autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bicycle detailing - 1985 Mongoose Expert

OK, so I have always had a soft spot for BMX bikes from the 80s, specifically old Mongoose looptails. When I was 8, I got a 1983 Mongoose Californian for Christmas, which I actually still own and ride from time to time. It's always been maintained, so I just hit it with some Collinite Metal Wax and she still shines like a champ.

After a Craiglist score, I recently acquired a mostly original 1985 Mongoose Expert that I want to clean up and give to my son. She is a bit pitted and rusty in some spots. If I have to strip the whole bike and send it to get rechromed, so be it, but I wanted to ask around here to see if there are any ways to potentially avoid that.

So far, I have attempted some Metal Wax and a terry towel, then some extra fine steel wool. It looks a little better, but figured I would ask around here to see what any of you may have done of if anyone has tackled a similar project.

I have read in some other vintage BMX forums that disassembly and soaking in a weak acid like citric acid, acetic acid or oxalic acid can help clean things up a bit.

What say you, purveyors of knowledge?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bicycle detailing - 1985 Mongoose Expert

Ahhhhhhh. Mongoose! I used to race BMX with a Hutch Pro Racer back in the day. I think you're on the right track. I would use the 0000 steel wool and lube it with a Meguiar's Chrome wheel cleaner. I transformed a 2006 Harley Road King with 0000 steel wool and a hydrochloric acid type product. Just watch it on bare/raw aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps not what you are looking for but I bought a 2016 Fit Bike Co Benny 2 and no longer miss the old geometry at all.

That said a soak will be ok but the pitting is a little concerning. BMX frames typically lead very hard lives and even something like a Mongoose Expert could very well have a compromised frame.

That said I "restored" a couple of garage sale tricycles for my kids and, to echo the statement above, used metal polish and 000 steel wool and then 0000.

Good luck and stay safe!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the old chrome Mongoose frames and forks from the 80s dis-colored and turn dull for some reason. The chrome was "different".

I have no idea how to fix it - or if it can be fixed.

Nice to see peeps preserving these old bikes. A lot of them were like works of art - especially the American built Hutchs'. These are getting big dollars these days - original USA Trickstar f & f are like $1500 on eBay. Back in the day - I had 2 of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Bicycle detailing - 1985 Mongoose Expert

Not great pics (found them on Google)... But this is what I'm talking about...

1980s Mongoose chrome:

vrs 1980 Hutch chrome:

So I'm wondering if the Mongoose was supposed to look "dull" or matte???

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck to ya. In 83 I was 7, but a Team Murray BMX was the most my parents wanted to do. Mongoose, Redline, and Hutch were the ones to have back then!

This fall I'm restoring my 88 Haro FST.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bicycle detailing - 1985 Mongoose Expert-1470692656844-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Wooo, memories! I was 8 in 1983 and I got my first Redline. I wanted it so bad I picked up dog crap for my neighbors for $$$ ( my mom took pitty on me and paid half, lol. Want to say it was a $150 bike back them? Can't remember really). I had 3 Redlines over the years. Wish I still had them. I had a sweet purple CW trick bike with the first gizmo (I'll remember it's name at 3am) that let you spin your handlebars. Good times.

I'd probably try cleaning your kids bike with my motorcycle supplies. NeverDull wading polish for starters

Good project. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanyonCarver View Post
    Wooo, memories! I was 8 in 1983 and I got my first Redline. I wanted it so bad I picked up dog crap for my neighbors for $$$ ( my mom took pitty on me and paid half, lol. Want to say it was a $150 bike back them? Can't remember really). I had 3 Redlines over the years. Wish I still had them. I had a sweet purple CW trick bike with the first gizmo (I'll remember it's name at 3am) that let you spin your handlebars. Good times.

I'd probably try cleaning your kids bike with my motorcycle supplies. NeverDull wading polish for starters

Good project. Good Luck!
    I was 13 in '83. The next year, in the summer of '84, I bought my Redline. $410. I remember because I paid every damn cent. Lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, it was super expensive. Sounds about right for my 'half'. It was my first bike store bike and mom said it was more than I needed, but if I wanted to work for it she'd help. There were some older kids in the neighborhood with hutch, mongoose, haro, but mine was the first redline and I got proper street cred, lol. It was the fastest bike in the neighborhood at the time!

I found the first trick bike handlebar spinning mechanism. The odyssey gyro- 1986. BMX | Odyssey | Gyros

Post Thanks / Like

My Redline brother!!!! Lol

Yup, the gyro on the gimbal that let the brake cable spin!!

Your mom was cool. Hard for an 8 year-old to earn $400. At 13 though, my mom was having me mow the neighbors' lawns, babysitting their kids, (damn brats!) and even changing the oil in her Monte Carlo.

Did all of that over the year, and got my damn Redline though!!!!!!! Lol

Still remember the serial # on the bottom of the crank housing by heart: 501688.

Yup, I'm a freak. Lmao

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast