autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad Touchup - Best Way to Fix

Last weekend I bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2014 BMW 320i xDrive, in the dealership when I looked over the car I failed to notice this very bad touchup job done on the bumper. What in your opinions would be the best way to take care of it. I know there is the Langka blob remover should I try something like that would that ever work on a large area like these 2 areas? Would this be something a good detailer could wet sand and made to look decent? Or would you guys just bite the bullet and take it to a body shop to get the bumper resprayed?

Part of the issue is on the top touch up they didn't even cover the whole thing.

Here is the touchup:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad Touchup - Best Way to Fix-img_20160902_131908-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bad Touchup - Best Way to Fix

Bite the bullet.If it's a cpo by the BMW dealer see if you can negotiate with the finance guy or sales manager and just pay a flat rate to fix it.or even better see if they will eat it.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you want to fix it yourself? Lacquer thinner should wipe that right out and you can start over. The Langka may knock it down also.

Post Thanks / Like

Touch up, what touch up?

Try lacquer thinner to remove the glob of paint. Then get the factory BMW touch up tube from dealer. Buy yourself some super fine paint brushes. Walmart has them in their craft aisle. Very light coat, followed by a second light coat. Don't sweat the touch up. Unless you trailer your car, you will get chips and scuffs.

That is the beauty of buying used cars. They come pre installed with all sorts of imperfections. That way when you get another stone chip, you won't lose sleep over it. I would literally be so paranoid/OCD about driving a new car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSF767 View Post
    Last weekend I bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2014 BMW 320i xDrive, in the dealership when I looked over the car I failed to notice this very bad touchup job done on the bumper. What in your opinions would be the best way to take care of it. I know there is the Langka blob remover should I try something like that would that ever work on a large area like these 2 areas? Would this be something a good detailer could wet sand and made to look decent? Or would you guys just bite the bullet and take it to a body shop to get the bumper resprayed?

Part of the issue is on the top touch up they didn't even cover the whole thing.

Here is the touchup:

I agree with the others but the good news is twofold. 1. That blob looks to be a good color match. 2. You're going to need to layers in some glazing putty to start the fix. The deepest part of the scratch looks to be down to primer or steel.

My take is, sand out the rough edges by feathering them, then use glazing putty, then layer 4-5 coats of very thin color coat. You might even be able to layer some clear as your final coat. That should be a good DIY 80-90% fix. Plenty good enough on a DD.

Option two is sand it out, layer primer then airbrush a blend into the area. Need to know how to airbrush so my guess is option 1 is a better way to go.

And yes the dealer can fix this.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

If it were mine i would first try to wetsand that touch up and then buff and polish out to see if you can improve it to a point you'd be happy with. If you're not happy i would go ahead and remove it with a solvent and touch it up yourself. Basically remove what's there and start over from scratch (literally). Or bring it to a good detail outfit that might be able to do it right if you don't trust yourself.

Oh, and 2 more things. A huge welcome to AGO and congrats on the new BMW!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you can try and remove it but I doubt if it's been on there long enough that a solvent will remove it.

My suggestion would be to tape it off, wet sand it down and then polish and blend it as best you can. If that doesn't work, order some Dr. Color Chip, sand it again and then reapply the good stuff and blend it. There too however, I would look to blend it via a wet sand and buff. I've had tremendously good luck doing it.

Overall however, congrats on the new car and a warm welcome to AG.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    I agree that you can try and remove it but I doubt if it's been on there long enough that a solvent will remove it.
    I beg to differ, lacquer thinner will take touchup paint off/out no matter how long it's been on there. Catalyzed paints are a different story.