autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Water ban and detailing process issues

I am a plenty experienced geek here and have never ran into the issue of a water ban. Usually I would follow the normal detailing process and then apply a sealent or something else. Its a new lease and I was going to wash it with Optimum no Rinse and then somehow try to iron decon it and then seal the paint. Now I have a water ban for my town....just great

My issues are
    A. Never have really used ONR as a wash-more just a clay lube and quick detailer so how could I do this knowing im going to clay after ?
    B. With wheels, how could I work through things knowing ill not be able to rinse after? I do have a gilmour sprayer so I might be able to get stuff from the house and not an outside tap?

After a "wash" I would want to iron decon the paint and maybe even before Iron decon wheels, how would I be able to do this with just ONR? Is it even possible?
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water ban and detailing process issues

The rag company has youtube videos on some of those things you ask.

What i haven't found is, how to do an iron decon, when using ONR (!) - Hope somebody can answer that!

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    I am a plenty experienced geek here and have never ran into the issue of a water ban. Usually I would follow the normal detailing process and then apply a sealent or something else. Its a new lease and I was going to wash it with Optimum no Rinse and then somehow try to iron decon it and then seal the paint.

My issues are
    A. Never have really used ONR as a wash-more just a clay lube and quick detailer so how could I do this knowing im going to clay after

Simply wash the vehicle again with ONR at rinseless dilution. It goes really quick. I am mobile and rinseless. I will rinseless wash a vehicle, clay it, then wash again quick. You can do this method over the whole car or a few panels at a time temperature dependent. If the car isn't really that bad, you just dry if you're using ONR as your clay lube.

B. With wheels, how could I work through things knowing ill not be able to rinse after? I do have a gilmour sprayer so I might be able to get stuff from the house and not an outside tap.

This is where it gets tricky if you have a complete ban. Assuming you're just maintaining your vehicles, keep your wheel cleaning brushes in a bucket with ONR. Pre soak the wheel with ONR from a Sprayer, use brushes to agitate, then wipe clean with MF cloths meant for wheel duty. Get a good pressurized sprayer and keep ONR at rinseless dilution in it. You can wipe your wells down with ONR moistened MF towel, then dry with another.

After a "wash" I would want to iron decon the paint, how would I be able to do this with just ONR? Is it even possible?

Since you technically only need to decon paint in this way maybe a few times a year, a pay and spray will be your friend. Bring your rinseless wash setup with you.

If you have any more in depth questions, send me a message.
    See bold.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    I am a plenty experienced geek here and have never ran into the issue of a water ban. Usually I would follow the normal detailing process and then apply a sealent or something else. Its a new lease and I was going to wash it with Optimum no Rinse and then somehow try to iron decon it and then seal the paint.

My issues are
    A. Never have really used ONR as a wash-more just a clay lube and quick detailer so how could I do this knowing im going to clay after
    B. With wheels, how could I work through things knowing ill not be able to rinse after? I do have a gilmour sprayer so I might be able to get stuff from the house and not an outside tap.

After a "wash" I would want to iron decon the paint, how would I be able to do this with just ONR? Is it even possible?
    You need plenty of water to fully rinse iron x,I would not take that chance even with a spray pump .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    You need plenty of water to fully rinse iron x,I would not take that chance even with a spray pump .
    My thought on this. I am probably going to have to wait on that part.
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a local DIY car wash near you? I think they have to reclaim their water.

Go at a time no one will be there and do the wheels and decon there first.

I have rinsed wheels with a garden sprayer and a rinsed out wheel brush. The brush, or some form of agitation, is needed to help remove the cleaner because of the low flow of water.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I read somewhere on here about how to do the iron decon if you are rinseless washing.

I believe it was something like spray very lightly and spread around with a sponge, or just spray on a sponge and spread around. I may be totally wrong and try at your own risk.

If you did do this, I would follow up with a good soaking rinseless wash or two. It would be a little less water conserving though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    The rag company has youtube videos on some of those things you ask.

What i haven't found is, how to do an iron decon, when using ONR (!) - Hope somebody can answer that!
    In the link below, Mike mentions that you can use the McKees iron remover without rinsing.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...n-remover.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb5450 View Post
    In the link below, Mike mentions that you can use the McKees iron remover without rinsing.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...n-remover.html
    I have 3d bdx, so I think I might try wiping it down with an onr soaked wash mitt then wipe it all off with a microfiber, technically the same process, not the best, but the best I can do here in my situation
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

^That's the thread.

My memory fails me again.