autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bicycle detailing - 1985 Mongoose Expert

WOW! I had a Mongoose then Redline...thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in a sizable condominium complex (Indianapolis) with around 20-30 kids within 10 years of each other. We didn't really have access to any organized racing at that time but...

The older guys built a kick ass dirt track back in the woods with jumps, whoops, banked turns, even a creek crossing. They also 'appropriated' a retired fire hose from out back of the local FD and made an epic rope (with firehose!) swing out of a giant 60'+ oak swinging out over a creek from the high side. Epic times, lol. Epic injuries, lol!

Wish I had all my old skateboards from the era too. My first was a vision psycho stick!

So glad I grew up outside and active, without today's anti-activity technologies. Although a GoPro would have been awesome to document the epicness, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Bicycle detailing - 1985 Mongoose Expert

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Wow, I dont remember the year I bought it but it looks like Im the only GT guy here. All those names I havent thought of in years. Haro, Redline, Mongoose. lol
    I had a bunch. GT Pro Performer, 2 Trickstars, 2 Dynos, 1 Haro Team Sport, 1 Skyway Streatbeat, + a few I cant remember.

Never had a Redline. Never had a Mongoose.

All my money went to new stuff - sort of line detailing. At that time, the place we we order from was Rockville BMX.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damaged442 View Post
    OK, just read that some of the older Mongoose were nickel plated frames. Hence the different finish! Awesome!

I always wanted to get into racing and never did. I was always doing too much other stuff I guess. I still rode the snot out of that bike all over the street.
    Yes, I had (and have) a Mongoose Blue Max (sold @ military PXs) that came with a nickel finish. I believe there may be some Motomags that came with that finish as well. I have a Motomag I'm restoring (going to powdercoat) along with an early Expert with the embossed BMX logo on the head tube. I just need to find a deal on a gold neck.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, how many of you guys used to RELIGIOUSLY buy BMX Plus, pour over the entire magazine 25 times until the next edition came out, and read the cartoon "Radical Rick" in the back?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rajon View Post
    This thread is making me so happy. I have evolved and ride a current model and don't miss the geometry of the old bikes but man, the old ones are so beautiful.

There's a BMX shop in Clawson, MI called Albe's. They have a vintage BMX show every year and if you can find their facebook page they posted a ton of pictures. The bikes there were most definitely rad.
    I got a lot of accessories from Albe's! I got my Haro from Hellebucks in Shelby Twp (24 and Van Dyke).

I bought another trick bike about 10 years ago. My ex's little brother kind of neglected it. It's a Haro F4. I got that from the bike shop that used to be Scarlett Schwinn in Pontiac.

Yeah, I need to stop by Albe's one of these days!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bicycle detailing - 1985 Mongoose Expert-1470972526573-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FreshRides View Post
    Wow everyone use to race BMX! I am 24, I raced from 11-17 years old. Started out on a Redline and was co-sponsored by them as well.

I never kept them clean though because I was too lazy at that age. Haha. Wish I would have kept all my bikes I had!
    I'm 40 on monday, and was never any good at the tricks. I spent too much time on the drums to be good at anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Ok, how many of you guys used to RELIGIOUSLY buy BMX Plus, pour over the entire magazine 25 times until the next edition came out, and read the cartoon "Radical Rick" in the back?

Awh man! This is an extremely cool thread, I for one am guilty of RELIGIOUSLY buying BMX Plus . . . finally let go of a 5 foot stack of them earlier this year. Now you guys are making me want them back too . . .

Hey do you guys remember the "Kastan" it ran a single sided fork, I never saw one in the flesh but it was a nice looking bike.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    Awh man! This is an extremely cool thread, I for one am guilty of RELIGIOUSLY buying BMX Plus . . . finally let go of a 5 foot stack of them earlier this year. Now you guys are making me want them back too . . .

Hey do you guys remember the "Kastan" it ran a single sided fork, I never saw one in the flesh but it was a nice looking bike.

Aaryn NZ.
    Remember the Kastan with the single blade fork.

If I recall correctly, "Kastan" was Lynn Kastan - the dude who started Redline? Dunno if I remember that correctly though.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 1997(ish) mongoose motivator in matte blue. Wish i still had it!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast