autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

polishing pads/backing plate for B&D Cordless Drill

I was looking to do some small polishing jobs on my car (mostly light swirls removing) I got a Black and Decker 18v Cordless drill and was looking for a relatively large 5-6" Back plate and the right pads for swirl removing, possibly light scratches for future use, can someone point those out for me to help me chose ??...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: polishing pads/backing plate for B&D Cordless Drill

don't know if they even make one (for a drill) but a 5" backing plate (and pads) seems a little too big and the performance wouldn't be very good for that reason. why not use a DA and use the drill with 3" pads (if needed)?

Lake Country 3 Inch Drill Backing Plate

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Visitor,plus it'll be safer. My neighbor has the Meguiars drill da system and it's very awkward to use and stalls easily because of the high center of gravity.

Post Thanks / Like

I used one of these with my cordless drill to get into some tight spots on my front bumper. I used a 3" pad. I cannot imagine using it with a larger pad.

3 Inch Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate, da backing plate, random orbital backing plate

It was really awkward to use with a drill and being a noob, i ended up putting more swirls in then I removed. I ended up using my new Flex to correct it. YMMV, but it turns out that the Flex can get into some tight spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be easier and cheaper in the long run to purchase a Porter Cable kit. I have used a drill with a pin stripe remover to take emblem glue off. If your not careful you can dent the panel your buffing on and plus it will take forever to do an entire car. Just my thought

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot for all your advises, much appreciated, what polisher do you recommend for a beginner ? of course I don't want to end up buying several polishers too on the long run ! any thoughts are really appreciated... and what are the difference between polishers ?!..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aliitp View Post
    thanks a lot for all your advises, much appreciated, what polisher do you recommend for a beginner ? of course I don't want to end up buying several polishers too on the long run ! any thoughts are really appreciated... and what are the difference between polishers ?!..
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher FREE SHIPPING

you can use a variety of different size pads and backing plates as well. lots of power/torque, fantastic customer service, and excellent warranty...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher FREE SHIPPING

you can use a variety of different size pads and backing plates as well. lots of power/torque, fantastic customer service, and excellent warranty...
    Nailed it. I've had awesome results with my GG6 (My first machine). Had my first one for 8 years (I think?), then they replaced it with the current generation free under warranty when I had a quibble with it. Great machine and company to deal with.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a GG6 with 5" and 3.5" backing plate and only use a cordless drill with a 3" backing plate for those really tight spots like A-pillars or headlights.
    2002 Blazer Xtreme
    2008 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a weekend warrior on my own personal cars and I have to agree w the GG6. I absolutely love it. I have 4 different backing plates and haven't had an issue with any size yet. I, personally, prefer to leave the handle on as I feel I get better control over the machine. The handle on the GG6 was also the selling point for me over the PC. The PC has a stick handle as opposed to the GG6 D handle. Being a noob when I purchased it, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to control the pressure as easily with the PC. For example, the pressure would cause the pad to work crooked as opposed to flat on the paint.

However, you can see on the forum how popular the PC is so YMMV. This is just my personal experience.

Not sure if this makes any sense but hopefully it helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast