autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ONR quesrions

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ONR quesrions

Does anyone use the worm like microfiber wash mitt? I plan on use microfiber towels but I also seen mike Phillips use a wash mitt on compition ready I'm just wondering what would be better to use i have plenty of gold plush and plenty of the worm like microfiber wash mitt. Sorry about all the questions but this is so much different than what I am used to.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use ONR for:

A drying aid fine misted from a pump sprayer with numerous plush MF drying towels... good control of the MF's is the key here to pevent marking.. 4 folds and very regular turning...

As a spray detailer for very light dust removal.. here I do mist the MF too with a new face, and again turn regularly and use lots of MF's

As a clay lube... this is far less often though as once the cars are clayed, corrected polished and sealed the weekly washing and wax / sealant top up really slows debris build up...

For weekly washing I either go touchless (foam, jet wash and leaf blower) or if heavier dirt / film then Foam rinse foam wash mitt... (means only one bucket..)..

I personally won't try and achieve heavy cleaning with ONR with or without water.... we have no water use constraints in place ATM and with the current weather none in the forseeable..

Post Thanks / Like

I use ONRW&W with the Cobra Plush Microfiber Towels, and occasionally a Wash Mitt on the lower panels, followed by a Waffle Weave Guzzler towel.

I have had great results with this method. I rarely break out the Power Washer anymore and wash my truck the "old way" anymore, unless I am doing wheels or the truck is extremely dirty.

I will say I tried using Opti-Seal as a drying aid this weekend, and the results are incredible!!! I just sprayed one spray in the center of each panel before drying and it really looks slick!

I'm a big fan of Optimum products and have had excellent l luck with them! You can't go wrong with Optimum IMO...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrav View Post
    Does anyone use the worm like microfiber wash mitt? I plan on use microfiber towels but I also seen mike Phillips use a wash mitt on compition ready I'm just wondering what would be better to use i have plenty of gold plush and plenty of the worm like microfiber wash mitt. Sorry about all the questions but this is so much different than what I am used to.
    Yep.. i use them with a foam cannon.. do a foam and rinse as normal (get the worst off and wash the wheels with woolies..), then foam again and use the mitt with a rinsing bucket.... practically no load on the mitt.. small area, flip repeat then rinse etc.. have a spare in case it goes on the floor.. if so its chucked in the washing machine... elimintes the need to try and rinse it effectively and likely fail...

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I will be receiving my order Thursday. I am finally confident in the product and I am ready to use it. Thanks a lot for the good info everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    I bought 2 gallons 2 years ago.
    It is good stuff. One thing I learned is to do a section at a time and dry.
    It gets somewhat stubborn removing the residue if it dries.
    This!! It was 120 this past weekend so I used ONR on two panels at a time and not one...Used the pump sprayer and sprayed heavily before going over with the towel. Not only the residue, but I had what looked like water spots and thousands of them in the spots where the ONR solution formed as drops as it came out the sprayer. I wish I knew how to avoid that - Even on single panels I sometimes notice it. Maybe panels are hot? I'll never know.

However, the spots are noticeable ONLY when doing the wipe with the wet towel from the ONR bucket.

While drying using D156 as a drying aid, those spots are not visible anymore

Post Thanks / Like

ONR quesrions

Avoid the water spots by making your solution with de-mineralized water. This is my mobile wash go to. A lot of these washes are completed in direct sunlight. I just do smaller sections when I'm not in the shade. This is also the only way i wash my own car. In FL the sun is awful so I love being able to do it in my garage. I see the same cars once a month and do this wash. I typically upgrade them once a year to a clay and machine application of sealant. There is never any marring so bad that it doesn't disappear after the application.
    My video
    https://youtu.be/6FVxZ8llvps

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think ONR or any other solution out there which demands scrubbing a sponge, micro fibers or whatever over the paint is considered safe, at some stage, or if you do it wrongly you will scratch your paint !..

I am planning from now on to wash my car myself with water pressure and possibly snow foaming (since i got coating installed professionally for me) then I will use ONR as a waterless/drying aid ONLY after this to dry the car and minimize scratches and swirls, i really never trusted the standard sponge or ONR announces the use of the Big Red Sponge to wipe off dirt and filth of your car paint, you WILL be dragging that dirt across your paint and WILL cause some sort of scratches I believe...

good luck,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aliitp View Post
    I don't think ONR or any other solution out there which demands scrubbing a sponge, micro fibers or whatever over the paint is considered safe, at some stage, or if you do it wrongly you will scratch your paint !..

I am planning from now on to wash my car myself with water pressure and possibly snow foaming (since i got coating installed professionally for me) then I will use ONR as a waterless/drying aid ONLY after this to dry the car and minimize scratches and swirls, i really never trusted the standard sponge or ONR announces the use of the Big Red Sponge to wipe off dirt and filth of your car paint, you WILL be dragging that dirt across your paint and WILL cause some sort of scratches I believe...

good luck,
    While that is true, Rinsless washes are even safer than a traditional 2 bucket wash if done correctly.

I use a total of 12 towels to do my rinsless wash 10 in the solution bucket and 2 drying towels. This way, once a towel side has touched a dirty panel it never touches the paint again. This is in comparison to the two bucket wash method which would require you to use a grit guard - while safe, its still not as safe as multiple towels when using rinseless.

Look up the Gary Dean method of rinseless washes.

I was so skeptical of trying rinseless washes - but since I started a month ago, this is all I do. Call me converted. Plus, you dont need to drag out a hose, pressure washers, buckets etc. One bucket filled halfway (2gallons) with you towels is all you need I save the pressure washer etc. for once a month deep cleans only.

P.S. If you scrub the paint with your wash media as you describe - its already a stupid move. All you do is a light pass with the media - Never scrub.....I completely agree with the big red sponge method being a little unsafe as the same sponge is reintroduced to the paint. However, using multiple plush towels loaded with solution will not cause a problem. All you do is one LIGHT pass (not SCRUB) - the solution traps the dirt and lifts it. Your towel picks it up. You then turn over to a fresh side and continue. In my one month of doing this - I have not noticed even a single hairline scratch on my soft Honda paint. Do it right, and you can go a long long time without any swirls and scratches

As stated before, foaming or pressure washing will release loose dirt. It will not touch the embedded dirt that has attached itself to your paint. Some form of agitation with a lubricated solution is needed. Then you can follow with ONR as a drying aid.

Your steps are missing a crucial step (bold and underlined ^ )

Therefore: I still find your method will cause swirls. Just my opinion but you wont know till you try lol.

I would suggest multiple towels if you plan on using waterless wash. This is the only way you can minimize scratches and swirls. Mist your panel and wipe, and then turn over to a fresh side. Never touch the paint with a side that has been used to wipe the dirty paint. Using this method with your pressure rinse and foam will yield far better results

Post Thanks / Like

No rinse means when your done. IF the car is dirty always rinse it first....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.