autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hydro 2 Lite Question

I recently picked up a bottle of this mostly for wheels and wells, but I have some questions for people who know the product better. I searched the forums, but I see conflicting answers to my questions.

1. If a car has an existing wax or sealant, can hydro 2 by applied on top? (is it a good idea, or worth doing?)
    2. If you have a bare paint, and apply hydro 2 on bare paint/plastic/windows etc. Is it possible to still dress the exterior plastic trim or is that locked under hydro 2? Or any other negatives to using any dressing in conjunction with hydro 2?
    3. I read using gloss enhancer soaps is bad. If I already apply hydro 2 what is the problem with using gloss enhancer soaps. I know CarPro says not too, but it's not very specific as to why not too. What can happen if you do?
    4. If a car with hydro 2 needs spot cleaning is it possible to use a spray water less wash to spot clean? Some contain small amounts of wax. Ideally I won't not want to mess with the properties of the product, but would like to be able to clean small areas without much effort.
    5. Health, I have applied hydro 2 using gloves and a face mask, because it has some pretty serious warnings on the label. In terms of long term exposure and organ failure. I have never seen such alarming product labels before. Has anyone experienced any issues with this product in terms of health, and does this apply only to the product in its pure form or is it also dangerous after it has bonded to a surface?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hydro 2 Lite Question

Subscribed
    MK7 GTI (stage 3-500whp) / Audi B8.5 S4 (dual pulley-430awhp) / Mercedes C43 AMG (JB4-380awhp)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by srpurdy View Post
    1. If a car has an existing wax or sealant, can hydro 2 by applied on top? (is it a good idea, or worth doing?)
    2. If you have a bare paint, and apply hydro 2 on bare paint/plastic/windows etc. Is it possible to still dress the exterior plastic trim or is that locked under hydro 2? Or any other negatives to using any dressing in conjunction with hydro 2?
    3. I read using gloss enhancer soaps is bad. If I already apply hydro 2 what is the problem with using gloss enhancer soaps. I know CarPro says not too, but it's not very specific as to why not too. What can happen if you do?
    4. If a car with hydro 2 needs spot cleaning is it possible to use a spray water less wash to spot clean? Some contain small amounts of wax. Ideally I won't not want to mess with the properties of the product, but would like to be able to clean small areas without much effort.
    5. Health, I have applied hydro 2 using gloves and a face mask, because it has some pretty serious warnings on the label. In terms of long term exposure and organ failure. I have never seen such alarming product labels before. Has anyone experienced any issues with this product in terms of health, and does this apply only to the product in its pure form or is it also dangerous after it has bonded to a surface?

Thanks for any input you can provide.
    1. Its not really worth doing. Hydro is best applied to bare paint.
    2. You can still dress the trim although the bonding of the dressing will be diminished as it wont really stick to Hydro.
    3. I don't bother using any other soaps once I get going on the Hydro routine. Hydro2 and HydroFoam is the way to go. Never tried using another soap in conjunction with these two products.
    4. You could perform spot cleaning with a detailer. Just use a detailer without LSP properties. The Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash would be ideal. Mix it up to detailer strength.
    5. Hmmm. Never used any PPE when using Hydro. Always sprayed on surface and rinsed away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    1. Its not really worth doing. Hydro is best applied to bare paint.
    2. You can still dress the trim although the bonding of the dressing will be diminished as it wont really stick to Hydro.
    3. I don't bother using any other soaps once I get going on the Hydro routine. Hydro2 and HydroFoam is the way to go. Never tried using another soap in conjunction with these two products.
    4. You could perform spot cleaning with a detailer. Just use a detailer without LSP properties. The Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash would be ideal. Mix it up to detailer strength.
    5. Hmmm. Never used any PPE when using Hydro. Always sprayed on surface and rinsed away.
    Thanks for the answers. It is helpful. Because I have seen some topics where people say to have bare paint, and some say put it on top of your lsp... but the lsp can be a coating which I would expect it to work on a coating, but it's not very specific about wax or sealant. So I appreciate a clear answer. These are questions I wanted answered as I'd like to offer hydro 2 as an option instead of using a wax or sealant. So If I do this. I need to know all the facts. I think it will save other people from using products that mess with the properties which could cause grief to them if they are doing this on someone's car. I like to avoid these situations if at all possible.

As for #5 it even says it can cause serious eye damage if it gets in your eyes. I didn't have any protective glasses to wear.... So maybe carpro can elaborate on this? Since I would expect they know more about the product then we do. I mostly want to make sure I am handling it safely.

Post Thanks / Like

When using Hydro lite, stick with using it on a bare surface or one that is wearing any of the CQ coatings.

HydroFoam is a great Wash N Wax service... You can also add to it with Hydro lite.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't put too much stock in one label having a sterner health warning than another label. Car waxes are not under a lot of regulation. Two companies could use the same chemical mix in a product. One company elects to put a minimal health warning on the label so they can sell more product. Another company might put a scarier health warning on their label to cover their asses legally. Same product, same toxicity (or lack thereof), different label. My field is drug development, toxicity is a complicated topic. FWIW, I use common sense to limit my exposure, then I use whatever works best.