autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

HD Speed - wrong pad choice or bad technique?

I'm a newbie to machine polishing. Well sorta. It's been many years since I've used my Meguiars G100 machine and I only used it one other time.

After watching many polishing videos I decided to lightly polish the wife's 15 Dodge GC using HD Speed. I used a LC CCS 5.5" orange pad. Added 5 dime sized dots. Kissed the paint. Spread the product on 2 setting and bumped up to 6 with slow passes.

Here is the issue I ran into...

Despite my attempts at trying NOT to over saturate the pad it ended happening anyway and it appears to have started gumming up. I had to clean the pad with air and a towel before every section I did. Is that normal?

Here is the pad after working a section with 4 passes. Small pea sized dots (5). I had just cleaned the pad prior to...

What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HD Speed - wrong pad choice or bad technique?-1468259752544-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Speed - wrong pad choice or bad technique?

Where are you located (weather related question)?
    What were the temps while working?
    Were you under shade or direct sunlight?
    How many pads did you use?

Typically I use 6 pads for paint correction
    4 for polish
    1 or 2 for applying LSP.

HD Speed and or any compound/polish will start acting flaky when temps start approaching 88 and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Had the same thing happen to me last week. It was hot and humid. Even though I was in an air conditioned garage, the product was all but impossible to get off. I switched to Essence and CarPro Gloss Pads. I had no problem once I switched. I have done probably 20 cars with Speed and never had it behave like it did last week.
    2009 Volvo S60 2.5T Black 2011 Mini Countryman Oxford Green Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    Where are you located (weather related question)?
    What were the temps while working?
    Were you under shade or direct sunlight?
    How many pads did you use?

Typically I use 6 pads for paint correction
    4 for polish
    1 or 2 for applying LSP.

HD Speed and or any compound/polish will start acting flaky when temps start approaching 88 and beyond.
    Chicagoland
    Working in a ventilated garage.
    Was 75-78 degrees and humid.
    I used this one pad for the entire vehicle.

I didn't realize you needed to change pads as often as that? I thought that if you constantly cleaned the pad you can use the same one for the job.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same number of pads as paul_g and clean them on the fly after every 2 sections-- haven't had any problems with Speed in hot weather. Here's an article buy Mike Phillips regarding the number of pads to use per step and why: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-my-car.html

Surprised you didn't melt the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Speed a ton of times and never seen that. I believe that your problem is using only the one pad. Keep in mind, after you do a section pass, you have spent product residue as well as removed paint that gets into the pad. Cleaning on the fly with a towel can only get so much of that out. I usually rotate through 6 pads when using Speed and sometimes even that gets iffy towards the end.

Also, speed 6 might be a bit fast for Speed. Try speed 4 and do 2-3 passes per section.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Chicagoland
    Working in a ventilated garage.
    Was 75-78 degrees and humid.
    I used this one pad for the entire vehicle.

I didn't realize you needed to change pads as often as that? I thought that if you constantly cleaned the pad you can use the same one for the job.
    So, essentially you answered you're own question w/out knowing it. Heat build up on a pad is insane. This is why Griot's engineered the entire BOSS system to work together, i.e. tool, pads, creams, etc.
    When I first tried to use a LC Hydrotech pad on my BOSS G15, after one body panel it flung the pad off the velcro.
    78 deg inside, + humidity + the temperature of your pad heating was enough to tip it over the edge of being effective and useful.

As Mike's article points out, pads become saturated and even cleaning on the fly (helps somewhat) but eventually the pad just becomes to saturated to even cut effectively. I change pads like crazy doing a car.
    The product & pad must work together.

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    I use the same number of pads as paul_g and clean them on the fly after every 2 sections-- haven't had any problems with Speed in hot weather. Here's an article buy Mike Phillips regarding the number of pads to use per step and why: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-my-car.html

Surprised you didn't melt the pad.

Great reply! That article is one of my all time favorites!

Post Thanks / Like

Five dime sized drops is a LOT of polish too.

From what I understand, four small dots is usually adequate to start, then three from then on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Five dime sized drops is a LOT of polish too.

From what I understand, four small dots is usually adequate to start, then three from then on.
    Wow just noticed the "five dime sized drops"--that is allot for any HD product. David Fermani recommends 5-6 PEA sized drops for the first section and then 3-4 PEA sized for each after that---it works for me. That amount of product with just one pad is a sure set up for failure. Pad must have saturated in no time.

Post Thanks / Like

Way too much product. Dime is too much. I use 5 pea sized in a star pattern. I hate those ccs pads, I'm a flat pad guy. Too much product builds up and gums up in the dimples on those pads. As others have noted, you need to switch pads out more often. Judging by the looks of that pad it's over saturated, been heated up and is starting to blow out based upon the way it looks all puffy.

One thing for sure with all HD Polishes, a little goes along way. Same as with HD Poxy Sealant. In most cases when their are issues with HD Polishes it's due to over usage of the products.

My number one rule when it comes to polishing, you can never have too many fresh pads.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast