autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQuartz UK smearing and drying that way

Quote Originally Posted by dnoraker View Post
    It's the faint smearing like a polish that won't come off that's still there. I switch to a fresh towel and it doesn't help. It smears around but doesn't wipe off.
    Ok, now i understood what you actually meant. I initially thought you were referring to streaks. I have tried quite a number of coatings and my observation is it is actually normal for some coatings to act like that. There was once I wipe the same spot with 4 new towels and the smear is still there but that was with another coating. The most i could do is to thin it down as much as possible and even up the smear as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraDetailing View Post
    How long are you waiting to put on the second coat? If you decide to do that, you should wait for it to fully cure. You are probably softening the first coat with the second if you are doing it on the same day. I noticed the first time I used it that I couldn't wait long at all to buff it out, and to not use so much product. I did half a hood on a Dodge Ram, waited a minute, then buffed it out and it came out perfect. I thought maybe I should wait longer, and did the second half of the hood, one fender, and the driver door and went back to the hood to buff it and the suede cloth was sticking to it and completely ruining it. I used Wolfgang Perfekt Finish to clean it all back off and redo it. I got back to the door in time to buff it out, but the fender was too late like the hood. I had a rough time getting it off even when it was fresh, so not sure how bad it will be to get it off when it's cured. If you can't wipe it off any faster, you might be using too much product.
    I waited an hour for the second coat, per instructions I've read.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dschia View Post
    Ok, now i understood what you actually meant. I initially thought you were referring to streaks. I have tried quite a number of coatings and my observation is it is actually normal for some coatings to act like that. There was once I wipe the same spot with 4 new towels and the smear is still there but that was with another coating. The most i could do is to thin it down as much as possible and even up the smear as much as possible.
    it's more of an oily look. I thought maybe it would level out after awhile, but after it fully cured overnight, the look was still there like faint swirl marks. Not the high spots that look dark. I lightly polished the whole car with Essence and it was perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Hayward View Post
    I find that I do a bit heavier of a coating when I use cquartz and it comes out streak free. My tips are to use their suede towels to initially wipe down after applying and then switch to a standard microfiber towel to buff it perfectly. This seems to give me perfect results every time. Also making sure to use a lot of the small suede towels on the applicator. I typically use 1 for every 2 panels. As the coating cures up on those it starts to leave streaky results so they need to be changed out.
    I went to a heavier coat after watching the video CarPro has. I may have to try following with a microfiber after the suede.

I usually use two suede applicators- I do a quarter of the car with each side. I did notice the first applicator gumming up later in the job, so I switched to the new one. However, this was kind of a different issue. I got the smeary look even earlier with the first coat and a fresh applicator.

I just need to keep practicing and reading others' descriptions of their process.

The car turned out great in the end. A few of us guys were standing in the church parking lot this evening staring at it. They had never seen a car that glossy before. It was kind of fun to see their shock.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will like doing the microfiber after the suede towel. Sometimes I notice the suede towel smearing around the coating and not leveling it off well. The regular mf towels seem to clean it up really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I still think that the 68 degrees you are working in may be too much for UK. It was designed for colder environments. In warmer, its really a wipe on, wipe off application. Use the CP suede towels for initial wipe off and then follow with a good MF, and I find low nap MF works best.
    You still may see the halo look, but you dont want to keep wiping, because you are then wiping off the coating. My suggestion is to do one panel and then let it sure or infrared cure it, even better. Then see what that looks like.

HUMP
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have half my minivan, a Suburban, and Firebird to practice on. Sounds like I need to stick with the regular CQ.

Post Thanks / Like

I have half my minivan, a Suburban, and Firebird to practice on. Sounds like I need to stick with the regular CQ.
    I know everyone says to use cquartz classic if warmer but I have used UK on humid and hot days and had no issues. I currently stock bottles of both and use Classic in the summer months now just for the sake of it being recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I personally prefer the Polish Angel products, NO "practice" required for perfection. No leveling, no flashing, no one panel at a time. PA Invincible and Cosmic courtesy of autopia.com

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    that's why i personally prefer the polish angel products, no "practice" required for perfection. No leveling, no flashing, no one panel at a time. Pa invincible and cosmic courtesy of autopia.com

nice !!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast