autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you recommend to friends for car care?

I often get asked by friends, especially ones that have new cars,what I recommend to them to care for their cars. Usually, these are people who are not like us per say, they arent crazy. They just want to keep their cars looking good with minimal fuss.

Here is sorta my go to easy peasy lemon squeezy car care recommendations. I go right to Hydro2. Its such a foreign concept for non enthusiasts and enthusiasts alike, but it truly is the easiest form of protection and I know the people who are asking me usually want easy! I then add to my recommendation Carpro Reset Car wash soap to compliment the Hydro2 (although any good soap will do). I throw in some wheel woolies, a good microfiber sponge / mitt, and good microfiber drying towel. For the inside, I recommend Ultima Interior Guard Plus. Done.

If they are a little more into their cars and ask for more specific products, of course I recommend whatever they are after...but for the basics for someone just wanting to do the basics..what do you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you recommend to friends for car care?

My recommendations are similar as far as tools.........except I recommend Meguiars stuff..Cleaner Wax, Natural Shine and gold Class Wash..it's economical, available and simple to use. For years, their standard Cleaner Wax was all I used.

Post Thanks / Like

For simplicity's sake...
    I suggest that they use:
    •car-wash shampoos
    •microfiber products
    •cleaner-waxes
    (Note: product samples are available)

For those wanting to delve deeper:
    •provide links to:
    -Mike Phillips' books, articles, etc.
    -AGO's online store

Anymore than that, and I
    will point out the following:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I had a coworker get a new car, and he asked me advice, and I pointed out how he never washed his old car, and that he would quickly tire of whatever I suggested. He somehow found some guy close to him in some sort of detailing shop (I think a spare bay at a tire place or something) to hand wash the car for $15, so it all worked out in the end.

However, now that HydrO2 is available, and even better, HydrO2Foam, those are great suggestions for people who are actually (occasional) car washers.

Post Thanks / Like

I find most people that ask me how to maintain their cars want the look and protection of a corrected car with a coating installed but then back away when you tell them what needs to be done, whether you do it yourself or have a professional do it. I find too many people I know just basically insists that automatic brush car washes don't put in swirls cause it wouldn't make sense. For them, swirls just come in over time and that's it. Or they want something that's essentially impossible. I I had a guy I know ask me what wax can he out on so he never has to wash his car again or what wax will protect against scratches. When I tell him no wax does that, he just asked me are you sure? Cause nu finish can do that. I can't say I really bother most of the time, I just direct them to an otc automotive store here and tell them to wash the car and keep a wax on it. That's all most people I know want to hear. If I recommend something like hydrofoam or hydro2, now they balk at having to purchase something online. Or they think it's a less reliable product because you can't walk into a store and get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    My recommendations are similar as far as tools.........except I recommend Meguiars stuff..Cleaner Wax, Natural Shine and gold Class Wash..it's economical, available and simple to use. For years, their standard Cleaner Wax was all I used.
    Same here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

ONR and Quality Microfiber.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    If I recommend something like hydrofoam or hydro2, now they balk at having to purchase something online. Or they think it's a less reliable product because you can't walk into a store and get it.
    Well, I guess my friends respect my opinion enough, and know I know enough about these products to actually follow through with my recommendations. Most of my friends also have their own unique interests and understand the best products are usually not in stores and only online. I guess it also depends on the person, I suppose my recommendations are taylored to the audience.

Good responses.

Post Thanks / Like

On my Jeeps I only use Stoner Car Care products. Invisible Glass rocks! Trim shine is the best and their Speed Bead detailer is the easiest to wipe on/off in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I just stick to OTC products when asked, most that usually ask me want to do a quick wash and wax and that's about all. For a wash product I recommend Meg's Ultimate Wash and Wax, and for a wax product I tell them Meg's 26. Both are available at the local Autozone, so it's easily gotten. That said, I have had a couple people tell me that 26 was too expensive for them... until I give them a sample to use, then they don't mind paying.
    Street/Racing Concepts
    '02 Mercedes SLK32 AMG, '05 Mercedes SL65 AMG, '02 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2- All Silver!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast