autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cquartz question(or coating in general)

CQUK was designed to apply in cold weather climates, and is very finicky. I taught myself to use it and if I didn't have much experience I would have fell flat on my face trying to figure it out. It's definitely not user friendly if you're a weekend warrior. I'm gonna try just regular CQ next.

Post Thanks / Like

The newest version of CQuartz is very easy to use if you know what you are doing. My best advice is to practice on one panel and inspect the coated finish with lots of different light sources to make sure you are leveling the product properly without leaving high-spots. I like to point all my LEDs away from the vehicle so the light bounces off the wall/ceiling and onto the panel. Ambient lighting shows high spots much better than direct lighting. Once you dial in a time-frame for leveling the coating you can just replicate that around the car and should be golden.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    autopia ships to Canada:

Shipping

These other links take you right to the product page at autopia.

50ml of Viking Coat could easily do 4-5 cars if applied properly via machine. I show that with my Rogue and my Rupes Mini on a blue pad. I didn't even dent my bottle.

The Esclate Lotion is for cleaning the paint. I'm not going to say either way whether it's crucial to VC working, I just figured for the price I'd do the 1-2 process.

Polish Angel Esclate Lotion 200 ml.

Polish Angel Viking Coat 50 ml.
    Thanks for the tip but with the weakness of the Canadian dollar and cutoms it will cost a fortune to have it ship here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    The newest version of CQuartz is very easy to use if you know what you are doing. My best advice is to practice on one panel and inspect the coated finish with lots of different light sources to make sure you are leveling the product properly without leaving high-spots. I like to point all my LEDs away from the vehicle so the light bounces off the wall/ceiling and onto the panel. Ambient lighting shows high spots much better than direct lighting. Once you dial in a time-frame for leveling the coating you can just replicate that around the car and should be golden.
    That's the thing. I don't know what I'm doing. Also I will be doing the whole process outside. Will this cause any problems?

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing, my clients told me that the new car is still wrapped and told the dealer not to wash it.
    Should he let the paint cure before we apply a coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDetails View Post
    That's the thing. I don't know what I'm doing. Also I will be doing the whole process outside. Will this cause any problems?
    My first coating I ever applied was the detailers pro coating. It was way super easy but also gave me an idea what I was looking for and there is plenty of time to level high spots.

My second coating job ever was cquartz and I had no issues. I have a lot of detailing experience which may have helped with the coating install. Cquartz needs to be leveled off correctly and kind of quickly. You have about 20-30 min typically before it becomes difficult to level I have found while working in the shop.

If you are doing it outside you will need to be in the shade and working on very cool paint. I have done one vehicle outside on a mobile job and it turned out great just stayed in full shade while working.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDetails View Post
    My process would be:
    - 2 buckets wash with Mr. Pink
    - Dry with drying towel and blower
    - Clay the car with light clay bar
    - First step polish with CG V36
    - Final polish with CG V38
    - Wipe down with IPA or Eraser
    - Apply Cquartz.

Other points I'd like to know.

How many towels should I expect using? Good microfibers towels are hard to come by in Canada. I have a 12 pack of CG El Gordo and tood my client to get a 12 pack also. Would it be enough?

What are "high spots" that was mentionned?
    I would use a better soap than Mr. Pink, it's nice for well maintained cars that have a weekly wash but it's one of the less powerful soaps out there in terms of cleaning ability. Try Citrus Wash or CarPro Iron-X snow soap.

Also, the chemical guys polishes are EXTREMELY oily (and not very effective at correction IMHO) and this might cause a problem when you're trying to chemically strip the paint to prep for the coating.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I just got done coating my car for a second time, after a failed gtechniq Evo v2 coating job. I used menzurna FG4000 to polish the car with and remove the old coating, then wiped down with gtechniq panel wipe. Followed by 22ple v3 glass coating. This was by far the easiest coating I have ever used as far as application and removal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Hayward View Post
    My second coating job ever was cquartz and I had no issues. I have a lot of detailing experience which may have helped with the coating install. Cquartz needs to be leveled off correctly and kind of quickly. You have about 20-30 min typically before it becomes difficult to level I have found while working in the shop.

If you are doing it outside you will need to be in the shade and working on very cool paint. I have done one vehicle outside on a mobile job and it turned out great just stayed in full shade while working.
    CQuartz has been re-formulated and doesn't have that long of a flash time. It now has similar flash times to CQUK where you only wait 1-2 mins before leveling if it's hot out.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    CQuartz has been re-formulated and doesn't have that long of a flash time. It now has similar flash times to CQUK where you only wait 1-2 mins before leveling if it's hot out.
    What I love about Polish Angel's Glasscoat Cosmic or Viking Coat Coatings is that none of that "flash time" stuff matters. You apply them like a sealant, let them cure, come back 30 or 45 minutes later depending on the product and wipe it off.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast