autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Art of Glass Cleaning

This topic is based on the difficulties of cleaning glass on automobiles, one of my least favorite steps in detailing a vehicle.

Whether it be water spots,streaking, or built up grime on Windows it can be a huge pain to remove.

In this topic please post the steps,products, and tools in detail that you use to clean your glass to leave a flawless view for your customers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Art of Glass Cleaning

Glass is one of my favorite parts of a detail. Guess I'm crazy.

The exterior glass gets cleaned during the normal wash with soap. I don't think I've ever had windows that didn't come pretty clean doing that. If there are hard water spots or something I'll clay and/or hand polish using Duragloss 501 or another chemical cleaner.

Follow that up with a dedicated towel(waffle weave, glass, fast glass cloth, etc) and some glass cleaner, then a wipe on walk away sealant. Final wipe with distilled water(if I notice any streaking)

Post Thanks / Like

My most significant advances came after a long talk with a veteran pro window cleaner. Obviously, they're using squeegees, which I haven't tried yet, but I made some changes in technique that have helped me greatly. First, I use two mf towels. First is a regular mf, used as a "mop" to dislodge and pick up dirt, still leaving the glass slightly damp. Second pass is with a silky, thin nap glass mf from a local janitorial supply house. Second pass is done slowly and with very light pressure. He said "What's the use of a hi-tech cloth if you don't allow it to its job. Let the microfiber fabric do the work of absorption, rather than pressing hard and going fast, relying on friction". Once I dialed in my technique, the chemical became less important. Sprayway, Stoner's, Meg's D120 or even ONR all do the job well.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind cleaning glass. My method seems to work very well, for me.

First I inspect the glass, any tree sap or pine tar gets taken care of with Tarminator and paper towels.

Secondly, (or firstly if there's no tar to remove) I use ONR and an Opti-Eraser to lightly pre-clean the windshield and remove any suface contaminents.

Then I clean with Invisible glass and MF towel.

Then a final go-over with Rain-X.

For interior, a wipe with a dry MF towel to get off surface dirt. Then a cleaning with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and hot water wiped down with a MF towel (I do a two foot square area at a time)

Final pass with Invisable glass and clean MF towel. - Done! glass is always crystal clear w/no streaks.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest thing I've learned is how much Less-is-More applies to glass cleaner.

I had been using glass specific microfibers and the two towel method Bill mentioned. I've since switched to the Griot's PFM window towels and have had really good luck with a single towel. I'll switch it out for a new one if it starts to get saturated though.

Post Thanks / Like

Nowadays...This works for me:

•(S.) Korean, 70/30 Blend, 400gsm,
    Waffle-Weave Microfiber Towels
    •Meguiar's D120 Glass Cleaner
    (or, I may choose another one,
    out of the many, that tickles my
    fancy at the moment)

-Make sure glass surfaces are not "hot"
    -Clean window moldings...inside & out...
    before ever tackling the glass surfaces
    -One WW MF towel used "to wet";
    another WW MF towel "to dry"

Note(s):
    1.) Let the WW MF towel do the work:
    no need to use undue pressure.
    2.) If my window cleaning process
    winds up not being good enough...
    then "The Good Wife" can follow-up,
    if she so desires. (Again: no need to
    use undue pressure.)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that the silky towel (like the little ones to clean glasses) is the only towel that doesn't leave those tiny lint trails. I get it on my paint regardless of towel i use but it's not that noticeable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffnopus View Post
    I don't mind cleaning glass. My method seems to work very well, for me.

First I inspect the glass, any tree sap or pine tar gets taken care of with Tarminator and paper towels.

Secondly, (or firstly if there's no tar to remove) I use ONR and an Opti-Eraser to lightly pre-clean the windshield and remove any suface contaminents.

Then I clean with Invisible glass and MF towel.

Then a final go-over with Rain-X.

For interior, a wipe with a dry MF towel to get off surface dirt. Then a cleaning with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and hot water wiped down with a MF towel (I do a two foot square area at a time)

Final pass with Invisable glass and clean MF towel. - Done! glass is always crystal clear w/no streaks.
    The magic eraser is a great idea. I've had issues recently with vehicles that have had new windshields installed and there being a film on the inside of the glass that has been a PIA to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

I've found no matter what glass cleaner you use, always follow up with a dry clean one as a buffing towel. I just use regular old cg quick detailer foe my windows. For a full on thorough cleaning though, I like using Mckee 37 glass restoring polish after a quick claying. Most of the time too I'll throw on either some Gtechniq G5 glass coating or PBL Synergy just to avoid using my wipers.

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to interior glass, the most effective cleaner I have ever found is WATER! Perhaps not when the glass is really dirty. I have a small spritz bottle with water, spray it on the window, wipe with a terry cloth towel. Perfectly streak free clean EVERYTIME!

Exterior windows all depends on the condition or what I am doing to the car. On my personal cars, they are all coated in some sort of hydrophobic coating so they mostly resist water spotting. If I am polishing or compounding a car, I will usually go over the windows as well and that generally removes any hard water spots as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast