autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pressure washer, how much is too much?

Is there such a thing as too much? I was looking at a PowerStroke 3100 2.8GPM gas pressure washer. I know you use the car wash nozzle, but I want to get a foam cannon to aid in washing. Is this to much should I get 2500 2.4GPM,...? Appreciate the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure washer, how much is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Jomak View Post
    Is there such a thing as too much? I was looking at a PowerStroke 3100 2.8GPM gas pressure washer. I know you use the car wash nozzle, but I want to get a foam cannon to aid in washing. Is this to much should I get 2500 2.4GPM,...? Appreciate the input.
    Hey Jomak, I am sure there is such a thing as too much as if you are not careful I have heard of people taking paint off cars/ painted wheels.
    I have a electric SunJoe 2200PSI 1.8GPM and it works great with my MTM foam canon. Lathers up cars very nicely. Will you just be using it for cars or will you also be using it for other things around the house? i.e. Decks, patio, fence etc.

https://youtu.be/jQ4q1AOs3kI
    Raydiant Reflections Auto Detailing
    Website
    Facebook

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Hey Jomak, I am sure there is such a thing as too much as if you are not careful I have heard of people taking paint off cars/ painted wheels.
    I have a electric SunJoe 2200PSI 1.8GPM and it works great with my MTM foam canon. Lathers up cars very nicely. Will you just be using it for cars or will you also be using it for other things around the house? i.e. Decks, patio, fence etc.
    I would like to wash my other things like decking, driveway, and so on. I don't want to damage the paint on my car!

Post Thanks / Like

I have two. A reasonable sized electric from Costco. Snap-On 2200psi.
    And a Honda powered Karcher 4400psi. Which is actually a little too light weight for paint removal (on houses) or cleaning concrete driveways. I have used it on cars or heavy equipment in areas where there is no electricity and I can just throttle it down or lower the pressure using the regulator.

I rented a 10,000psi diesel heated washer to clean the sidewalk in front of a friend's restaurant once and it was perfect for the job. It blasted off all the old gum, tar, stains, and graffiti spray paint.

Post Thanks / Like

2000-2200psi is more than enough for vehicle detailing. I would utilize an electric unit for detailing rather than a gas unit as you won't have to deal with the associated noise as you will use it quite a bit in this aspect.

You can run a gas unit in detailing and double as other uses around the house but remember the noise, weight, and needing to fuel it up to run it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wanting gas. It's not a big deal as all my tools are gas now. I'd like one unit to handle what I want on my 1.2 acres. I need mobility.

Is the PowerStroke 3100 2.8GPM good, overkill?

Post Thanks / Like

For car wash , anything min 1600 would be okay.

Ideally 2000 psi, 2.0 Gpm would be perfect, but I use 1600 psi 1.2 gpm and works okay even for foam cannon. Foams do run out bit faster tho
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Just don't put the nozzle too close to your paint and you will be fine. Think about how much pressure the coin-top sprayers have. Never hear any stories about people destroying their paint there. I'm sure you could do some damage if common sense was not applied.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jomak View Post
    I was wanting gas. It's not a big deal as all my tools are gas now. I'd like one unit to handle what I want on my 1.2 acres. I need mobility.

Is the PowerStroke 3100 2.8GPM good, overkill?
    Sounds like a great choice..... also, the choice of nozzle will also dictate how much pressure would be used.... so don't fear "too much pressure".
    --Shagnat

Post Thanks / Like

1500-2000psi and 2.0 GPM is about ideal for cars and is about what most coin-opps will run at. Some of the more powerful units have a dial you can adjust to crank the pressure down with too. I had a 240v electric unit for a while that was 2750psi and 3.0 GPM and it was too much IMO and I dialed it down a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast