autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Headlight restoration completed, the PU coating is getting scratched easily! What else to do?

My Ford Fiesta is 6 years old. The headlight lens was quite yellowed due to UV damage. I removed the headlight myself and sanded it by hand (for hours!). There are only 2 brands of PU spar coatings here in India. I chose the cheaper one (Asian paints, quite decent quality). I took the headlights to a local spray shop and got it sprayed (mixed it myself on the spot, then gave it to him). I was careful about the ratio of thinner. The result was pretty good, the headlights look as good as new.

I let it dry/cure in direct sunlight for 2-3 days. It has been 15 days since then, but I am not putting the car cover back on (which is a necessity here due to dust and rains, I don't own a garage currently). When I tried rubbing the car cover LIGHTLY on the headlight, it got scratched easily! I just placed the cover on top of headlight and moved it up and down a little (simulating the movements of putting, removing and adjusting the cover repeatedly). Then I tested it with a dusty microfiber cloth (just for testing), even that results in scratches!
    For some reasons, the coating is too delicate. I can't leave it like this, I need to use car cover regularly.

I don't know what to do now. AFAIK I have two options:
    1. Go the the spray shop and get the automotive clear coat (2 -3 layers) on the headlight. I have no idea if it's scratch resistant or not.
    2. Put 100% transparent headlight film.

BTW I am unable to find 100% transparent films online, all of them are tinted/colored. Can I install the transparent films which are used for car windows instead? Will it need a hot gun to install on headlight and will it be safe for the coating?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight restoration completed, the PU coating is getting scratched easily! What else to do?

Spar is not a bad product, but the 2k(2 part) clear should be much more durable. The clear films, if you can find them are also very good too.

The only problem with the films is if you have a complex light that has lots of curves and different angles. Then a heat gun and experience will help.