autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield coating

I've had great luck with Aquapel, I applied it 6-months ago and it's still going strong! Was easy to apply too...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98LowRanger View Post
    CarPro FORTE, but CarPro Flyby30 (sold here) is also a great product.
    Another vote for FlyBy30 for 11 months it was going strong then it started degrading and water droplets and water from windshield wipers started etching into the glass, how much better FORTE is?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAMRebel View Post
    I've had great luck with Aquapel, I applied it 6-months ago and it's still going strong! Was easy to apply too...
    +1
    2016 TOYOTA TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD PACKAGE

Post Thanks / Like

So I bought the McKee's Coating Kit that came with the paint and glass coatings. It came with some other goodies like the paint prep but no glass restorer that it mentions in the directions. Would a good glass cleaning, clay, and followed by an IPA wipedown be a good alternative prep prior to McKee's glass coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pristine Image View Post
    So I bought the McKee's Coating Kit that came with the paint and glass coatings. It came with some other goodies like the paint prep but no glass restorer that it mentions in the directions. Would a good glass cleaning, clay, and followed by an IPA wipedown be a good alternative prep prior to McKee's glass coating?
    I use 3D Eraser gel with a magic eraser. takes just a minute or two. you'll feel the gel peeling off all the crude and previous coatings. Once you're down to virgin glass water will no longer bead or sheet off, it like sticks to it and coats it not wanting to move. Just goes to show how on even a newish car like my audi, etc. that the windshield is so porous and waiting to have it's pores filled with the coating. I did that and applied two coats of McKee's and it's amazingly smoooooooth.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some vids I did of mine. The 1st is with WG uber after I cleaned it with an IPA solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YNKmnIOExU

The 1st time I hit rain with the Uber on it I was simply amazed at how well it worked going through town at 30~40mph. The second time was after the WG glass cleaner which I believe leaves something after and had a negative affect. It wasn't drastic nut noticeable.

Here are a couple links I had taken earlier 1st was with Uber after a cleaning with Perfect Vision and the second is with Flyby Forte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBtEBdbxXXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYJbUqO8HIU

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pristine Image View Post
    I have basically the same question. Can I just clean, clay, IPA then seal?
    Is the McKee's 37 Coating Prep Polish safe to use on glass (DA or foam pad)?

Thanks in advance,
    Jim
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Vegas View Post
    I have basically the same question. Can I just clean, clay, IPA then seal?
    Sure you can. If the glass has some slight light water spotting, this is where the glass restorer comes into play of if someone chooses to deep clean the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Vegas View Post
    Is the McKee's 37 Coating Prep Polish safe to use on glass (DA or foam pad)?
    Yes it is. I've used it a few times with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Guz! Exactly what I needed to know.

"All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey there, my first post here!
    I have been researching a lot about glass and windshield coatings since my current ceramic coating provider offer one that lasts less than 6 months for windshields so that is a big problem when you have customers paying a lot for lasting protections so had the task to find other options. Here are the best consumer available options i have found:

PBL Diamong glass coating seems a good one and the fact that you can protect up to 50 windshields with just one bottle makes it very profitable, but is not an option for what i am looking for; i have been reading some reviews and some people stated lasting less than a few months because of the wipers usage.

Gtechniq G1 seems another good option they say it can last 20,000 km and up to 2 years, it is also applied as final glass coating by their authorized installers. I have found many comments of people using it for years but they say it last around one year or less and is not too easy for apply.

Cquartz FlyBy Forte seems to have the best performance on durability and hardness. Corey, from CarPro customer service, told me no coating last an entire 2 year period but they guarantee 1 to 2 year lasting. It is available on their webpage where it also says the coating is not affected by the wipers and it provides resistance to scratches and minor chips. As seen in the video, it has better hidrophobic properties than the WG Uber but of course is the more expensive one and you have to apply 3 layers on windshields but i think this is the winner for what i am looking for.

Another good option is Nanolex Ultra Glass Sealant, it is a german product that can last 30,000 km and up to 18 months, the water start rolling as low as 20 m/h, 5 ml is enough for a full averge windshield. The few comments i have found about it people say is the easiest one to apply (same as PBL Diamond Glass). With the 100 ml you are purchasing it for as low as $0.90 per ml but on their web page says it is out of stock, and that says something.

I have purchased most of the products and equipments i use from autogeek.com but it seems i need to go outside for this.

Happy purchase!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast