autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

First Time Coating

I just picked up PA Viking Coat on the sister site. I'm going to prep with Esclate first. I have a couple of questions:
    (1) any recs on coating a white car? Will it be harder to see high spots?
    (2) I have a couple of spots on the bumper where the paint is chipped. Do I have to repair those first? If so, any recs i.e. Dr. Colorchip..ease of use?
    (3)Pad recs ( I have both 7424XP and Flex)

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Time Coating

Being that the car is white,I would go to the BMW and buy there touch.Dr color chip or BMW paint will be a close match because it's white.Not a color that will give you terrible variance.For the coating go with something user friendly,like uber or gloss coat.Take your time to ensure good coverage.Good lighting would help maybe something at Home Depot or bright lumes hand held.Always angle your observation when looking for high spots.Sometimes your towel will indicate when you wipe that there is a highspot.But heard from several forum members that Viking is super easy to work with.I would fill the chips first then apply the Viking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenblade2001 View Post
    I just picked up PA Viking Coat on the sister site. I'm going to prep with Esclate first. I have a couple of questions:
    (2) I have a couple of spots on the bumper where the paint is chipped. Do I have to repair those first? If so, any recs i.e. Dr. Colorchip..ease of use?

thanks
    Here's the link to the show and shine I did on my white Rogue. The beauty of Viking Coat and all of their coatings is they apply like sealants. Their is no such thing as high spots with their products.

Polish Angel Esclate and Viking Coat

This is from Autopia's description page, you may want to re read before application of both products:

Work on a clean, dry surface that is cool to the touch. Shake product well before using.
    Apply a thin, even layer using a foam coating applicator. Apply with light pressure in small circular pattern.
    Leave on surface for 45 minutes.
    Buff off using a clean, soft, microfiber towel.
    Wait 2 hours, then apply a second coat in the same manner.
    Allow to cure for 3 hours.
    For added gloss, and to maintain the coating, use Polish Angel Viking Spritz.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Good sound advice so far. I ALWAYS repair chips before any LSP to seal them in underneath. I would absolutely LOVE to see that gorgeous Bavarian M car after if you are inclined to share your results, Ten!

Post Thanks / Like

As being a newbie I did my first coating last month so all I can recommend is have as much lighting possible. I thought I had a good light source, I was wrong!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenblade2001 View Post

thanks
    Follow the advice of custmsprty, I did and it was easy with great results! Not yet sure of durability but so far..

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, follow custmsprty's dyi. I have a pure white GTI, did it outside in the sun, with NO issues at all. It was actually custmsprty's post that helped me to decide on a coating. Thanks again custmsprty!
    MK7 GTI (stage 3-500whp) / Audi B8.5 S4 (dual pulley-430awhp) / Mercedes C43 AMG (JB4-380awhp)

Post Thanks / Like

@Custmprty, what are thoughts on correcting the paint? Does the Esclate have enough cut ? Any products you would compare it to i.e. Hyper Polish or Menz? Have you used the PA compound or polish?
    thanks