autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating a white car - So hard to see if you got full coverage - When do you call it good?

So I finally got my car finished.... I think? My 2016 Summit White Camaro has a LOT of surface area, lol.

PBL Surface Coating

It was so hard to see where I had been exactly, unlike a wax, that I am wondering.... when do you say when?

Do I go over everything again just to be sure or call it good?

I had the garage door open, lights on, plenty of light. Still have to try and work at proper angles to see where I'd been, but it still flashes fairly fast. I probably used too much and did get good coverage, it's just so hard to tell.

It is VERY easy to wipe the high spots off, thankfully.

I wore gloves but kind of wish I'd worn a mask too. I found myself accidentally sticking my face to close trying to see.

It says it needs to cure for 12 hrs. How long before I can drive and risk getting bugs and everything?

Pics coming after cure!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating a white car - So hard to see if you got full coverage - When do you call it good?

Can't wait to see photos!!!

When I coated my white vehicle, I also had a hard time seeing where the coating has been applied. But even more so was trying to look for the high spots. After a week or so of coating the vehicle, I would see high spots here and there. But thankfully, it's not too obvious in white (why I couldn't see them in the first place during inspection LOL).

I think you're fine so long as you were methodical during your application. Like 50% overlaps and then criss-cross application.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating a white car - So hard to see if you got full coverage - When do you call it good?

Use an led flash light at different angles while wiping on, and to check for high spots

Post Thanks / Like

Before photos don't show much but here she is

Coating a white car - So hard to see if you got full coverage - When do you call it good?-wp_20160729_19_46_38_pro-jpgIt's been quite the process. The least of which being cleaning out my Dad's garage (I'm house sitting for the summer, you're welcome Dad) that has NEVER had four wheeled vehicle in it. 10yo house, lol. It was 105 that day and had to be 120+ in the attic.Coating a white car - So hard to see if you got full coverage - When do you call it good?-wp_20160729_14_39_57_pro-jpg

I had REALLY bad water spots and I had to use wolfgang swirl remover and LC CCS orange pads... and its still not perfect, but good enough for me to live with until I polish again.

I did some areas with the finish glaze but stopped because it and the swirl remover dusted terribly no matter what I did and it drove me nuts. And it didn't really improve the look much. White car and all.

I tried machine applying the PBL surface CLEANSING polish and that was a disaster. Dusted almost immediately. Hand applying was way more effective.

This was my first polisher experience and I enjoy the GG 6"

Now I'm eager to attack some cars with color/metal flake so I can actually see the results.... and maybe the coating when it goes on, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Use an led flash light at different angles while wiping on, and to check for high spots
    Yeah, did that. Even tried wearing my LED headlamp but that didn't help. Lol

Have you guys ever been able to see a spot you MISSED? Does it end up showing during a wash maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Those new Camaros look very nice! More pics please!

Sounds like you did a great job! And good organizing skills on the garage too.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

What Coating did you use? My '97 Tahoe is Summit White. It's recently been an SOB getting aftermarket touch up paint, had difficulty with Dr ColorChip, as well as others. They all were sending this "greyish" dull off color which was such a drastic mis-match.

From what I gathered, there are actually 2 different hue-color Summit Whites.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!!!

I haven't posted on a forum in ages. What am I doing wrong with adding pics? How do I get a bigger version?

Post Thanks / Like

I coated a silver 4 runner and white Honda Accord in one weekend about 3 weeks ago. Same problem. I could hardly see the coating in the lighting I had available. High spots were pretty noticeable but the initial application was difficult to see. The paint correction was definitely a pain. Washing the vehicles since then however, I'm pretty confident I applied it correctly. If in doubt, apply slightly more product to the applicator(not so much that you're wasting product) and just use a cross hatch pattern over the panel several times assuring complete, even coverage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    What Coating did you use? My '97 Tahoe is Summit White. It's recently been an SOB getting aftermarket touch up paint, had difficulty with Dr ColorChip, as well as others. They all were sending this "greyish" dull off color which was such a drastic mis-match.

From what I gathered, there are actually 2 different hue-color Summit Whites.
    I used Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating

Oh really? I already have many rock chips. I drive a LOT 13700 miles and I drove her home 3/10/2016 with 6 miles. The paint quality and clear coat is horrible on these cars. I forget instantly with a press of the right foot though. Lol

I had planned on getting a paint pen or whatever next time I am at the stealership. Thanks for the heads up on color matching

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast