek. I think Carpro Iron x will work too. Not sure of some of the newer brands here have alternatives or not. Try looking at these brands here Gyeon, and Britemax...maybe even some of the house brands too like Pinnacle or Wolfgang will turn purple for you to show iron content on your wheels. I have no experience with these brands and can't even say for sure if they have similar products. Just look around the store a bit.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast