autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

paint film protection gone bad !...

Hi, I have installed a year back paint film protection (which is thick enough and durable and can protect the paint from various bumps and deliberate scratches), anyways, i did a mistake trusting the shop who supplied and applied it on my car, in less than 1 year i started noticing the film getting very dirty, hazy and even very very rough to touch and clean, when visited recently he said we couldnt do nothing, anyways i insisted, and he changed it on his claimed years warranty, but once he peeled off the paint protection i was shocked to see it turned from transparent colour to absolutely brown, when i asked why, he said this is due to the heat and sun (no precise answer) but it was for sure a shitty product he used or coz i parked my car in the sun for a certain period of time where i didn't have underground parking, long story short, i applied this film on my previous car as well (3M brand) and it didnt suffer the same, but even once removed it was actually yellow in color, now i changed my parking location and 80% of the time i park underground, but id like to know did any one had experience with those films, and why do they turn yellow ? and if that was due to sun rays/infrared is there something you can spray over to protect from turning yellow ? (wax/sealant maybe?) i know it's unusual question, but truth its a pain in the a$$ keep changing those films every 1-2 years especially if you park he car in sun from time-to-time, so little maintenance is worth it if it can prolong it's life...

thanks for any comments...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: paint film protection gone bad !...

The older PPF glue had the yellowing issue. If you'd install a film today. That issue has been resolved.

I only prefer 3m Suntek or Xpel ultimate.

There are other cheaper films out there that have the issues you're having.
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aliitp View Post
    Hi, I have installed a year back paint film protection (which is thick enough and durable and can protect the paint from various bumps and deliberate scratches), anyways, i did a mistake trusting the shop who supplied and applied it on my car, in less than 1 year i started noticing the film getting very dirty, hazy and even very very rough to touch and clean, when visited recently he said we couldnt do nothing, anyways i insisted, and he changed it on his claimed years warranty, but once he peeled off the paint protection i was shocked to see it turned from transparent colour to absolutely brown, when i asked why, he said this is due to the heat and sun (no precise answer) but it was for sure a shitty product he used or coz i parked my car in the sun for a certain period of time where i didn't have underground parking, long story short, i applied this film on my previous car as well (3M brand) and it didnt suffer the same, but even once removed it was actually yellow in color, now i changed my parking location and 80% of the time i park underground, but id like to know did any one had experience with those films, and why do they turn yellow ?
    Let me sell you some periods for those sentences.... paint film protection gone bad !...-biggrin-gif

anyways, it's likely cheap cheap cheap product. newer film of a good quality won't do that. especially the ones with clear coats on them. did they put better product on it I hope? Did you get to see the name on the backing of it?

and if that was due to sun rays/infrared is there something you can spray over to protect from turning yellow ? (wax/sealant maybe?) i know it's unusual question, but truth its a pain in the a$$ keep changing those films every 1-2 years especially if you park he car in sun from time-to-time, so little maintenance is worth it if it can prolong it's life...
    any LSP with a UV Blocker will help. You can put a coating on it too. Typically 5-8yrs is what they are good for before breaking down or having any issues removing them. I've had them on cars that are 10yrs old though with no issues. Again, depends on the product and installer. I'll have the very nose portion/bumper cover on my Audi pulled off and re-done in another 3yrs or so as they will take a beating and begin to look etched from all the debris hitting them. Paint under it will be perfect though. costs to do just my bumper cover will be minimal.

Here's a shot of the front being done. My buddy is an installer. We did the entire front nose clip in two sections, top/bottom running the seam inside the body line/groove just below the headlight washers.

There are lots of good products out there. He currently using Premium Shield's Elite product. Lifetime warranty, 5-7 layers and super crystal clear. So clear and so durable I put it over my headlights.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have installed a year back paint film protection (which is thick enough and durable and can protect the paint from various bumps and deliberate scratches), anyways, i did a mistake trusting the shop who supplied and applied it on my car, in less than 1 year i started noticing the film getting very dirty, hazy and even very very rough to touch and clean, when visited recently he said we couldnt do nothing, anyways i insisted, and he changed it on his claimed years warranty, but once he peeled off the paint protection i was shocked to see it turned from transparent colour to absolutely brown, when i asked why, he said this is due to the heat and sun (no precise answer) but it was for sure a shitty product he used or coz i parked my car in the sun for a certain period of time where i didn't have underground parking, long story short, i applied this film on my previous car as well (3M brand) and it didnt suffer the same, but even once removed it was actually yellow in color, now i changed my parking location and 80% of the time i park underground, but id like to know did any one had experience with those films, and why do they turn yellow ? and if that was due to sun rays/infrared is there something you can spray over to protect from turning yellow ? (wax/sealant maybe?) i know it's unusual question, but truth its a pain in the a$$ keep changing those films every 1-2 years especially if you park he car in sun from time-to-time, so little maintenance is worth it if it can prolong it's life...

thanks for any comments...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    The older PPF glue had the yellowing issue. If you'd install a film today. That issue has been resolved.

I only prefer 3m Suntek or Xpel ultimate.

There are other cheaper films out there that have the issues you're having.
    Can you space your sentences like "Jomax"? Makes it easier to read. Txs

Post Thanks / Like

There probably isn't anything worse
    than paint protection film (PPF) that's
    gone bad...Well, unless, it's:
    "Good Lovin' Gone Bad"

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Let me sell you some periods for those sentences.... paint film protection gone bad !...-biggrin-gif

anyways, it's likely cheap cheap cheap product. newer film of a good quality won't do that. especially the ones with clear coats on them. did they put better product on it I hope? Did you get to see the name on the backing of it?

any LSP with a UV Blocker will help. You can put a coating on it too. Typically 5-8yrs is what they are good for before breaking down or having any issues removing them. I've had them on cars that are 10yrs old though with no issues. Again, depends on the product and installer. I'll have the very nose portion/bumper cover on my Audi pulled off and re-done in another 3yrs or so as they will take a beating and begin to look etched from all the debris hitting them. Paint under it will be perfect though. costs to do just my bumper cover will be minimal.

Here's a shot of the front being done. My buddy is an installer. We did the entire front nose clip in two sections, top/bottom running the seam inside the body line/groove just below the headlight washers.

There are lots of good products out there. He currently using Premium Shield's Elite product. Lifetime warranty, 5-7 layers and super crystal clear. So clear and so durable I put it over my headlights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Can you space your sentences like "Jomax"? Makes it easier to read. Txs

sorry i was typing that on a hurry, i cant edit my post anymore am afraid but thanks for pointing it to me !...

bottom line what is LSP ??

Post Thanks / Like

bottom line what is LSP ??
    LSP, last step product, aka wax, sealant or coating.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)