autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice needed: 3" polisher or 5" conversion (another help me spend my money thread)

I've been lucky enough to have $150 in gift certificates to work with to expand my arsenal (Merry x-mas/ Happy Father's Day!)

I'm gearing up for full corrections on my A6 avant and wife's Q5. From a non-geek standpoint, I have everything I would need to do the job for both cars. From a geek perspective (especially one with $150 burning a hole in my pocket), I've been considering using that money to either add a Griot's 3 inch polisher and pads or get a 5 inch vented backing plate and pads to go with it.

I'm leaning towards the 3" polisher to help with tight spaces. I know getting a smaller backing plate for my GG6 (current gen) is an option, but I worry about it being a little unwieldy for tight spots.

The 5" conversion is still tempting, as I know it would speed correction and make it a bit easier to navigate some of the more contoured areas of the Q5. My only struggle with the 5" conversion is I'm kinda all in on the 6" setup - I already have the BOSS pads and innerflex pad on hand (in addition to the rest of my 6 and 6.5" pad selection), so I have a bit of a hard time potentially superseding them already.

If needed I can list out my inventory for the jobs, but figured I'd try and keep this as succinct as I could.

Looking forward to input from those who've done this more than I have!

John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice needed: 3" polisher or 5" conversion (another help me spend my money thread)

you can get the three inch and the 5" conversion kit for a little more than you have a gift certificate for.....polisher is 104.99 and conversion kit is 59.99...available right here on Autogeek

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice needed: 3" polisher or 5" conversion (another help me spend my money thread)

Good point, but I still need to get pads for the smaller machine. Also, I was looking at matching the BOSS pads I have in the 6.5" size, which brings the dollars up a bit. I guess the proper comparison would be 3" polisher + pads to go with it VS 5 inch backing plate + BOSS 6 pack + innerflex.

But, your idea confirms my initial instinct: More stuff. Just get more stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Save up your coin and get the Rupes Bigfoot Nano Polisher kit. Way easier than a 3" Griot's and runs much cooler. Only used the polish and the 2" Polishing pad (with the longer throw) but WOW. Corrected some sandable scratches using just the polishing (yellow) pads and speed 2. Completely gone and super shine. Tried again on scuff on B-Pillars, same great results. I know is way more than you have in "the bank" but in IMHO get the Nano and consider the debate closed. I don"t know how good the cutting pads and compound are but based on "use the least aggressive method first" I will proceed with caution. This is one powerful tool (not even in rotary mode yet).
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

End position will be you will have machine for each size and corresponding pads..

The what to do forst depends on where your cras are currently limitting you with the current set-up..

ie 6 to 5 is not a big jump and if you have pretty good access with 6 then 5 isn't going to make a huge difference..

If you (as i have found) would benefit massivley from the 3" for the detail areas then thats the got to..

As i have learned converting a 5" with just a 3" backing plate and pads makes it terribly balanced and rough as guts on your hands with extended use..
    Far better to have a 3" machine, 6" machine and perhaps in due course 5"' machine..

I started with a 5", got a second and used as a 3" (warrany freebie but god awful vibes..) and a rotary...

I run 3, 5 and 6 inch pads across the range.. (finishing to heavy cut, denim and wool.. ).

End of thday its about having the right tool for the job...

Enjoy your purchase..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the input. Unfortunately the Rupes is waaay outta budget.

I ended up doing the appropriate AG thing, and getting the 3" machine, Polishing and wax pads for it; then the 5" conversion kit to try out along with the 5.5" Boss Correcting pads. Figure I don't need to stock up on a whole pad assortment beyond that right out of the gate. Spent a bit beyond the gift certificate, but am now stocked up.

Until the recent $5 shipping sale, then I also got Opti-Seal and some Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant.

Dang you AG, you always win.

John

Post Thanks / Like

The 3" Griot's machine is notoriously underpowered. I don't think you will be happy with it for removing any type of defects.

I think you would have been better off getting a 3" set up for the GG6, an old PC works even better.

My 3" set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Totally valid opinion. I know I had seen some people mention that while I was researching it. But I also saw more than one reference to the GG6 being a little unwieldy as a 3" machine.

Given I'm strictly an enthusiast still learning all the facets of detailing, I'd rather err on the side of caution. No matter what it'll be an upgrade from my current situation (hand polishing or trying to thread the 6" into spots).

John