autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to remove bake tree sap

Hi guys I need help on how to remove tree sap

I wash my friends car but the hood was cover in tree sap. I try the least aggresive method to remove it.

I use bug sponge and bug remover.
    Wolfgang prep (I know it has a diluted alcohol). I gave up and use straight alcohol 70%
    I know using straight alcohol is bad, but I just got frustrated.

Whats the best and safes way to remove it. I don't remove all the tree sap. Ran out of time and it was a courtesy wash for helping me with something.

I did a proper wash not a quick one

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove bake tree sap

I just used alcohol yesterday to get some off my dad's truck. I don't think it's all that bad. It evaporates very fast. I think the "problem" with using alcohol is if you are rubbing with it because it's not a good lubricant. I actually used cotton facial pads soaked in alcohol that my girl keeps in a glass jar in the bathroom. The whole thing stays wet and didn't need any pressure at all. 4 or 5 light passes over the soap is all it took. I basically did it over the whole hood (changing pads of course) because the sap was sprinkled EVERYWHERE. Polished it up with WG finishing glaze and cleaned the whole truck with perfekt finish and then Uber ceramic coating. The alcohol did absolutely no harm. Before that I tried bug and tar remover, automotive goo gone, and even used my Dupray Hill Injection steam cleaner with boiling water injection. The steam cleaner did melt the sap, but didn't take it off. With a combination of soaking the goo gone AND the steam cleaner i was able to get most of a spot out, but you could still see some of the residue. Then throw in the fact that it was taking some time for each spot and there were probably at least 50 spots. The alcohol took just a few seconds to get each spot up, and I could do multiple in an area at one instead of pin pointing every single one.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok thanks for the info. A friend of mine said he use hand sanitizer but the gel version. It stays long and doesn't evaporate like the liquid.
    Have you ever try this?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I always see this topic of tree sap removal.The best way to remove is apply a small dab of lacquer thinner.Use a non abrading cloth,pour a little on a microfiber and one or two passes it's gone with no pressure or rubbing.Do not use lacquer thinner on single stage paint or any kind of plastics or trim or painted pinstripes.may apply some wax or sealant to protect the sap mark removal area.you will not induce any kind of damage to paint at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking about factory paint here--I know Mike Phillips recommends against it, but I always use straight IPA when I use it. And as GSKR notes, I also use lacquer thinner, usually when I'm trying to remove touchup paint that I'm unhappy with--and that's with exposed edges of the factory paint system.

I haven't had to deal with hardened sap for a long time, but I think mineral spirits might be the first thing I'd try on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. It's become my go-to sap dissolver. A little light rubbing with a finger dissolves even the big globs while the lubricants (glycerin, I think) help prevent marring. Obviously, it's removing LSP, but so will any other solvent strong enough to remove the sap. If it's designed for hand cleaning, it certainly can't be too bad on paint.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Speaking about factory paint here--I know Mike Phillips recommends against it, but I always use straight IPA when I use it. And as GSKR notes, I also use lacquer thinner, usually when I'm trying to remove touchup paint that I'm unhappy with--and that's with exposed edges of the factory paint system.

I haven't had to deal with hardened sap for a long time, but I think mineral spirits might be the first thing I'd try on that.
    sounds scary but so effective and quick,by the time you say your first name along with a swipe gone.Been using this for a long time and I don't reach for any other time consuming remedies.Try it you will like it.just use common sense and stay on the paint only and no front windshields .I know you have common sense but speaking more to members who are new at this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    sounds scary but so effective and quick,by the time you say your first name along with a swipe gone.Been using this for a long time and I don't reach for any other time consuming remedies.Try it you will like it.just use common sense and stay on the paint only and no front windshields .I know you have common sense but speaking more to members who are new at this.
    is holmdel central or south jersey 117 of the garden state?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    is holmdel central or south jersey 117 of the garden state?
    LOL wrong thread I think...

Post Thanks / Like

K thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast