autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Gel Coat Hardness

Hello Detail Experts!
    1st post... I should be receiving my new UDM/Menzerna kit any day and will be working on some known hard CC vehicles. I've learned so much reading on this cool Forum- Thanks! I'll also be putting a boat to rest for the winter, and just realized I don't know much about GEL COATS. Where do they fall in line with auto CLEAR COATS as far as hardness? I know, like automotive, this will depend upon manufacturer and model/year, but a general understanding of gel coat reaction to polishing would be appreciated.
    Thanks for all the great information
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Gel coat is pretty tough stuff... It does tend to oxidize or yellow more than car clear coats, making it a good idea to keep it protected. I'm not sure what condition the boat is in now but if it's oxidized, you may want to look into a good paint cleaner. If there is marring and scratches, you'll probably need an abrasive polish, and maybe a wool pad. I have found many gel coats to be porous and a wool pad tends to polish in the pores better than a foam pad. I haven't done many gel coat vehicles before but hopefully this helped a little. Car care products can be used on boats but you may want to look into Duragloss or Meguiar's Marine line as well. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's Professional Boat Detailing Products:
    This list may need to be up-dated-

#49 Super Duty Fiberglas Cleaner- use to polish-out extreme surface oxidation and other significant surface defects.
    #44 Heavy Duty Colour Restorer- to polish-out mild surface oxidation, fine scratches, water spots and dullness

#45 Boat Polish- to restore optimum gloss, especially on dark colours, after the fibreglass gel coat has been pre-cleaned and all embedded contamination has been removed.
    #27 Chrome Cleaner Polish - clean and polish bright metal surfaces
    #50 Cleaner Wax- clean, polish and protect in one easy application. Also removes light oxidation and mild surface contamination.
    #56 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax - to add a measure of protective lustre to previously cleaned and polished fibreglass, also good as a second coat of added protection of pre-cleaned stainless steel and chrome.
    #55 Polymer Sealant - to create an exceptional long lasting shine, it also provides maximum protection and outlasts ordinary wax

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a 25 year old boat. On a boating forum I belong to, the typical process is to use a rubbing/polishing compound with a rotary polisher. Gel coat is tuff stuff, and if it's oxidized you need to cut it down a bit. Follow up with a polishing compound. They recommend 3M Finese-it. Again using the rotary. Then a good seal and wax.

It's allot of work, but it does look good. If anyone wants the forum, let me know, there is a section for detailing specifically for watercraft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tjl5709 View Post

It's allot of work, but it does look good. If anyone wants the forum, let me know, there is a section for detailing specifically for watercraft.
    Thanks tjl5709!
    I would like to visit that forum. Please send me the info