autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing MF towels

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...crofibers.html

I soak, pre wash, wash and use vinegar in the rinse cycle.

I've used Tide Free and Clear in the past, now it's Wolfgang cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1957VwBeetle View Post
    Has anyone noticed a difference in cleaning abilities when using Wolfgang/Blackfire/Chemical Guys or other brand microfiber cleaners verses regular washer machine detergent?

Is it worth getting a microfiber cleaner instead? If anyone could explain their experience. It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Yes I've wondered the same thing, with BF/CGs so I'm using BF with new towels & CGs with dirty ones till I notice a diff. I tried a cheaper Gal.brand
    it made my towels crunchy, but from what I see, micro cleaners are removing the chemicals & smell, plus no softeners.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been cleaning as following:
    - Tatty towels (wheels, engine, exhaust, rubber cleaning, wash mitts) with regular tide in wash and DP Microfiber cleaner in the bleach compartment (of course setting the machine for a bleach cycle), which means they get washed twice, dry on low heat
    - Interior, drying towels, glass towels with DP, dry on low heat
    - Paint (polish, wax, QD) with DP, dry on low heat

I have been very happy with the DP (now probably BF) product, towels come out clean with only exception being those that start super dirty and had to throw very few of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    Not high heat though
    Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    I always dry mine at the lowest setting possible. Low heat as gentle as possible. Heat will ruin them.
    you can absolutely use medium heat and heat on your towels. plenty of people do, its discussed a ton and i've been doing it for years, never seen towel melt.

Ask cardaddy, the king of towels or search, lots of people use heat medium or high and the towels are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    IGNORANTLY?????

Say WHAT ? ! ? ! ? !!!!

Pray tell... WHERE did you hear such a thing?

As for how long it takes to dry a load.
    Well that depends on how many you're drying, what GSM and the like.
    For me... I tend to wash and dry at least 25~40 at a time. Drying takes a LOT longer than washing.

Unless you have a thermonuclear dryer... even high heat isn't going to hurt your towels.

Medium is what you should be using, on even the most delicate towels imho.
    Then again.... what do I know about towels.
    I mean, ME? Microfiber TOWELS? Shhhhhh... say it ain't so.

You'll more likely end up with worse towels from tumbling them around wet and never drying them than actually getting them dry and moving on.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailTrail View Post
    Yes I've wondered the same thing, with BF/CGs so I'm using BF with new towels & CGs with dirty ones till I notice a diff. I tried a cheaper Gal.brand
    it made my towels crunchy, but from what I see, micro cleaners are removing the chemicals & smell, plus no softeners.
    Thanks for the response! Do you notice if the BF/CG's brand removes more stains/dirt then a regular washer detergent? Do you feel it does a better job cleaning the towels?

I've always washed my microfiber on my Eco warm setting with regular washer detergent (gain) and have not been happy with them removing normal dirt and stains from my Glass or interior towels. Of course I always air dry and use no fabric softener or fabric sheet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1957VwBeetle View Post
    Thanks for the response! Do you notice if the BF/CG's brand removes more stains/dirt then a regular washer detergent? Do you feel it does a better job cleaning the towels?

I've always washed my microfiber on my Eco warm setting with regular washer detergent (gain) and have not been happy with them removing normal dirt and stains from my Glass or interior towels. Of course I always air dry and use no fabric softener or fabric sheet.

yeah don't use Gain, use Blackfire its a great detergent, or 3D can't go wrong. If you have an HE machine use wolfgang!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the time and space to hang dry I would recommend it. Would you rather A) hang dry knowing there is no possibility of damaging the towels but takes longer or B) machine dry convenience but there potentially could be long term ill effects.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I have a reasonable and effective method developed.
    1: DO NOT EVER mix glass towels with other towels. Do not mix linting glass towels with non-linting glass towels.
    This prevents streaking from substances found on non-glass towels, and minimizes lint on glass. Preferably, use MF detergent.
    2: Store glass towels in a plastic bag.
    3: Towels used on wheels and tires should be dedicated and never washed with other towels.
    4: MF detergent isn't required, but preferred.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

guys, heat from the dryer will not hurt your towels.. hasnt anyone ever heard of boiling them to remove stubborn waxes or bring back old towels to like new?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
    guys, heat from the dryer will not hurt your towels.. hasnt anyone ever heard of boiling them to remove stubborn waxes or bring back old towels to like new?
    I've never done that. Perhaps they feel softer because boiling them removes any crunchy residue?
    I've heard it explained like this: The fibers' ends are like thin little strip of plastic grocery bags and will become brittle with too much heat and cause fracturing. I dunno..
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast