autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unofficial poll:Favorite leather cleaner/interior cleaner

It came in the same tan bottle as today's M39...may have even been called M39 then, but I'm still confident is M32 or M36 (the 36 I'm most confident in)...but the label was more similar to that one Setec posted yet older and said "Meguiar's Heavy Duty 'Plastic/Vinyl Prep' "...at an earlier point just being labeled 'Meguiar's Plastic/vinyl Prep'...with a 36 on the label. 1000% positive on the 'plastic/vinyl prep' part...about 98% sure it was labeled M36 at that time...around 1978-80ish give or take a few to about 1990-1995ish give or take a few.

Unless todays current Marine version of M57 is as stout a product as todays M39 (which I doubt), then that answer is no because todays M39 is a close to the product I'm talking about as you can get without them being identical...and they could be. I'm just saying that back then M39 had a different name, different label and highly possible from my memory a different number too.

You have to be able to remember...or look at the links I provided to see that the description of 'plastic/vinyl prep' was to be followed by "Mirror Glaze M57" (not the marine version you see today) at that time...which wasn't a Marine product and M40 wasn't yet available.

I doubt if even Barry would remember because so many products either changed or have been dropped altogether. Somewhere on the Meguiar's forum I asked at least one "Mike" about it who knew nothing and I emailed the other...I think.

You're more than welcome to try and ask Barry. I'd like to see some pictures of those old labels of 'plastic/vinyl prep'...one to prove they existed...and two to see for 100% assurity they did or didn't have a different number on the bottle then. In either case...and with getting back to the gist of this thread...to my knowledge neither the product I recall, nor it's replacement...M39...to my knowledge has never been offered in anything but 16oz. bottles...one of the best heavy duty interior cleaners available.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Research help needed for old Meguiars product...

It's no big deal. I just think it's a mystery that only a few people have posted and/or pm'd me that they recall the exact product and product name and label that I recall...yet no pictures exist in a day and time when nearly everything is researchable on the internet. I used many bottles of that stuff on my own trucks and bikes, dad's trucks, and later bought them a dozen bottles at a time for detailing projects when I cleaned work trucks and such...yet the 3 Mikes and all there experience and vast knowledge pulls a blank on this one. I used to buy it at our NAPA store and at a KIO paint supply store...and was later informed by those people it had changed to M39 and/or the label name had changed as well...I'm thinking both and fairly positive about that.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

@Hoytman. Of all the things you throw away eh?
    I've got 3 empty 1gl. bottles of Megs Detailer products right here on the floor next to my cabinet.. They've been there for a while, months. For some weird reason I tend to hang on to empties of certain detailing products for who knows what reason. And there's been times when I've chucked empties and then regretted it for minor reasons like being able to reference the label or something..

In your case, this would be the mother of all empty bottles you've thrown away. If you would've at least saved 1 this question would have closure. Till then it will sort of be a mythical product. Lol. J/k We believe you.😏😃

Post Thanks / Like

Mother of all empty bottles is the perfect way to describe it. The Mystery Meguiar's product worth a small fortune. LOL! It's not a pressing thing, but still it eats at me...because like you said...I kept that one bottle...actually two...one full and one empty...and then I went to pick up several more bottles and the guy at the counter was mystified. He recalled selling me products a few years earlier, but that product, unlike a wax, isn't something that most folks asked for or used a lot...except me I guess....therefore they don't tend to remember it much. That guy ended up selling me a similar looking bottle of M39 and when it seemed to work the same I never gave it another thought for a long time. I hung on to both my old bottles even after buying the M39, then eventually threw them away.

It wasn't until Mike Phillips posted the photos of his Meguiar's vintage products that I even really recalled the M39 like similar product and began to ask the 3 Mikescutteers about it. When I realized neither of them recalled the product and the old labels, which are really close in style to some of Mike P's old plastic M7 bottles, I sort of went into panic mode trying to locate a bottle or two...just so I could give them to Mike Phillips for his collection and to prove to myself that Alzheimer's hadn't sat in on me so early...if you know what I'm sayin'. LOL! I'm just a smidge over 40 and Mike P has me by ten and can't recall that product. Makes me want to pull my hair out. LOL! He'd really have a rare bottle if we could locate him one. As you can see from the Meguiar's thread there are a few that do recall using it from a different labeled bottle.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

@Hoytman. You know what this reminds me of? Al Bundy and that tune he "hymmed" at the human jukebox but the human jukebox had no clue what the heck song AL was trying to sing. Lol. You're just Like Al and nobody knows what you're talking about but you.😃

Kudos if you know which episode of Married With Children I'm referring to... I know some people know what I'm talking about. It was a classic.

Here's the original clip. Haha😃
    Al Bundy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1EyadKDhgBU

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel wells and wheels are quite different. So, what's your point?!
    --Shagnat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    It came in the same tan bottle as today's M39...may have even been called M39 then, but I'm still confident is M32 or M36 (the 36 I'm most confident in)...but the label was more similar to that one Setec posted yet older and said "Meguiar's Heavy Duty 'Plastic/Vinyl Prep' "...at an earlier point just being labeled 'Meguiar's Plastic/vinyl Prep'...with a 36 on the label. 1000% positive on the 'plastic/vinyl prep' part...about 98% sure it was labeled M36 at that time...around 1978-80ish give or take a few to about 1990-1995ish give or take a few.
    That bottle I have is old enough to not say Meguiar's anywhere on it, and still show Nashville as the location, but it's new enough to have a zip+4 on the Nashville address...I'd say I've had it since the mid-to-late 80's (no copyright date on the bottle). USPS says zip+4 was instituted in 1983.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shagnat View Post
    Wheel wells and wheels are quite different. So, what's your point?!
    It was humor.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec,
    That bottle, including the sprayer and block style 'MG', is identical to the bottles I remember. Even the label style is close but different wording with a "/" separating two words.

I still run into and do business with the guy that sold it to me and he remembers me bringing in the old bottles.

What we need is for Meguiar's to break out photo's of every product they've ever offered because I can't even locate a google image of the same bottle you have, Setec...they're all the modern labeled images...that's what's strange.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Setec,
    That bottle, including the sprayer and block style 'MG', is identical to the bottles I remember. It's hard to recall slight changes in those bottles and labels over time. Even the label style is close but different wording with a "/" separating two words.

I still run into and do business with the guy that sold it to me and he remembers me bringing in the old bottles.

What we need is for Meguiar's to break out photo's of every product they've ever offered because I can't even locate a google image of the same bottle you have, Setec...they're all the modern labeled images...that's what's strange.
    Bill

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678