autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brand New Silverado - Minor Swirls

Hey everyone!

I am new to car care detailing and only a weekend warrior doing it for myself and my wife's vehicle, so I am looking for an education because my technique or process is flawed. I have a brand new 2016 Silverado 1500 black and followed Mike's instructional video on Wolfgang products. I purchased a PC 7424xp (Amazon had them down to $89 last week. Couldn't pass it up), Chemical Guys 8 pad kit, Wolfgang Polish Enhancer, Wolfgang Fusion Carnauba, Meguiar's UC, UP, UW, 105, 205 and M26. I did test panels on the side of the truck before I am completing the entire process. Originally, I was convinced to do the truck by hand and shortly ordered the PC. The truck was washed with a foam gun, two buckets and a microfiber wash mitt and then hand dried with Meguiar's Water Magnet and compressed air. Afterwards, I clayed the hood, roof and the tailgate. Then, I applied leftover Iron X to the same areas.

Panel #1 Test- Hand Application
    1. Applied Wolfgang Polish Enhancer by hand Girot's Garage 3" Palm Pad & 3" Orange pad. Then removed with a microfiber.
    2. Applied Wolfgang Fusion Carnauba by hand Girot's Garage 3" Palm Pad & 3" Red pad. Then removed with a microfiber.

Panel #2 Test - PC DA Application
    1. Applied Meguiar's UP by PC with Chemical Guy's White pad. Then removed with a microfiber.
    2. Applied Meguiar's UW by PC with Chemical Guy's Black pad. Then removed with a microfiber.

Panel #3 Test- PC DA Application
    1. Applied Wolfgang Polish Enhancer by PC with Chemical Guy's White pad. Then removed with a microfiber.
    2. Applied Meguiar's M26 by PC with Chemical Guy's Black pad. Then removed with a microfiber.

All three panels still show minor swirls and exact same final finishes. Also, there are some minor scratches that were inherited from the dealership. So, I am led to believe it is the technique I am using or the improper padding. Any suggestions?

I want to correct this as I have a 2015 Lexus RX350, 2015 Acura MDX and a 2013 Lexus RX350 to get done in the next two weeks. I understand these are not brand new vehicles. The 2013 RX350 is black and swirl heaven waiting for me to teach myself! The 2015 Lexus RX350 is white and had pitted rust spots everywhere. Iron X did it's job on that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand New Silverado - Minor Swirls

sounds like you need to be more aggressive, also wolfgang polish enhancer has ZERO cut so don't expect it to eliminate swirls. Its a paint cleaner. Try UC and UP with some heavy cut pads...then step down to refine your surface.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Try 205 with a cutting pad at speed 6 and do at least 5 passes

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, guys. I was scared to put an abhrasive on the new paint, but now rereading my post and reading your comments I see that I never really used a cut. The paint looks better than the dealership chaos I inherited already, but the minor swirls make me go insane for the time I spent on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a black RX350 and had to get fairly aggressive with it - see pics
    ScottH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brand New Silverado - Minor Swirls-image-jpeg   Brand New Silverado - Minor Swirls-image-jpeg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the heads up. What did you use on it?

Here is one of about 20 holograms from the dealership. This was not a panel side I worked on yet.

Brand New Silverado - Minor Swirls-image-jpg