autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some of you guys who are charging so little, how do you guys do it?

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    how xan u work nine hours everyday with no break, dont u need to eat? how much do u weigh? that kind of workload is not healthy, id have a nervous breakdown in six months tops working like that, not to mention the labor laws to put it politely, u could never run a company like that
    When its hot and humid we work 6 hour days, no lunch , drinking whatever you want to bring, but we dont sit down and stop. Everyone agrees, eating when its 95 out sucks. The laborers will have snacks they pick at usually.

We pour sweat for 6 hours straight, no way im stopping to sit down and discuss life and pour sweat at the same time lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro Sam View Post
    Like this title said, how do you guys do a full interior and exterior, which includes wash, clay bar, and wax in 3 hours? I have this competitor (can I post his business) who does this and charges only $90 bucks. He has 5/5 star reviews on yelp by 5 reviewers. When I do a full interior or exterior, it can take anywhere from 6 hours to 8 hours with a partner. What's going on here lol!
    I'll offer my perspective and use my words purposely. If a car is in very good condition, a clay bar, wash and wax (and interior) can be done in 3 hours BUT

(a) how many cars are in THAT good of condition and that's all they require? Very few. Said another way, how many cars would you allow to leave your hands with just a clay, wash and wax and say 'I am happy with how that car looks?' Again very few. Meaning most of use would ninimally have our DA's out for an AIO or polish in addition to that clay, wash and wax. There are very few cars where a wash, clay, polish, wax and interior can be done by one person in 3 hours. Add in a second pair of hands and now yoo've taken a bite out of what little profit might be in there. I've been known to spend several hours on the horizontal surfaces alone polishing some cars.

(b) at most this person is doing 3 cars a day - at most - and making $270 before expenses. Remove expenses of poducts, his own transportation, meals, labor help etc. and he's making much less.

(c) some customers will offer glowing reviews for their car being clean, even if it contains tons of swirls. Most customers look for clean versus perfect paint, and we all know which is harder and much more time consuming to achieve. Case in point, I show people the swirls before I start and you'd be surprised how many have a hard time seeing them - untrained eye.

...or it could be that this detailer can make ends meet at this price because of where he lives, maybe has very little debt?

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
    Mummified banana
    LMAO it blows my mind how some people just totally neglect their vehicles. I never understood that mentality.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend recently moved to South Carolina, and told me that she gets her car detailed at the car wash for $19.
    "The inside is all nice and shiny when they're done." I just kept quiet. I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate the quality of a true detail, and is happy with what she's getting.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a car to them and see what you get for the $90 you gotta shop the competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I'll offer my perspective and use my words purposely. If a car is in very good condition, a clay bar, wash and wax (and interior) can be done in 3 hours BUT

(a) how many cars are in THAT good of condition and that's all they require? Very few. Said another way, how many cars would you allow to leave your hands with just a clay, wash and wax and say 'I am happy with how that car looks?' Again very few. Meaning most of use would ninimally have our DA's out for an AIO or polish in addition to that clay, wash and wax. There are very few cars where a wash, clay, polish, wax and interior can be done by one person in 3 hours. Add in a second pair of hands and now yoo've taken a bite out of what little profit might be in there. I've been known to spend several hours on the horizontal surfaces alone polishing some cars.

(b) at most this person is doing 3 cars a day - at most - and making $270 before expenses. Remove expenses of poducts, his own transportation, meals, labor help etc. and he's making much less.

(c) some customers will offer glowing reviews for their car being clean, even if it contains tons of swirls. Most customers look for clean versus perfect paint, and we all know which is harder and much more time consuming to achieve. Case in point, I show people the swirls before I start and you'd be surprised how many have a hard time seeing them - untrained eye.

...or it could be that this detailer can make ends meet at this price because of where he lives, maybe has very little debt?

ScottH
    Exactly. My typical customer is someone who has a 6 year old car and hasn't ever had the car detailed. There train wrecks. Paint has swirls all over it, surface scratches. Wax isn't removing the slightest surface scratch or swirls.

Sure, I can wax a vehicle in 15 minutes when using Collinite. Not even close when I'm using HD Speed and trying to remove light swirls and surface scratches on the entire car because it's a mini wreck

Post Thanks / Like

Amen brother!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a typical customer we have. If one can get this looking top notch in 3 hours. You're the man.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...37610589729686

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
    LMAO it blows my mind how some people just totally neglect their vehicles. I never understood that mentality.
    i neglegyed my first car, i only washed it three times in fifteen years, reason? it was cheap and i never really liked it or wanted it in the first place, it was strictly transportation

Post Thanks / Like

I can knock out some work pretty quick, I have tried to make all my processes as simple as possible and whatever I need I have right next me,for the interior I complete a section at a time and for exterior I wash and clay a section at a time so I'm not circling the car a hundred times and I'm not doing a lot of thinking of what I'm going to use, I know what works and I don't have a million products, I have a few that I know work. Keep it simple

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast