autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss 501/601 premix

Is the premix of duragloss 105 and 601 premixed environmentally friendly? Can the unused portion be thrown away in a regular trash bin or down the drain?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Duragloss 501/601 premix

I really don't know, but there's really no reason to throw it away. I mix up a small bottle, using a ruler rather than measuring spoons and just leave the leftover in the bottle. It may get a little thicker, but it's still very usable for quite some time. When I'm using it again, I'll just add a 1/4 inch of 601 to every inch of 105 or 501.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Don't put it down the drain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    I really don't know, but there's really no reason to throw it away. I mix up a small bottle, using a ruler rather than measuring spoons and just leave the leftover in the bottle. It may get a little thicker, but it's still very usable for quite some time. When I'm using it again, I'll just add a 1/4 inch of 601 to every inch of 105 or 501.

Bill
    I clean my car two times a year, usually in spring and fall. Is the premix still safe to use on the paint if it has been sitting on the shelf for about 5-7 months? Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Safe? If it's not a solid glob that you can't apply, then it's still "safe". I don't think there's any worries about it turning into paint stripper.

Post Thanks / Like

When I pre mix, I've noticed little puffs of steam/condensation coming out the top of the bottle. You have to look very closely. If i squeeze the bottle very lightly, and hold it against a dark background, a tiny puff of steam/condensation will come out. There's definitely some kind of chemical reaction taking place. I just assume that whatever reaction is taking place lends itself to what this stuff is supposed to do (i.e. part of the curing process). I also assume that were I to have some left over and let it sit for a week, that chemical reaction will most likely be done doing its thing. Does that mean it won't work correctly? I really don't know. But I do know i can't go wrong by only mixing what I'll use in one session.

Post Thanks / Like

After you finish all paint, use the leftover on wheels. Anything else should go in the garbage. Duragloss recommends using the mix no longer than 2 hours after mixing for optimum performance. Polish Bonding Agent #601 accelerates the cross linking of the polymers within their polishes, which means you want this to happen on the paint. Regarding disposal, the only thing I wouldn't do with any chemical is release into fresh water source such as a stream/creek/river. Pouring waxes/sealants down the drain is not ideal unless you wish to replace piping.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

The alternative is to coat with #601, leave on paint as you coat with your next product, and wipe both layers off when dry. It's a quick extra step but you only use what you need.
    Agreed, don't forget the wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

The sample I got from a forum member of 501/601 nearly exploded when I took the cap off. What I mean is, the condensation, or whatever it is, of which you speak, came out with some force making a popping sound as the red stopper came out of the bottle that the sample was packed in...this red cap was underneath the fliptop cap. So yes, there's a reaction going on. To me it just shows what it will do on paint, but...it could potentially present some danger if it got into your eyes. I may have posted about this a long time ago, but I'm not sure.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I felt compelled to answer this as I was the one who introduced this concept to the AG community 6 years ago:

combining Duragloss 601 with 105 or 501

My experience using it is as follows. The first time I tried it, I mixed at least 2 ounces of the 501 originally and the proportional amount of 601 with it. I had way more mixed up than I used. That was ok as I intended it to be like a RTU product for when I needed it. Yes, it did thicken in viscosity once mixed after a few days, but its performance never wavered. Eventually (like after 6 months I believe), it solidified into a DG brick, LOL.

My suggestion still is to try to mix what you think you might use but don't sweat it if you've mixed up too much. Worse case scenario, you'll be throwing it out a long time later if it solidifies.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast