autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it okay to use glaze before coating?

Quote Originally Posted by mssoll View Post
    Would this also be true for Wolfgang Finishing Glaze? I plan on applying Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating. The review & how to article recommends use of the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze before the perfect finish paint prep and coating application. I realize the paint prep is intended to remove the oils but wanted to make sure the Wolfgang glaze wont interfere with the coatings bond.
    No, not true of Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Although it has the word "glaze" in the product name, it is a fine polish and is perfectly compatible with their Uber ceramic coating (if used before the perfect finish paint prep as you stated)
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    No, not true of Wolfgang Finishing Glaze. Although it has the word "glaze" in the product name, it is a fine polish and is perfectly compatible with their Uber ceramic coating (if used before the perfect finish paint prep as you stated)
    Thats one thing confuses me, seems like every manufacture have different meaning of "glaze"

For me glaze is final polishing with fillers to hide minor imperfection before LSP.

Btw I got new question,

Can I apply 2nd coat of same coating system after lets say 1 day, or week on top of existing coat?
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

A glaze really should have non-volatile oils in it and it should very intentionally leave something behind. If it has abrasives, it would certainly also be a polish. It could have wax or polymers, in which case it could then be a sealant/wax. If it has multiples of these things, it could be an all in one.

If wolfgang finishing glaze is simply a fine polish, one wonders why the heck they called it a glaze! Being quite honest, I think, irrelevant of what a manufacturer tells you, I would not be using a product they class as a 'glaze' in an application where you can afford zero residues - it would simply be madness to risk putting an expensive coating on top of a product where the manufacturer uses a name which seems to contradict what it actually is!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Just a word of warning using a non-CarPro coating over Essence--Optimum, for instance, states unequivocally (well, at least in a forum response) that Essence is incompatible with Optimum coatings. Don't know what Gtechniq says.
    Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
    I'm not sure that the forum membership shares that (incompatibility) view--I'm pretty sure someone used Essence and followed with OPT Gloss-Coat, not sure what the long term results of that were, but maybe I'm hallucinating and it never happened.

EDIT: Oh wait, here's a thread from last year: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...o-coating.html I didn't read the whole thing but I did look on the OPT forum and Chris@Optimum said in response to a question about using Essence under an Optimum coating "Not compatible with our coatings." That thread I linked did have some pretty interesting stuff on the first page including Zach saying he had been experimenting with NOT doing scrupulous cleaning before coatings and found it didn't make much difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12