autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Matte Stripes - Iron Removal & Hydro2

Hey guys, my new 50th Anniversary Camaro is at the rail yard right now and is expected to arrive this weekend. The 50th Anniversary cars have 2 thinner orange gloss stripes with a larger black matte stripe down the middle. I've done some searching on here and got some answers but couldn't find anything directly in regards to my question. Since the car is at the rail yard at the moment, I suspect iron will be an issue, what product can I use that is safe for the stripes? Also, I ran across hydro2 and will definitely be using it on my wheels but can I use this on the entire car with the matte stripes? If hydro2 isn't safe for matte stripes, is there something similar with the beading qualities that will work?

On a separate question, when using sealants, what kind of masking tape is safe for the stripes, so I can mask them as needed?

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matte Stripes - Iron Removal & Hydro2

Quote Originally Posted by Billabongi View Post
    Hey guys, my new 50th Anniversary Camaro is at the rail yard right now and is expected to arrive this weekend. The 50th Anniversary cars have 2 thinner orange gloss stripes with a larger black matte stripe down the middle. I've done some searching on here and got some answers but couldn't find anything directly in regards to my question. Since the car is at the rail yard at the moment, I suspect iron will be an issue, what product can I use that is safe for the stripes? Also, I ran across hydro2 and will definitely be using it on my wheels but can I use this on the entire car with the matte stripes? If hydro2 isn't safe for matte stripes, is there something similar with the beading qualities that will work?

On a separate question, when using sealants, what kind of masking tape is safe for the stripes, so I can mask them as needed?
    WOW congrats on the new car! I just received the newest issue of Motortrend and it has the 50th Anniversary Camaro on the cover.

That's a great question and I'm glad that you asked.

To remove the iron on the decals, you'll want to use McKee's 37 Xtreme Iron Remover. This product is ACID FREE and 100% safe on all exterior surfaces, including decals.

Hydro2 will probably be OKAY to use on the decals, but I would play it safe and use a product designed strictly for that application - McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant. This product will clean and protect the stripes in one step, and it's safe for all types of paint protection films, gloss decals, matte decals, you name it.

Be sure to take a couple before and after pictures!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That was quick! I was looking at McKees Iron removal, glad I was looking in the right place. So if I use something like McKee's Matte Finish Cleaner, is there something that is like Hydro2, I can use on the rest of the car for the protection\beading\ease of use qualities?

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking at hydro2 (which is a great product) Check out HydroFoam. You can wash your Camaro and it leaves behind legit protection all on one step. I'm still waiting on my 2 gallons of McKee's iron remover so I can't attest to that but if Nick says it's good, than its Good!

Post Thanks / Like

IronX is made for jobs like that, painted surface or wheels, no problem with the matte stripes , just make sure to rinse well after it has reacted with the iron particles.
    about Hydro2 , you can use that diluted 1:5 or use the Hydro2 Lite , which is ready to use formula.
    with Hydro Lite you cam use as spray on rinse off or spray on wipe off. both ways possible. it will no damage the matte or gloss them, just make sure you work fast and do test spot before the whole car.
    HTH

Post Thanks / Like

I did have iron x leave marks on the plastic splitters on my car. Now I avoid letting any run off hit the area. YMMV

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, really appreciate it! Hydro lite is currently out of stock so I bought hydro2. Will do wheels at 1:3 and then do a different dilution of 1:5 for the car.