autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings: Spray on vs. Brush on

I decided to create this thread to jump start some conversation about the merits of the different types of coatings, particularly how the varieties that you spray on compare to the varieties that you use a foam block/dropper only to put on your car.

Spray varieties would include:
    1. McKee's
    2. Pinnacle Black Label
    3. Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Hybrid
    4. DG Nanoglass (looks like a spray bottle)
    5. Others not mentioned

Drop & spread varieties would include:
    1. Blackfire
    2. Gtechniq C1, CSL and EXO
    3. CarPro UK, Finest
    4. Optimum
    5. Wolfgang
    6. Others not mentioned specifically

I believe many of us know that some brands are repackaged versions of other brands and even in a specific line, a version designed for, say wheels, is really the same substance designed for paint. Some brands (e.g., Wolfgang) state that their product can be used on all surfaces (paint, glass, trim, etc.).

The factors that make me reach for a coating as opposed to a sealant or wax include the following:
    1. Durability
    2. Hydrophobicity (beading & sheeting - I'd prefer sheeting over beading)
    3. Gloss
    4. UV protection
    5. Physical protection.

I think it may go without saying that something like Modesta and even Finest, which have each a few microns of thickness, most of the consumer lines of coatings are pretty thin -- thicker than waxes and sealants, but still pretty thin.

Some of these products are easier to apply than others. McKee's and PBL (I've used PBL) are incredibly easy to apply and buff away. Applying Gtechniq C1 and EXO requires attention to temp, humidity, timing, etc. and people still get streaking. But if done properly, the C1/EXO combo offers great durability, hydrophobicity, gloss and protection.

Many of these claim 18m to 3 years of durability, comparable hydrophobicity and gloss, so my ultimate question is: why wouldn't you reach for a spray bottle version of a coating? I began to think this the other week when I was leveling a high spot with CarPro Essence and then reapplying a bottled/dropper coating. Now with the market beginning to sell things like Hydrofoam, HydrO2, Polish Angel Viking Spritz, Sonax Rim Shield and other varieties not sold through PBMC, I'm beginning to think the ease of application of many of these products -- and their abilities to be reapplied -- is starting to make sense over the more labor intensive coatings.

Thoughts?

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coatings: Spray on vs. Brush on

I've tried a couple of coatings in each "category". I've not been detailing as long as others, but I do a lot of production detailing. I choose the spray and drop & spread types, for the ease of use. Maybe if I was doing high end cars I would go with the harder ones, but more than likely not. Like you said, "why wouldn't you reach for a spray bottle version of a coating?"
    MK7 GTI (stage 3-500whp) / Audi B8.5 S4 (dual pulley-430awhp) / Mercedes C43 AMG (JB4-380awhp)

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on the environment and accessibility. I'm from Canada so I have easier access to car pro and optimum products so I chose cquartz uk. I'd like to try the pinnacle series or the Wolfgang series but it's hard to find the entire line up in stock. Like the coating and the polishes for it, even though there are a lot of authorized distributors here that I use. For me though, I chose cquartz because it's not a spray kind. I didn't want to toss away each microfiber and applicator after an application so with cquartz, I just toss away the little suede applicator wraps but my applicator is still fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    I think it depends on the environment and accessibility. I'm from Canada so I have easier access to car pro and optimum products so I chose cquartz uk. I'd like to try the pinnacle series or the Wolfgang series but it's hard to find the entire line up in stock. Like the coating and the polishes for it, even though there are a lot of authorized distributors here that I use. For me though, I chose cquartz because it's not a spray kind. I didn't want to toss away each microfiber and applicator after an application so with cquartz, I just toss away the little suede applicator wraps but my applicator is still fine.Did you mean your knock down towel/buffing towel? I never try to wash the applicator. BTW are you using a mf towel or a suede towel for a final wipe?

Post Thanks / Like

For my cars I prefer the coatings as I wash and maintain them frequently. On friends and family cars that I've coated it isn't worth going thru that again as the vehicles have not been maintained and the coatings have lost the hydrophobic and self cleaning properties. I'm not in this for a living and the explanation of coatings is complicated. It makes sense to me that if you decontaminate and do a paint correction to follow up with the coating as the benefits are great but products like Hydo2 and Foam are really great. These products are super easy to use and work well with minimum steps

Post Thanks / Like

I mean with something like pbl coating, you have to toss the applicator after. Cquartz uk, I just keep the same applicator bur different suede towels to wrap around it. The knock down towels, I just use plain microfiber but I use three per panel. Just to make sure basically. I started doing it actually after a video on YouTube from one of the classes that Mike Philips does and they had gtechniq lead trainer there who called the three towels his insurance policy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    I mean with something like pbl coating, you have to toss the applicator after. Cquartz uk, I just keep the same applicator bur different suede towels to wrap around it. The knock down towels, I just use plain microfiber but I use three per panel.Three towels per panel seems excessive to me. Just to make sure basically. I started doing it actually after a video on YouTube from one of the classes that Mike Philips does and they had gtechniq lead trainer there who called the three towels his insurance policy.

Post Thanks / Like

Good discussion, guys.

I'm still a fan of the coatings that use the dropper and the suede block to spread the coating material. Next up is Wolfgang for me, and then I have a car lined up with McKee's, so we shall see...Not getting rid of my HydrO2, Viking Spritz or some of my other short duration spray coatings.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat