autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pricing questions

I was offered recently to detail a GMC denali. This is the current equivalent to the Body on Frame big suburban size truck for those who dont know. The owners dont trash the vehicle but dont go through what we do here.

I have never actually priced out a vehicle for something that would be fair and in a couple of ways im a bit nervous of screwing up pricing so much that I lose money for the work I do.

Does anybody have suggestions for pricing out something that would be a rough estimate or some guidance on how to price things out?

Some things to think out:
    If I do correction it would be more experienced based but would want to be compensated fairly.
    I want to get paid well overall but not feel like im overcharging.

A friend I know who also details said just do 100 for exterior and interior. I feel if the car is relatively clean, fine, do it, but this thing is most likely bad
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pricing questions

I would say $150-200
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of factors that go into pricing a vehicle.....what is your skill set/skill level? what are others in your area charging for what you're planning on doing? what are the customers expectations/standards? how bad is the paint...do you have to do any correction>

Post Thanks / Like

I would say im not close to someone like jose fernandez or renny doyle or mike here but I can do almost everything. I am living in a wealthy area and the price of something similar is about 500 dollars for a single stage correction with all the steps before it.

Customer probably expects a stereotypical detail and cleanup but wants someone better than a basic shop.

I have seen the paint and it is hammered in swirl marks and things
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

These GMC Denali vehicles are huge and very tall and you need to charge more than $100. I washed one today and it took awhile to just wash, dry, and wipe down the wheels

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about 250 without paint correction. I would at least think its about 300 around average in the US to charge without paint correction. That is also why I have my boars hair brush too. Makes it much easier to wash a car that size. Leaf blower dry might have to happen too
    Bill 1234

Post Thanks / Like

For a reference, when I was in Hawaii, which is not necessarily more expensive for services as you might think, we would have charged $350 for our full service detail. That included rinseless wash, clay bar, single stage polish, and wax, then exterior dressing applied to trim, door and window seals, and the tires The interior included vacuum and shampoo for the carpets and floor mats, cleaning of all hard surfaces, leather cleaning, and interior dressing. Windows too. Sealant was an extra $75, which seemed kind of high to me, but that's what my buddy charged and people paid for it regularly. I would say these prices are on the slightly high side of average. But it really depends on how much work you're actually doing. It would take two of us about 3.5 hours on average for this detail, and one person 5 hours. I would say a decent and fair price would equal to about $50/hr if you are confident in your ability to do good work and not take all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    I have never actually priced out a vehicle for something that would be fair and in a couple of ways im a bit nervous of screwing up pricing so much that I lose money for the work I do.
    How can you lose money when you don't actually have a business that has any expenses? So you might use a dollar worth of wash, a $25 clay bar (except I thought you bought a clay substitute), 2 or 4 bucks worth of wheel cleaner, possibly $5 worth of polish if you buy in small bottles, and what, a few dollars of LSP if you use an expensive one. So as long as you charge at least $40 you are going to "break even".

I still never understand why you are doing these jobs Bill, is it to make money, is it to gain experience, is it to help out a friend, is it because you talk a good game about detailing so people assume you actually do it and then you're embarrassed to back out? You never seem to have enough time with the vehicle to do what you intend to do, so as I have counseled you before, you need to talk to the "customer" and find out what their expectations are and how long they can leave the vehicle with you, and you have to be prepared to know what you can do and how long it will take.

Will you have a "helper"? I'm also presuming this rig won't fit in anyone's garage, so factor in that it's summer and it's hot out and you probably won't have any shade. Since this is a big vehicle and you never seem to have enough time to get to polishing, I wouldn't plan on doing any more than AIO polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    I was thinking about 250 without paint correction.
    So what are you offering the customer for $250 and no paint correction? Exterior wash and interior wipedown and vacuum? Dress the tires? Clay? LSP?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say im not close to someone like jose fernandez or renny doyle or mike here but I can do almost everything. I am living in a wealthy area and the price of something similar is about 500 dollars for a single stage correction
    !!!! Where do you live? 500$.....I'm moving lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by precisionmobile85 View Post
    I would say im not close to someone like jose fernandez or renny doyle or mike here but I can do almost everything. I am living in a wealthy area and the price of something similar is about 500 dollars for a single stage correction
    !!!! Where do you live? 500$.....I'm moving lol
    Sorry meant to quote.....but seriously where I live you couldn't get over $150 for a prep and single stage correction. Maybe 175 and that's pushing it!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast