autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite leather cleaner/protectant?

This is 1 of those cases where they'd love you to buy 99 products. I have a couple of bottles of the consumer Quik Interior Detailer collecting dust for a long time now. D181 can do everything D149 can except maybe nav screens. And D101 can do everything that D181 can except D181 does it better on Leather & Vinyl and D101 does it better on all other surfaces, meaning it can clean nav screens and woodgrain consoles. It's sort of a similar situation with D108 Super Degreaser, it can be substituted for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quik Interior Detailer is great for that final wipe on woodgrain, center consoles, and dashboards. That's what it exceeds at, getting everything spot & fingerprint free.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't D180 a cleaner and protectant? Why couldn't I just go with that? Although I guess it is probably to thick to spray on so I can see that being a disadvantage for cleaning the seats. Just don't want to spend $70+ to buy both D180 and D181 I guess...

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite leather cleaner/protectant?

Quote Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
    Isn't D180 a cleaner and protectant? Why couldn't I just go with that? Although I guess it is probably to thick to spray on so I can see that being a disadvantage for cleaning the seats. Just don't want to spend $70+ to buy both D180 and D181 I guess...
    You could've just went with that.. However since most of us here tend to have a different definition of clean than ordinary people, having that dedicated cleaner before using the 2in1 is worth having.. That doesn't mean that the 2in1 that D180 provides sucks, it just means that using D181 in conjunction with 180 gives a premium end result.

I just did a Mercedes Benz E Class tonight. The leather interior was in need of cleaning. However I wasn't there to do a "detail" All I did was a vacuum and finished all the interior leather & vinyl with D180 because this customer loves the look and finish it gives their car. Here's what the brand new applicator looks like now.

Favorite leather cleaner/protectant?-imageuploadedbyagonline1472791593-184290-jpg

Favorite leather cleaner/protectant?-imageuploadedbyagonline1472791607-068018-jpg

Did it clean? Yes, it's no slouch. But the D181 would've cleaned waay more. Those are the little differences.

But the D149 is going to clean even less than that in some cases.. I would say D149 has an avantage on dash/steering wheel. Whereas D180 would have the advantage on leather seats. D180 is a lotion. Squeeze onto an applicator and rub into the surface to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm too bad they don't have smaller bottles of the D180 or D181. Like I said I don't intend to use D149 as a cleaner...and I won't even use it on the leather...I have some McKees left over I can use to clean leather with for now. Well idk maybe I will end up with both...or maybe I will just clean with APC and top with D180 idk

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite leather cleaner/protectant?

maybe I will just clean with APC and top with D180 idk
    That can totally be done. That's the maintenance plan I set my bother on just recently when he bought his new Jeep Grand Cherokee with leather interior. I didn't want to overwhelm him with stuff to buy so I just pre diluted him a gallon of D101 APC to maintain his interior clean for now.

Remember, D101 @10:1 works almost exactly like D181.. The differences and so minor that a normL person wouldn't even notice. And people like us would buy both because we sort of love more candy on our wall. The difference is minimal in most cases.

If you've ever tried Megs Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner Spray or wipes, that's kind of the exact results you're looking at with the D180 Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. Except the D180 has a more universally appealing scent.

Post Thanks / Like

My girlfriend has a 2014 Ford Escape with black leather (I assume it is coated leather? - definitely not like leather you would see in an F150 King Ranch).

I am thinking Meguiar's D149 for interior and Meguiar's D180 for leather seats.

What do you guys think?
    It is coated leather. Most modern cars come with coated leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    D149 is a Light duty cleaner. I wish you luck on the smell... Last I checked it was a toss up on whether you get part of the bad batch or not.
    The gallon I have is fine and doesn't smell. But everyone has a different sensitivity of smell.

I think I got you confused. I bought the D149 for the rest of the interior. I wanted a dedicated leather product for cleaning and protection.

Leather Master is nice but very little product.
    D149 works great. It can clean pretty well for light to moderate dirt. It makes a good maintenance product for weekly wipedowns to keep the interior clean. If you have heavy soil D101 works fine.

This is 1 of those cases where they'd love you to buy 99 products. I have a couple of bottles of the consumer Quik Interior Detailer collecting dust for a long time now. D181 can do everything D149 can except maybe nav screens. And D101 can do everything that D181 can except D181 does it better on Leather & Vinyl and D101 does it better on all other surfaces, meaning it can clean nav screens and woodgrain consoles. It's sort of a similar situation with D108 Super Degreaser, it can be substituted for.
    I have to disagree. I find D180 to be rather weak in it's cleaning ability. I find D149 Quik Interior Detailer to do a better job of cleaning. I also don't like the look of D180 on plastics. It leaves them with a dehydrated look and it doesn't last. I only use it on leather as a protectant. I also find that D180 attracts more dirt and dust.

You think D149 stinks, D108 is even worse. I would never use that in a non ventilated area.

I agree with you on D181 being a much better leather cleaner over D101. But if someone is looking to save a little cost, D101 works just fine. I would just recommend following up with a damp microfiber towel because it leaves the surface feeling tacky. Especially on leather and vinyl.

D180 is a gel and it is applied via foam or microfiber applicator. You could go with that and it will be fine. But don't expect it to remove heavy dirt. Light dirt as best from personal use.

Save yourself some money and just get this kit. It's a much better protectant compared to D180. If you need more sealer you will need another kit. That is the only downside. But the sealer goes a long way.

Meguiars Gold Class Leather Sealer Treatment

If you run out of cleaner you can always use D101 or buy a bottle of this. The cleaner is fairly similar to D181.

Meguiars Gold Class Leather & Vinyl Cleaner, leather seat cleaner, car leather cleaner

You could've just went with that.. However since most of us here tend to have a different definition of clean than ordinary people having that dedicated cleaner before using the 2in1 is worth having.. That doesn't mean that the 2in1 deal that D180 sucks, it just means that using D181 in conjunction with 180 gives a premium end result.

I just did a Mercedes Benz E Class tonight. The leather interior was in need of cleaning. However I wasn't there to do a "detail" All I did was a vacuum and finished all the interior leather & vinyl with D180 because this customer loves the look and finish it gives their car. Here's what the brand new applicator looks like now.

Favorite leather cleaner/protectant?-imageuploadedbyagonline1472791593-184290-jpg

Favorite leather cleaner/protectant?-imageuploadedbyagonline1472791607-068018-jpg

Did it clean? Yes, it's no slouch. But the D181 would've cleaned waay more. Those are the little differences.
    The cleaning ability is enhanced by the microfiber applicator. Warm water and a microfiber can clean just as well, if not better.

Hmm too bad they don't have smaller bottles of the D180 or D181. Like I said I don't intend to use D149 as a cleaner...and I won't even use it on the leather...I have some McKees left over I can use to clean leather with for now. Well idk maybe I will end up with both...or maybe I will just clean with APC and top with D180 idk
    D149 can be used on leather with no ill effects. Weekly wipedowns would actually be beneficial to keeping leather clean and dust free.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a terry cotton applicator.😁

Post Thanks / Like

It's a terry cotton applicator.��
    ^^ I use the same for my interiors and other items. Sold in 6 packs for cheap, they are MF/Terry Cloth applicators that are easy to grip and work great. As in the case where Eldorado2K is showing, they are cheap enough to toss out after such a nasty clean up job too
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant

I like the product because it works great on all interior surfaces. It has a mild cleaning ability, so for well maintained interiors you can knock out the cleaning and protection/wipe down all in one step. The 16oz bottle should last me a VERY long time, even with three cars to maintain.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast