autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Help, How to Detail this Motorcycle

Hey guys,

I have a customer who wants a motorcycle like this detailed. Never did a motorcycle so I have no clue. Can I use my regular AIO cleaner wax?

Also, how do I polish and shine the chrome? Can I use my Porter Cable 7424 or Flex 3401 to polish it? What chrome polish should i use? I need something that maybe Wal Mart sells for decent chrome polish. Any help would be great.

Here is a picture of a similar motorcycle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help, How to Detail this Motorcycle-1468382161262-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Help, How to Detail this Motorcycle

Harley Dyna Wide Glide. You could use a 3" or 4" pad. I've had Harleys for 17 years and I've never touched mine with a polisher. I've just done them by hand. The only semi dangerous part would be chemicals on raw aluminum which I don't see any. Chrome polish and definitely some 0000 steel wool on any light rust or pitting. Don't pressure wash and keep water away from the underseat area and the wheel hubs. On all the black wrinkle motor, use a silicone spray after it is cleaned.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice bike for sure. Love the Thunder header pipe. As mentioned above the smaller pads work great. Yes be careful with the chemicals you use on the bare metal and any powder coated surfaces you could stain them. S100 cycle wash really does a nice job for all surfaces.
    IDA-CD
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Like WaxMaster1, I have two Harley's (hence 2black1s) and I too have always polished them by hand. There's just so many inaccessible areas that a fair amount of hand polishing will be required even if you use a polisher where you can. Harley's clear coat is very soft so correction is fairly easy and lends itself well to hand polishing.

WaxMaster1 also gives good advice on the cautions when washing.

I'd be very careful though using 0000 steel wool on the chrome. In fact I wouldn't use it at all unless the chrome is in really bad condition. If the chrome is in good condition, other than being dirty, a cleaner wax is a good alternative to chrome polish. I have never been sold on "chrome polishes".

If you polish the edges of the engine fins, use extreme care to keep the polish off the black portions. It's a nightmare to clean residual polish from those areas.

On the wrinkle black engine surfaces I use S100 Engine Brightener.

Also, the S100 Cycle Cleaner mentioned does work pretty good. I've used it but not regularly primarily because of the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't use any dressing on the tires. Even if you think you can keep it on the sidewalls, it can still creep up and over onto the tread and cause an accident.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

You can use something on the tires as long as it is a product that dries and won't creep. I use Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic and Trim Restorer on mine... The non-aerosol version.

I use the same thing on my truck tires. It outlasts conventional tire dressings many times over.