autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKees 37 Coating vs PBL Diamond Surface Coating vs PBL Diamond Paint Coating

So what is the major difference between Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating and McKees 37 Paint Coating? Seems they are very similar yet the McKees is about half the cost. I did read the PBL allegedly lasts up to 3 years vs 2 year for McKees.. but really don't expect that kind of duration from either one. Can you apply a wax over either one? Anyone used them both? Just wondering if the PBL is worth the extra cost... I'm kinda thinking not, but looking for some opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKees 37 Coating vs PBL Diamond Surface Coating vs PBL Diamond Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
    So what is the major difference between Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating and McKees 37 Paint Coating? Seems they are very similar yet the McKees is about half the cost. I did read the PBL allegedly lasts up to 3 years vs 2 year for McKees.. but really don't expect that kind of duration from either one. Can you apply a wax over either one? Anyone used them both? Just wondering if the PBL is worth the extra cost... I'm kinda thinking not, but looking for some opinions.
    i did my SUV half with M37 and half with PBL, the major difference i noticed is application, M37 was much easier the PBL, almost like a night and day difference. the spread, flash time and ease of buff were all different. as far as looks and durability so far they seem about the same, i really cant tell the differance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
    See my post on the first page

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1415946

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply... Any tips or insight you can give me for application of the 2 products? Which one had a longer flash time? Were high spots an issue the following day, and were they difficult to remove? I'm working on a black car, so there's not a lot of room for error.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used both. Application is the same. Both are easy to wipe off, no issues with high spots. Flash time was the same for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the McKee 37 to be shockingly easy to apply.

Last weekend I applied it to my daughter's car and found it easier and faster than waxing. High spots were very few and I could almost breath on them to make them go away...OK, a bit of a stretch, but lightly gliding a short nap MF towel removed any high spots. With temps in the 70's and high-ish humidy, the flash time was rather slow which made it very easy to work.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

For me I do this, I also apply it in direct sunlight in over 100 degree weather since I live in a desert

I apply 2 to 3 sprays to the pad and apply to the panel in the cross hatch pattern. I never spray the panel, I do small sections, almost every panel I break into no less then four sections but usually 6 sections. Wipe immediately after I cross hatch. I have black label booster so I don't worry about high spots really. I do the whole car and hen my final wipe is with the booster and it removes all high spots with one to 2 swipes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Got my shipment of goodies today and took advantage of the weather prior to more raining coming in later tonight to wash up the S4 and use both the McKee's Glass and McKee's Paint coatings. Here are my initial thoughts on each.
    [B]

McKee's Paint Coating:

I'm not sure why if it was the product, my paint or my technique or even the weather - warm but not too humid, but even spreading it on VERY thin, it wouldn't flash completely away but rather left some streaks or "high spots" that I had to buff away. I did one panel at a time and worked my way around the car. I did two complete coats and buffed off what I could then wiped it down with some Wolfgang Uber mixed up as detail spray which helped insure the surface was completely polished and all streaks or high spots were blended.
    I just experienced this my self using McKee's paint coating for the first time. Its my first time using a ceramic coating. I was surprised to see how much it streaked which I assume is due to me using too much product. The paint was squeaky clean as my coating applicator (also a Lake County applicator) was spotless after coating the entire coat.

That being said, even with buffing with several brand new 480gsm towels I can still see some traces of the coating. It's been about 1.5 hours and I have to leave for the night. I dont think I'm going to add a second coat, just yet, but I'm interested in what you were sayign about using a detail spray to remove the remaining streaks/high spots. Is that actually OK and if so, before or only after a full 12 hours of curing? I'd assume since the car isn't supposed to see rain for a week, that any additional sprays may hinder the coating process. However, I don't want the car to cure fully and not be able to remove these streaks, if that's even a real issue. If using a Wolfgang Uber mix or a detail spray is OK to get the rest of the coating streaks off then that would be awesome.

I put some serious heat into trying to buff off the streaks and while a lot of it did come out, I found myself out of gas trying to get all of them out lol.

Post Thanks / Like

i have half my car covered in M37 paint coating and the other half in PBL paint coating. im not sure where you got the 12 hr cure time from as its been said many times that the car can be driven as soon as your done with no worry of the coating being effected. i use the booster to even out the car after its been applied ive coated many clients cars and have had them come back multiple times for maintenance washes and the coat is still like the day it was applied.\

when applying i have found that spraying the pad twice and then wiping it onto the panel section works best and greatly reduces high spots

Post Thanks / Like

@Cruzcarwash. How many med. size sedans would you say you can coat with a 4oz. bottle of McKee's 37 Coating? And what kind of car wash soap do you use to wash your car after it's been coated?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast