autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE ESSENCE - what is the most aggressive step I can use before it?

I virtually always use Essence for standard AIO detail jobs now, unless they're just selling the car, then it's a waste. It always works well for incredible gloss, even with one slow pass for coverage and light defect removal. I always use the CarPro Gloss pad to ensure there is no micro-marring, and to keep it simple.

I've used as aggressive as Megs D300 and a Megs microfiber cutting pad and followed with Essence, using multiple slow passes to make sure I removed the compound haze. I'm not sure if this will work on every paint, nor am I sure that Essence isn't just filling the compound haze.

I have used Megs M205 with either a Megs MF finishing pad or foam polishing pad, which has decent cut on a Rupes, but not enough for the more swirled vehicles. But, I know I can easily finish with a single pass of Essence and not worry about micro-marring from M205. M205 with a polishing pad doesn't leave much micro-marring, if any, and the MF pad often does.

I'm almost always using a Rupes Big Foot 21mm. I also have a Makita rotary and a few other DAs.

I currently own these compounds: M105, D300, FG400
    I currently own these pads: both Megs MF (including the thin extra cut), Megs yellow polishing (thin), CarPro Gloss

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I LOVE ESSENCE - what is the most aggressive step I can use before it?

Essence will clean up after the compounds you have, it doesn't have enough cut to clean up after SHC300 though where SF4000 can.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Essence with a white LC pro thin pad after boss fast correcting cream and a microfiber cutting pad. Using my g21.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Is essence more difficult to remove from polishing pads than the standard compound/polish residue?

Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine it wouldn't clean up after a compound with Megs double-sided twisted wool pad. I use that on jobs with heavier swirls, especially if it went through a brush wash a lot and if I'm trying to get it nearly defect-free for a coating job. If I use this step to start, I usually follow with D300 and Megs MF 5" cutting pad with a Griots DA so I can get up to edges more easily take care of the wool pad swirls.

When starting with a compound, how many passes do you do and at what speed? The instructional video I watched for Essence shows one overlapping section pass but very slow. I use that process for an AIO job or if I polished with M205 first, as I'm just trying to clear any micro-marring. When I followed a compound, I did a couple extra passes a little faster just in case I wasn't cleaning up with the first pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    Is essence more difficult to remove from polishing pads than the standard compound/polish residue?

I throw them in the wash right after using and don't let it dry in there. If if I can't run the wash load right away, I either throw it in a bucket with water and APC, or I start the washer filling with detergent and just don't let it go into its agitating cycle until I get all the towels and pads I used. That seems to work fine, and worth the hassle for the amazing gloss and protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnoraker View Post
    I throw them in the wash right after using and don't let it dry in there. If if I can't run the wash load right away, I either throw it in a bucket with water and APC, or I start the washer filling with detergent and just don't let it go into its agitating cycle until I get all the towels and pads I used. That seems to work fine, and worth the hassle for the amazing gloss and protection.
    Thanks dnoraker!

I do the same for regular polishing - throw a gunk up pad into a bucket of water with APC (or pad detergent). Essence will work well for me

Post Thanks / Like

You should be fine following up most compounds used with a MF or foam pad on the Rupes as long as you're work it long enough. If you step up to wool on the rotary I would do and intermediate step.

If I use Essence on a Finest coating job I always finish it down first, then Essence more as a primer.

I did a quickie on my truck about 8 months ago with Essence and a MF pad, which should leave DA haze in the paint and it hasn't start showing through yet, which is impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    You should be fine following up most compounds used with a MF or foam pad on the Rupes as long as you're work it long enough. If you step up to wool on the rotary I would do and intermediate step.

If I use Essence on a Finest coating job I always finish it down first, then Essence more as a primer.

I did a quickie on my truck about 8 months ago with Essence and a MF pad, which should leave DA haze in the paint and it hasn't start showing through yet, which is impressive.
    Sounds good.

I also have finished it down with M205 on either a mf or foam pad when I'm going to coat, and used the Essence as a primer. Just one slow section pass. I'm hoping to get the final coat of CQ on the Burb today and get the minivan done this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice info presented here. I just got mine today. I was thinking using it as a topper or coating and sealant primer, since it is so expensive.
    Best regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast